Want to pull the trigger on an xpipe, last minute questions. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Exhaust Tech

Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
LoudAsFck

Default Want to pull the trigger on an xpipe, last minute questions.

Keep or ditch the resonators? Ill can the mid muff and pup cats but from what I read the resonators just help to smooth things out a bit? I dont mind a bit of rasp but I like the deep sound I have now with the loudmouths just want it a bit louder Start up is great but I feel like its choked after that. Thoughts?

Also whats the effect on drone? doesn't bother me a ton right now but highway driving can be annoying without the radio on.
LoudAsFck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Supercharged

Xpipe only leave the resonators. If its still not loud enough then cut them out. Xpipe will cut down on highway speed drone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Show: Tint 15% rear/35% sides, 6K HID's, LED Fogs, Autodim rearview, bass boost powered by KICKER & 2 JL 12's, debadged. Sharkfin, GXP Diffuser, 20x9 Chrome Camaro 20's, CTS-V Brembos, BMR Sways, In Dash NAV Kit, and Black and Blue Recaro Booster Seat.
Go: Kooks Mids, RotoFab, SC Tuner
Wants:lots of em
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
LoudAsFck

Thanks man appreciate the help, just ordered the parts cant wait!
LoudAsFck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Chappy
BANGARANG!!!

Turn off AFM to get the drone to go away.
Demon8Designs dash pod/Speedhut canbus gauges, SV6 Wing/Firehawk Hood/Roof Wrap by BCE Designs-Las Vegas,Tune by Sullivan GM Performance-Las Vegas
Dyno'd at Dynojet U.S.A. Headquarters
340RWHP/360RWT

Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Had my first cold start with my x-pipe installed (installed yesterday). Awesomeness. I have stock axlebacks on, so I've been looking for a little more sound. This satisfied me for the time being.

Also, without removing the resonators, I noticed the exhaust note (when reved) has a little more rasp in it. Not much at all, but I like it.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT
RotoFab CAI, Pace Setter long tube headers,
X-Pipe, Hooker Maxflow Axlebacks waiting to be installed, Cincy Speed dyno tune.

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

30% Tint, V8 6.0 Litre badges, Pontiac lettering debadge on the trunk
foreosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
bostonf4$

I took 'em off - all of it - mid muffler and resonators and had the exhaust shop add a little straight pipe in (no pup cats I have an 08) - why? Because I wanted a 2.5" "catback" but didn't want to pay stupid money for one. I pieced it together myself (what I've done w/ most cars/trucks) - and had an exhaust shop do the rest.

Get rid of all of it....the resonators I'm sure flow "OK" but I bet straight pipe flows better....
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
BLKG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreosu View Post
Had my first cold start with my x-pipe installed (installed yesterday). Awesomeness. I have stock axlebacks on, so I've been looking for a little more sound. This satisfied me for the time being.

Also, without removing the resonators, I noticed the exhaust note (when reved) has a little more rasp in it. Not much at all, but I like it.
Can you post a video of your exhaust setup. Id really like to here what the longtubes, xpipe, and stock axlebacks sound like. Same setup i'm thinking about running.
BLKG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
2lazy4agoodname

Keep the reso's. They will cut down the rasp. I pretty much have the same set up with the solos and it sounds incredible.
Solo / Vararam / CTS-V Brembos / BMR
UPR / VMR V701/ Lovells

11.04 @ 125.14
09 WH GXP M6 (#1828 of 1829)
Roto-Fab
2lazy4agoodname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKG8 View Post
Can you post a video of your exhaust setup. Id really like to here what the longtubes, xpipe, and stock axlebacks sound like. Same setup i'm thinking about running.
Sure thing - I will take one with my iPhone today when I leave for lunch and see how that sounds. If it doesn't do it justice, I can make another tonight (or first thing tomorrow morning) with our good Canon camera at home.

For someone like me who loves the way all "muscle cars" sound, but uses my G8 as my daily driver AND has a wife (and two small kids) who can't handle a loud exhaust, the headers to x-pipe to stock axlebacks was really my best option. At idle and cruising, it isn't much louder than stock (initial start-up is louder, but it calms down quickly). But when you put the pedal to the floor, it screams pretty good.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT
X-Pipe, Hooker Maxflow Axlebacks waiting to be installed, Cincy Speed dyno tune.

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
Agose25

I opted to keep my resonators intact, but have heard a resonator-less set up in person and it sounded mean and tolerable for sure, but did have an edge of rasp especially up in the higher RPM ranges.

Agose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Bill in pgh

I'm thinking of doing the same. I like the sound of my Kook's Mids into the stock GXP cat back but would like it to be just a little lowder. Not sure what to do probable x-pipe first and then resonators if I need more and Corsa if all else fails. Any thoughts?
2009 LR G8 GXP M6 #537 Born on 11/17/2008
2300 Magnuson 3.0 pulley,#60 injectors, KB BAP, 1 7/8 Kooks Mids with high flow cats, into X-Pipe into stock GXP axle back, (mid muffler/Resonator delete), Roto-Fab CAI, McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, GForce axles, Hurst short throw shifter, BMR rear trailer arms. 555 RWHP 505 RWTQ.
Bill in pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Agose25

^ Xpipe will definitely increase sound. I think you are right on track with your plan, better to start with Resonators then gut everything and find out its not to your liking.

Agose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Skittledg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Turn off AFM to get the drone to go away.
whats AFM
Skittledg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
GT Drew

No restriction here.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Alright here's a couple crappy iPhone videos. One outside of the car sitting still and one short in-car with the windows up.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alright here's a couple crappy iPhone videos. One outside of the car sitting still and one short in-car with the windows up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G3SHP4zZnc&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRzJPvbUVUs&sns=em
Sounds pretty quiet. but if you like it thats all that matters
Troy Trackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Trackbeast View Post
Sounds pretty quiet. but if you like it thats all that matters
Quiet compared to your car, for sure! Or vs any other car with an aftermarket axleback on. I like it for its Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde ability - quiet when cruising, but comes to live when you get on it.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
Ryans09G8

I love the sound of your set-up! I am in the same boat with you: I love the muscle car sound but it is my DD and I need it tame.

Thanks so much for the clips I'll be going Kooks Mids, xpipe, stock GT axel-backs so this was perfect!

Ryan
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quiet compared to your car, for sure! Or vs any other car with an aftermarket axleback on. I like it for its Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde ability - quiet when cruising, but comes to live when you get on it.
That is for sure! Pure bliss when you go WOT after long tubes have been installed, regardless of stock or any other axle back!!

I was truly blown away by the power increase after the LT's and a real tune. By far the best thing you can do for these cars! And they can hold their own with those mods as well. I was able to run a 12.8 @ 108 with tune and headers w/ 800DA. A 50 degree day and 0 or negative DA and they are more than capable of hitting 12.5's!

it will surprise people what the car is really capable of, just ask my buddy in his $70k E92 M3! Now hes too scared to run again... that's one thing after the cam I have noticed, people be scared unless they have FI
Troy Trackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
Nothin_But_Tail_Lights

What's wrong with having a little sound and speed in a daily driver? I drive mine every day, rain or shine. Well, or snow for that matter, which is coming soon lol. I say get rid of the resonators, I had it both ways on my 08 G8, and liked it much better without them. But that's just my two cents.

2009 Red G8 GT - Daily driver
Maggie 2300 @ 9 psi with rear 1:1 cog drive, KB BAP, Livernois Stage 1 Cam Kit, 3 Bar Map, Milled Heads, Ported TB & Intake, Doug Thorley LT headers, Borla exhaust, Roto Fab CAI, Eibach lowering Springs, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, GXP Front Fascia and Rear Diffuser, Tuned by Livernois Motorsports...
592rwhp & 544rwtq

Nothin_But_Tail_Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement