automatic transmission is Boggy, sloppy & unsorted! Grrr. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Drivetrain Tech

Drivetrain Tech 5L40 A5 / 6L80 A6 / TR6060 M6 / ZF Rear Diff

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Kirkinsb

Default automatic transmission is Boggy, sloppy & unsorted! Grrr.

I know our G8 Gts are plagued with an automatic tranmission that bogs in a tall gear, hesitates, shifts reeeeeally soft, and at times "hunts" for the right gear. Mine seems to do all the above. I have never felt a tranny that seems to "fight" the car as much as the G8 automatic tranny does.

Mine is stock and unless I am in manual mode....the car is frustrating to drive aggressively.

In the regular and sport mode, it oftens bogs in a high gear and does not drop a gear in order to get moving when I hammer the gas.

Only exception is if I am driving either 20-24mph and hammer it or about 45mph and hammer it. Then it takes off and rips. But just about any other speed, it bogs in a tall gear.

Is that pretty typical??? I feel the need to get a cortex tune...(I have no custom tune shops where I live) do you think a cortex tune will help.

This transmission really annoys me. It just seems to fight the car.
2009 Switchblade Silver G8 GT. Cortex Rotofab 91 tune, BBS wheels, V8 & V badging. MagnaFlow Axlebacks, Black Colgan Front Bra, Spectre CAI, 12" JL Powerwedge Sub in truck with 375watts & Infinity Kappa 62.9i in all doors, GXP Rear Diffuser, M&P 40c w/viridian laser/light for protection.
Kirkinsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Agose25

Yep, par for the course. The Cortex will improve the transmission settings quite well and can be dialed in for more aggressive or tame settings to your liking. I had mine for a couple years but upgraded when I switched out my headers.

Agose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
dandragonrage
Plastidip is awful

Normal, and don't touch a Cortex tune. Talk to Patrick Guerra (Patrick G) instead.
dandragonrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Sheffield Steve

I would try a Cortex.

The reason I bought one was because of the transmission issues and it solved them all to me.

p.s. If you buy a used one (off the board) you will easily be able to sell it and get your money back if you decide a custom tune is needed
Sheffield Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Slizzo

Car will also bog if traction control is on. Torque management and traction control are very intrusive in the stock tune.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Kirkinsb

Slizzo, yep...I take traction control off. Still have the conditions above.
2009 Switchblade Silver G8 GT. Cortex Rotofab 91 tune, BBS wheels, V8 & V badging. MagnaFlow Axlebacks, Black Colgan Front Bra, Spectre CAI, 12" JL Powerwedge Sub in truck with 375watts & Infinity Kappa 62.9i in all doors, GXP Rear Diffuser, M&P 40c w/viridian laser/light for protection.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Slizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkinsb View Post
Yup, all in the tune then.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Blanky

What state are you in? I have had the cortex tune and while it is a step above the stock tune I don't feel it is worth the money. Pat G can easily send you a tune 10 times better than a harsh shifting handheld tune.
Redline
Blanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Kirkinsb

Just talked with Pat G. I am confident his tune is superior for sure. Cost is double as well compared to a cortex...which I undertsand...because he puts a lot of his own time and expertise into reviewing the data logs and then adjusting.

I need to save $625 now for the Pat G tune!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
AllenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkinsb View Post
My wife's G8 GT does the same thing as above even with the T/C off and in Sport mode etc...

I love her car,but the way the transmission acts is totally foreign to me! I just can't get used to how it acts. Normal driving is fine,but sometimes it just seems lost when you get on it! When it goes it goes though! Wow!

I will give an example from just tonight. I decided to romp on it on the short stretch of road from a stop sign by my house to the next stop sign. This is a distance of maybe an 1/8 mile. I'm in Sport mode with the traction control off,and I pulled out from the stop sign and decided to get down on it all the way. It doesn't seem to kick all the way down so I mashed the gas again,but it's a second or two before it kicks all the way down like I think it should. By then it's almost time to slow down for the turn to my house. When I get on it I want it go right then! Sometimes the shifts seem too jerky to me at low speeds especially when you first start the car up.

I can't overemphasize how much I love our G8 though! This is still the nicest car I've ever owned by far!
AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
GXPaycheck

Dealer can due a relearn on the trans. Might flush out some stray electrons. Maybe the fluid level is low?

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), Magnetic Silver, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red
VCM, Magnaflow axle-backs, WAMS IWM/VIM, Back-up camera with JHP autoswitch, Homelink by Snakey, Pedders bushings

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof. One of 144
Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The Board That Shall Not Be Named"!
GXPaycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Kirkinsb

Because of ease of installation and cost, I went with the SC cortex tuner. I have only driven my car less than 10 miles because it decided to snow here. But I could immediately tell the difference in the transmission with the Rotofab 91 octane tune. I have heard it takes some driving time for the tune to really take ahold. Not sure if that is really true.

Anyway, I have been driving around my 1999 Ford Expedition which looks and drives like new (I seriously bought it from a little old lady who never drove it) So, I don't mind driving it, but I am really excited to get some miles on my G8GT to see how the tune takes ahold and performs.

I will report when I get some driving time.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
GMCustomerService

We’re glad you like the G8, AllenK. Please, don’t hesitate to make an appointment with the dealership as GXPaycheck has suggested.

Michelle, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
AllenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerService View Post
We’re glad you like the G8, AllenK. Please, don’t hesitate to make an appointment with the dealership as GXPaycheck has suggested.

Michelle, GM Customer Service
Michelle and GXPaycheck,

I'm having the motor mounts replaced under warranty on my wife's G8 to see if it will cure the AFM lugging. I'm going to mention this problem to the dealership whenever I get the work done on the mounts for sure.
AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
bluegoat06
HPT Pro Tuner

Our trans tune is sloppy from the factory, and the dealers can't do nothing to fix that unless you had a trans with bad seals, which would only address some an specific trans issue, the shifts would continue to be sloppy because the factory calibration seems to have been made thinking the G8 was a Camry , such piece of work that even sloppy can tunes would make the trans feel better to drive.

Hopefully GM would do a better job in the new SS. They should learn a couple of things just watching our forum, as well as all other LSX powered car forums, where the 6l80e/6l90e is involved.

2009 G8GT , Gone But Not Forgotten
Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | Rotofab CAI | LS7 MAF |102 mm MAF Housing |Blox VS |1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Yank SS 3200 stall | Deep Sump 6L80e Pan Kit | B&M 70273 Trans Cooler |HPTuners Pro v2.24 | Street Tuned | 7.80@91.05mph 1.79 60'
bluegoat06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
gr8lover

doubt they will use the 6l80 or 6l90....
gr8lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Gordon0652

These cars with just a good tune especially in the transmission is like night and day.
Gordon0652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
Oneg808

Well... If you don't ever get enough saved up for the tune I have a cortex for sale!!!!! I'll give ya a good deal on it, if need be. Other wise, if you have the money definitely get a tune from Pat~!
2008 G8 GT, Vararam, H&R's, Straight Pipes, Pace Setter Long Tube Headers, Pat G tune, Pat G custom cam, DOD delete from pace performance, TSW Valencia Wheels; 20X10 Rear, 20X8.5 Front, Brembo brakes with drilled and slotted rotors, 5% tint "So you can't see up in my windows!", debagged, Smoked out, GXP diffuser, GXP front facia, HID Kit 12K, HPJUNKIE HID fogs, and more to come!
Oneg808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Kirkinsb

I am so darn excited to get home (at my Sister-in-Laws now) 500 miles away from my G8for the holidays. Hope the stinkin snow is gone when I get home.. I am ready for a better shifting G8GT. They are horrible shifing beasts from the factory. I could hardly believe it. (I bought my car sight unseen before driving it...and not knowing how sloppy the shifting was) The last automatic sports car I had was a 1975 Trans Am 6.6 litre that shifted a hell of a lot better than my G8. GM missed the boat on the calibration.

I think Bluegoat is right...a dealer relearn would simply reuse the sloppy factory calibration.

I immediatly noticed the difference with a Cortex tune with under 10 miles on the car.

I also think AFM is gimmicky...just thought I would throw that in! ha.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
bluegoat06
HPT Pro Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
doubt they will use the 6l80 or 6l90....
Nice, can you spill the beans on the new trans model ? , at least the name

We just needed a little help from the aftermarket tuning market to make the current ones shift as they should, Don't know if the team that performs the calibration in the current transmissions, is the same they use for the trucks, which would explain why they didn't calibrate things up with more performance in mind, damn it even my wife's 2009 Honda Oddy shifts better than what my G8 did in stock trim. Granted, the Honda is not a performance oriented sport muscle car, but is not like 6lxxe trans aren't strong enough to hold it together lowering the shift times and increasing shift pressures here and there. i know they wanted reliability, but geez, how much more TM the trans calibration team think we can handle? we have to let them know we bought a V8 high performance powered car, not a Chevy Malibu , The Camaro and Vette folks have the same complaint out of the stock trans calibration.

2009 G8GT , Gone But Not Forgotten
Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | Rotofab CAI | LS7 MAF |102 mm MAF Housing |Blox VS |1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Yank SS 3200 stall | Deep Sump 6L80e Pan Kit | B&M 70273 Trans Cooler |HPTuners Pro v2.24 | Street Tuned | 7.80@91.05mph 1.79 60'
bluegoat06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement