Think I found a deal on a G8. Thoughts - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > G8 GT Talk (V8)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
lee52482

Default Think I found a deal on a G8. Thoughts

I'm in the market to buy a G8 GT. I found one for $17k but it has 67K+ miles on it. Is this a deal or should I keep looking?

The carfax show's 2 owners. The second owner took the car to the dealership religiously for maintenance, for 58k miles. So I figure it was taken good care of.

I want some opinions before I pull the trigger on this. Help!

Last edited by lee52482; 01-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.
lee52482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
knglibrty

There was a 08 GT with 81k for 17k where i got mine from last nite, but i love the sales lady showed me a 09 GT with26k on it and bought that one. They wanted 23k for mine but with my SBM as trade i got her for15k....
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
knglibrty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
soup070

It sounds about right, depends on what issues were address while at the dealership. Check to see if the front lower control arms & if the strut mounts have been changed posibble under warranty. Mine havn't been changed yet in 40k, but others have had issues with them and had them changed before 15k. Other than that these cars are bullitt proff for the most, there are several that reported ZERO problems beyond 100k, others have made it to 200k+ with very little issues. If it was taken care of and taking for its normal maintenance then there should be no issues.

Others may chime in on their issues, but havn't had an big issues other than some mods that end up making trouble for me. Good luck in your search, ?color?
LLumar Ceramic Tint 40/30/15, 3400k HIDs, Pontiac cargo tray, 18" Drag-37 wheels,
BMR Sways, HSV Engine Cover & Clubsport Wheels, Yellow +09 CTSv Brembos
5 Year Plan: Kooks Mids, 3.27 Dif, Pat G Tune, HSV Front Guards & Flutes, E3 front bumper
soup070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
biggestg8fan

Check it out. If the car is clean and in good condition it sounds like a real great deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
2008 Liquid Red G8 Gt #825
Rotofab, Solo axle back, GXP diffuser, spyder led tails, and some other cosmetic mods
biggestg8fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
lee52482

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup070 View Post
It sounds about right, depends on what issues were address while at the dealership. Check to see if the front lower control arms & if the strut mounts have been changed posibble under warranty. Mine havn't been changed yet in 40k, but others have had issues with them and had them changed before 15k. Other than that these cars are bullitt proff for the most, there are several that reported ZERO problems beyond 100k, others have made it to 200k+ with very little issues. If it was taken care of and taking for its normal maintenance then there should be no issues.

Others may chime in on their issues, but havn't had an big issues other than some mods that end up making trouble for me. Good luck in your search, ?color?
It's White Hot w/ black and red interior
Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
lee52482

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestg8fan View Post
Check it out. If the car is clean and in good condition it sounds like a real great deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Thanks. That what I was thinking. Only downside so far is I have to drive 9 hours to get it. But I know it will be worth it!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
arkeeling
Lowly Peon

Sounds like a good deal test drive it.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
ChrisG

I got mine with 72k for 17k it was a great deal. I would have paid 2k more without a second thought for a white one. I would test drive it and see how you like it. I think its a good deal

2009 WH M6 G8 Gxp-Monster Stage 2 clutch, Roto-Fab.

Past:2008 G8 GT- Pacesetter LT, Corsa cat back, Roto-Fab, Pat G tune.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

sounds fair, test drive her without the radio on and windows up. Listen for noises and feel for any loose feeling in the steering wheel. Run her up to 90 on the highway and scare the piss out of your salesperson, then ask for another thousand off!

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

SRG963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
knglibrty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee52482 View Post
Thanks. That what I was thinking. Only downside so far is I have to drive 9 hours to get it. But I know it will be worth it!
Only 9 hours, some have driven coast to coast.. .

former missile silo
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
knglibrty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Tonygxp

that's a good/fair price if the car is clean. good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
pony killer

Nine hours is a long drive for a test drive. Coast to coast seems crazy unless its a firehawk. I had a 300 something mile ride for mine and to test drive it but the deal was that if I got it he'd have to drive it to me . Which worked out do to the paper work and dmv crap. Sounds like a good price if she's been maintained well. Brakes ,tires and an oil change in of itself can add up quick . I had a mechanical buddy go with me to look for those things I may miss. Also if its raining ,it can hide blemishes. I had no choice and had looked at mine on a rainy day . You could make out major scratches but I missed on how bad the paint chips on the front bumper actually where. Another crappy thing is if they warranty it and you have an issue,its a long trip or tow back . Well good luck. Patience is a great virtue . It took around a year for me to get mine .
pony killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Transporter

I flew from Cleveland to Delaware to pick up a 2006 Solstice. Test drive was the ride home.
You don't say if its an 08 or 09 but either way. I paid 22k for an 09 with 44k on the clock which was bought and serviced at the same dealer. Got complete service records. I'm completely satisfied. Just make sure all the recall work was done. The rest is common sense. Sounds like a good deal. Good luck. Oh, certified used is a big plus.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
leburns81

Seeing as its that far away, somebody from the board might help you out, give it a quick test drive. Get a full report for you, we also know (some from experience) what to look for. Up to you if you want to post a location or pm someone close to it. I'm in VA and willing to look it over if its somewhat close.

Sent from my XT901 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
lee52482

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
I got mine with 72k for 17k it was a great deal. I would have paid 2k more without a second thought for a white one. I would test drive it and see how you like it. I think its a good deal
Yeah I've been battling with the color as well. I narrowed it down to black and white but the price for the white one kind of squashed that dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
sounds fair, test drive her without the radio on and windows up. Listen for noises and feel for any loose feeling in the steering wheel. Run her up to 90 on the highway and scare the piss out of your salesperson, then ask for another thousand off!
I'll do all that, minus that last thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonygxp View Post
that's a good/fair price if the car is clean. good luck!
Thanks brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony killer View Post
Nine hours is a long drive for a test drive. Coast to coast seems crazy unless its a firehawk. I had a 300 something mile ride for mine and to test drive it but the deal was that if I got it he'd have to drive it to me . Which worked out do to the paper work and dmv crap. Sounds like a good price if she's been maintained well. Brakes ,tires and an oil change in of itself can add up quick . I had a mechanical buddy go with me to look for those things I may miss. Also if its raining ,it can hide blemishes. I had no choice and had looked at mine on a rainy day . You could make out major scratches but I missed on how bad the paint chips on the front bumper actually where. Another crappy thing is if they warranty it and you have an issue,its a long trip or tow back . Well good luck. Patience is a great virtue . It took around a year for me to get mine .
Thanks for that. My significant other says to wait given the distance and time frame of it all. But I've been wanting the G8 since it came out. I've been driving an Acura RSX, so I'm just done with that little POS and ready for big boy toys! Also I'm a DIY kind of guy so maintenance isn't that big of a deal for me. If the Powertrain goes bad I still have 30K+ miles to play with to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
I flew from Cleveland to Delaware to pick up a 2006 Solstice. Test drive was the ride home.
You don't say if its an 08 or 09 but either way. I paid 22k for an 09 with 44k on the clock which was bought and serviced at the same dealer. Got complete service records. I'm completely satisfied. Just make sure all the recall work was done. The rest is common sense. Sounds like a good deal. Good luck. Oh, certified used is a big plus.
It's an '09. If the recall work is not done it's still possible to get the work done, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leburns81 View Post
Seeing as its that far away, somebody from the board might help you out, give it a quick test drive. Get a full report for you, we also know (some from experience) what to look for. Up to you if you want to post a location or pm someone close to it. I'm in VA and willing to look it over if its somewhat close.

Sent from my XT901 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I'm in Maryland myself. The car is in Michigan very close to the Canadian border.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
Transporter

It's an '09. If the recall work is not done it's still possible to get the work done, correct?

Dealer or private seller ? Take it to a dealer service department manager and have them run the VIN. Tell them you're thinking of buying it and are concerned if the recall work has been performed. They will surely help you in that area. But if they're nice and not to busy they will give you the complete service history of the vehicle. But sometime they're a little tight about that information act thing and will only give you the recall info. I have three recalls called out on my list. I believe that they must fix them if they're not already done. You stated earlier that the car was well maintained. I'd be willing to bet that they were taken care of.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #17
lee52482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post

Dealer or private seller ? Take it to a dealer service department manager and have them run the VIN. Tell them you're thinking of buying it and are concerned if the recall work has been performed. They will surely help you in that area. But if they're nice and not to busy they will give you the complete service history of the vehicle. But sometime they're a little tight about that information act thing and will only give you the recall info. I have three recalls called out on my list. I believe that they must fix them if they're not already done. You stated earlier that the car was well maintained. I'd be willing to bet that they were taken care of.
It's a Honda car dealership. Thanks for the info. After searching through about 25 vehicles, their carfax reports would show an open recall if the work was not done. This one did not show any, so I think your right in saying the work was done.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #18
Bob the Noob

Where in Michigan? I'm north east of Detroit, i might be able to check it out.

Go: Roto Fab CAI, Livernois Tune, Kook's Mid Length 1 7/8", Corsa Mid-section, Solo Axle Backs, Chrome TVS2300, 8PSI Pulley, 60# injectors, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, and other related goodies, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, BMR Drive Shaft Loop, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires

Stop: CTS-V 4 piston, Camaro rotors, Hawks HPS Pads

Show: GXP diffuser, Breyton GTF2 wheels

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Bob the Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
lee52482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Noob View Post
Where in Michigan? I'm north east of Detroit, i might be able to check it out.
Port Huron
Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #20
RSK-TKR G8

I bought my G8 Gt about a little over a year now and im loving the car even more since the first time i saw it on carmax web site, test drove a g8 not mine cause i want it a metallic grey with sunroof and sport pack but never the less a great car. I paid 24k cause they had to bring the car from another state, at the time it came with 34k miles im 2nd owner .
RSK-TKR G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement