Too much power?? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > Lounge

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
BradSlvGT

Cool Too much power??

So maybe it's because I have only had 360HP for less than a year...maybe it's because I'm immature in my driving habits...But the other day I pulled out of my apartment onto the 4 lane road and completely lost it...spinning 180 degrees and ending up in the turn lane facing the opposite direction.

So I have the A6 with a TCM tune. It loves to spin the tires when shifting from first to second under heavy acceleration. Normally, when I switch gears during a turn, the spin is just enough to throw my back end out about 4 inches then it regains grip, and I'm headed in the right direction. I often do it for fun. Well this time, before I pulled out I turned off traction control to do a burn out...well when I pulled out onto the road (traction control still OFF) I went to shift to second before straightening up in the lane, and the tires never regained traction from the shift. Before I could react I was spinning all the way around. Slammed on the brakes and held on until I came to a stop perfectly inside the turn lane. Luckily I didn't go into oncoming traffic because I knew there was a car coming my direction.

After realizing I was ok, and overcoming the initial embarrassment of looking like an idiot in front of everyone, I thought to myself "that was awesome!!"

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Or do I just need to grow up and drive my car like a 4 cylinder family sedan?

Sold - 2009 G8 GT

BradSlvGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

sounds like you need to sign up for a track day (drag or road course) and get some of this tire melting hell raising out of your system before you trash your car on the street. My recommendation would be to sign up for an HPDE (High performance driving experience) day. You will be assigned an instructor and you will learn quickly what your cars is capable of when controlled properly. This will then translate to the street and you will be more prepared for those "unexpected" spin outs. This is the only way I can cope. If i go too long without a trackday (car or bike, drag strip or road course) I find myself doing some stupid **** on the streets. just my two cents. Have fun.

for me 1-2 trackdays = ~1 month street driving without to much craziness
Troy Trackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Jeff92se

Did you FLOOR it? Because with Conti tires that fit the 10" wide wheels has to be in the 275-295 range.

It's hard to spin my tires from a stop and going straight but I rarely just floor it from idle. but going around a turn will help loosen traction.

BTW. I run intake, 275 G-Max all seasons. Flashpaq tune with the TCM tuned to 25%
Jeff92se is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
gr8lover

Never enough power for the street!!! and surely never enough for the track I have seen alot of people with power do some stupid (or cool) things over the years!! You never know when it will turn on you...

I have also seen lots of guys with lots of power angry at the little old lady or grandpas that happens to pull in front of them or hit them due to not being able to judge the rate of acceleration... one sec your not there and the next your past. I think most people have no way to judge or comprehend how fast we and others can get from pt a to b and misjudge and accidents happen. Just be careful because no matter how stupid someone it still sucks to be in a accident.

With power comes responsibility...
gr8lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
BradSlvGT

I run 285s on the rear. and yes I had it floored. But like i said, I do this all the time...just with traction control on. Brain fart I guess..didn't realize the gear change had enough oomph to completely spin out. It even "barks" on the gear change in a straight line...love it!

A track day would be awesome. I haven't done enough research to check into nearby events, but I'm assuming the closest one is at least a few hours away -- my weekends are usually too full to schedule anything like this. But either way I need track days for both my car and bike. I drive both too fast for the streets.

Sold - 2009 G8 GT

Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
karlhungus

I agree with the other comments here. I would also like to suggest NOT shifting mid corner. You need both hands to correct any funny business.
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s
karlhungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Terp4life

Was it colder than usual? Cold roads and cold summer tires don't mix too well.
Terp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
BradSlvGT

Yes, I've found that out from riding bikes. Cold roads and tires are bad for aggressive riding. The temperature in East Texas fell from 70 a few days ago to 30 today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
Never enough power for the street!!! and surely never enough for the track
So True!!

Quote:
Also true, but I learn everything the hard way.

Sold - 2009 G8 GT

Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
TCorzett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSlvGT View Post
I turned off traction control
Quote:
went to shift to second before straightening up
Quote:
and yes I had it floored
Well there's your problem!

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better

-Todd...
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
BradSlvGT

Thanks Todd. You're absolutely right. And I'm probably going to ruin my transmission. But it's fun, and I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

For some reason, I thought I had done the exact same maneuver with traction control off with no consequences...guess not.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

Quote:
And I'm probably going to ruin my transmission. But it's fun, and I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
tranny is stout, so no worries there
Troy Trackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
karlhungus

Remind me if I ever upgrade to a GT, not to buy your car, lol.
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s
karlhungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Bob the Noob

Reminds me of my youth. I had a early 90s Camaro RS and went to turn left across a few lanes of traffic and a turn lane. Seeing an opening I punched it but shortly after starting the arc to get into the other lanes the back tires started slipping. Thankfully my years of driving in Michigan snow had taught me how to counter steer so I was able to recover.

After I was moving along on the road and safe, I realized what happened. Around the time I was crossing lane 1 to lane 2 the tires started slipping (water, crappy tires, who knows), which caused me to drift/slide into the far right lane of the traffic headed the way I wanted to go.

Might have looked cool like in the movies but I almost crapped my pants.

Go: Roto Fab CAI, Livernois Tune, Kook's Mid Length 1 7/8", Corsa Mid-section, Solo Axle Backs, Chrome TVS2300, 8PSI Pulley, 60# injectors, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, and other related goodies, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, BMR Drive Shaft Loop, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires

Stop: CTS-V 4 piston, Camaro rotors, Hawks HPS Pads

Show: GXP diffuser, Breyton GTF2 wheels

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Bob the Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Earl Flynn

I have a GXP The ONLY time I have ever turned off TC is on a straight line sprint. Glad you are still alive
Earl Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
jackalope

L0L! And you can't figure out why you ended up going the wrong way?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
shane

Jeeeeez

227/243 .613/.623 114,Ported L92 heads, Procharger D1SC, 3 Row intercooler, Race bypass valve, ID850's,
Alky control meth kit,ZL1 pump,KB BAP, Pacesetter LT's, Full 3" exhaust w/magnaflow race mufflers,Yank3200
Spohn Trailing arms,UMI Adjustable toe links
10.55@134.3 1.60 - SOLD!
2008 C6 A6-Cammed/Stall 10.62@126.7 1.44' SOLD
2010 Denali Sierra AWD 6.2-Bolt ons,Leveled,24's
1980 Malibu-Project
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
camopaint0707

Leave the traction control on and you'll be fine.
camopaint0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
BradSlvGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
L0L! And you can't figure out why you ended up going the wrong way?

Ok, to be clear...I have purposefully lost traction in a turn and countersteered out of it (drifting, I guess). But this was different. As soon as I shifted it slung around so quickly I couldn't do anything about it...plus as stated earlier, I had one hand on the shifter anyways.

Oh well. I learn from my mistakes and post about it so others can too, but it sounds like I'm the only idiot out there. Definitely learned from several bike mistakes (aka low-sides). Fortunately, so far I've walked away from all my mistakes.

Not sure I can leave the traction control on 100% of the time...my inner child won't let me.

Sold - 2009 G8 GT

Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
Terp4life

I partially agree with you. After starting the car and before I put on my belt, first thing I do is turn off tc. Unless its under 40. Then I wait for the tires to warm up and turn it off.
Terp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Troutman

There are some situations in which ESP can prevent an accident which no amount of driving skill could avoid. ESP is able to individually brake wheels, for example, which a driver cannot. Hence it is advisable to leave it on by default in case such a scenario should arise.
Advertisement