information on good exhaust and headers - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > G8 GT Talk (V8)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
rasmosez4

Default information on good exhaust and headers

hi everyone i m new 2 this forum. i own a 08 g8 gt and i m looking to change my exhaust along with me headers. i was hoping you guys could stare me in the right direction. im looking for a deep aggressive sound but not to loud. any suggestions???/
rasmosez4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
dmarple80

click on search button and type in headders, exhaust, kooks, longtubes, etc

Pat G tune, LS7 MAF, RCR P/P/Milled LS3 Heads & valve job, ported AirRam Intake / TB & Little Lunati cam, Solo cb, Spectre CAI, Powerbond UDP

Roof & spoiler balck vinyl, 2014 20" Camaros

BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR F&R Swaybars, Teins & FE3's
dmarple80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

HERE YOU GO!
Troy Trackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Bob the Noob

"mids" or "mid length" headers are often called that because they bolt right up to stock exhaust, which in turn allows you to easily bolt up a cat-back exhaust system.

"LTs" or "long tubes" will offer a little more power (10-15hp) but you have to modify the existing exhaust as they go farther back than the Mids do.

Some mids, like Kooks, can be purchased with cats and are around the same cost as LTs.

Go: Roto Fab CAI, Livernois Tune, Kook's Mid Length 1 7/8", Corsa Mid-section, Solo Axle Backs, Chrome TVS2300, 8PSI Pulley, 60# injectors, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, and other related goodies, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, BMR Drive Shaft Loop, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires

Stop: CTS-V 4 piston, Camaro rotors, Hawks HPS Pads

Show: GXP diffuser, Breyton GTF2 wheels

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Bob the Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
slo gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Noob View Post
"LTs" or "long tubes" will offer a little more power (10-15hp) but you have to modify the existing exhaust as they go farther back than the Mids do..
Unless you get doug thorleys, those bolt right up but don't have cats

-VCM intake, DT headers, Solo Axleback, Pat G tune, 12.9@109 and 365rwhp/370rwtq
-Avant Garde M310 20x8.5 and 20x10 milled to +40, 245/35/20 and 275/30/20, H&R springs, Koni inserts and shocks, Neondial corners, Painted gloss black roof, Painted Matte black bumper and grill inserts
slo gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
rasmosez4

thanks for the help everyone. im purchasing the magnaflow catback 3" exhaust street series along with borla catback exhaust with x-pipe. what you guys think?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
gr8lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmosez4 View Post
thanks for the help everyone. im purchasing the magnaflow catback 3" exhaust street series along with borla catback exhaust with x-pipe. what you guys think?
did you mean "or"..... probably... but just in case..... catback is from your catyltic converter all the way to your muffler tips.... axle back is just the mufflers and tips and a small pipe and connection....

personally i dont like magnaflow or borla due to the terrible drone it has... some like it.. i dont... if your just starting out i would only consider corsa or solo... but good if you read all the different threads on it... this has been gone over 1 billiion and one times and there is tons of info on other threads... and every gives their opinion there... good luck
gr8lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
dmarple80

Go SOLO CB or SOLO axleback w/ a midpipe.

Pat G tune, LS7 MAF, RCR P/P/Milled LS3 Heads & valve job, ported AirRam Intake / TB & Little Lunati cam, Solo cb, Spectre CAI, Powerbond UDP

Roof & spoiler balck vinyl, 2014 20" Camaros

BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR F&R Swaybars, Teins & FE3's
dmarple80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
rasmosez4

Lol I'm def just starting out and idk much about car parts and so forth but I meant to put a looks long tube header system 17/8 x3 and Borla catback with x pipe. I was thinking about managnaflow because its not to loud I'm not a fan of the crazy loud sound. But this is my final decision. I plan to change my intake next? Any suggestion
Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
TommySSSC

if your putting on headers and a full exhaust, your gaining great horsepower, but its going to be louder. But were talking a great deep v8 sound, not anything those small 4 cyclinders can make -those are the "loud" cars. the stock g8 gt has 2 mufflers and a resonator, its dead dead quiet. Any exhaust you put on you'll love. Plus its not like any music in the car instantly covers up any interior sound that gets created with a new full exhaust. My one highly highly recommendation though, it getting a tune to get rid of your DOD (displacement on demand). Once that kicks in with a full exhaust, it creates a really low deep vibration sound, which is kinda annoying. But any full header and cat back system you put on your going to love it. most of the time I drive is with my windows open and listening to the sound of the engine and exhaust cough.
2008 GSX-R 750
Full Jardine Exhaust, PCIII, K&N Race Filter
Best 1/4: 10.67

TommySSSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
GR814U

New member here. Instead of making another thread I would just ask here. I just bought the car. It have no badging. Has AEM CAI and magnaflow. It's either 16795(no resonator) or 16887(resonator). I haven't jacked it up yet. There is significant difference so you can tell it by looking at it. I wanted to go with 16857 that has 5.5" tips.

So now I'm in the market for headers that will bolt up to the cats.

I looked at pace setters, they are just open pipes at the end no bolt patterns.
cooks long tube has bolt housing.
DT have bolt patterns.

What else are my options?
GR814U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
rasmosez4

hahaha i see where your coming from. after i finish with my headers and exhaust. im looking to install an intake do you have an good recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySSSC View Post
if your putting on headers and a full exhaust, your gaining great horsepower, but its going to be louder. But were talking a great deep v8 sound, not anything those small 4 cyclinders can make -those are the "loud" cars. the stock g8 gt has 2 mufflers and a resonator, its dead dead quiet. Any exhaust you put on you'll love. Plus its not like any music in the car instantly covers up any interior sound that gets created with a new full exhaust. My one highly highly recommendation though, it getting a tune to get rid of your DOD (displacement on demand). Once that kicks in with a full exhaust, it creates a really low deep vibration sound, which is kinda annoying. But any full header and cat back system you put on your going to love it. most of the time I drive is with my windows open and listening to the sound of the engine and exhaust cough.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
Bob the Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR814U View Post
I wanted to go with 16857 that has 5.5" tips.
As in exhaust tips? I dunno, I had the Kook's axle backs for a while and it looked kinda odd with their big tips. SLP loudmouths or... I forget the other brand that had the rectangle tips, they don't look that bad.

Go: Roto Fab CAI, Livernois Tune, Kook's Mid Length 1 7/8", Corsa Mid-section, Solo Axle Backs, Chrome TVS2300, 8PSI Pulley, 60# injectors, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, and other related goodies, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, BMR Drive Shaft Loop, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires

Stop: CTS-V 4 piston, Camaro rotors, Hawks HPS Pads

Show: GXP diffuser, Breyton GTF2 wheels

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Bob the Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
edfiero

I have Doug Thorleys and stock exhaust. Very Quiet. Can't tell I have headers. Fit perfect, and bolt right up to the stock system. Highly recommend them.
edfiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Bill in pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmosez4 View Post
hi everyone i m new 2 this forum. i own a 08 g8 gt and i m looking to change my exhaust along with me headers. i was hoping you guys could stare me in the right direction. im looking for a deep aggressive sound but not to loud. any suggestions???/
Most of us have installed kooks headers. They fit and perform well. As far as cat back your on your own. It's like blonds or brunettes.
2009 LR G8 GXP M6 #537 Born on 11/17/2008
2300 Magnuson 3.0 pulley,#60 injectors, KB BAP, 1 7/8 Kooks Mids with high flow cats, into X-Pipe into stock GXP axle back, (mid muffler/Resonator delete), Roto-Fab CAI, McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, GForce axles, Hurst short throw shifter, BMR rear trailer arms. 555 RWHP 505 RWTQ.
Bill in pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
GR814U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Noob View Post
As in exhaust tips? I dunno, I had the Kook's axle backs for a while and it looked kinda odd with their big tips. SLP loudmouths or... I forget the other brand that had the rectangle tips, they don't look that bad.
Yes, it's 5.5" round tips. looks good on the pic unless they look ugly in person.
GR814U is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement