G8 issues on really cold days? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > Lounge

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Bob the Noob

Default G8 issues on really cold days?

So the last few days in Michigan have been pretty darned cold. This morning for example was in the low single digits Fahrenheit. With this cold I've noticed Christine doesn't like the cold much.

The other day when leaving work, she stuttered a bit when I gave her some gas. Almost felt like she was going to stall. This morning I hit the remote start, heard the rumble of her running and took a few minutes to get my lunch together. When I opened the door I noticed she wasn't running. I tried to remote start her again but the lights just flashed. Fine, just how remote start is sometimes even though I only started her once and not twice.

Got in, started her up... "crap, I forgot something." so I shut her off and go back in the house. As I'm leaving the house and locking it again I do the remote start so I can hear the exhaust. She starts, runs for second or two, then shuts off.

When I got to work after driving 15-20 minutes on the freeway and she was all warmed up, remote start worked fine and she stayed running though. This makes me think it's an issue with it being so damned cold out the remote start is affected.

Mods are in my sig, if there's anything in there that might be the culprit.

Go: Roto Fab CAI, Livernois Tune, Kook's Mid Length 1 7/8", Corsa Mid-section, Solo Axle Backs, Chrome TVS2300, 8PSI Pulley, 60# injectors, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, and other related goodies, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, BMR Drive Shaft Loop, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires

Stop: CTS-V 4 piston, Camaro rotors, Hawks HPS Pads

Show: GXP diffuser, Breyton GTF2 wheels

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Bob the Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
MLawler34

I didn't have any issues with my remote start yesterday here in Michigan. But I know I was feathery light on the gas until she warms up. but this was mid day when it wasn't closer to zero outside. Sounds like it could be the weather.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
dmarple80

We've had some cold temps here in Chicago past couple of days. My remote start has worked fine so far but I did have some crazy lifter tick yesterday morning. But after getting to work (15 min of slow/easy town driving) it was gone. Car sat outside at work all day, started it when I left and no tick. Started car this morning after sitting all night and no tick. Hopefully I got the bad tick b/c the car had been sitting in the garage from Saturday night till Tuesday morning.
Luckily my commute in the morning is pretty laid back and slow so I just put around on my way and let the oil warm up, never really get on it.
But I can tell it isn't running at optimun performance, just to damn cold out.

Pat G tune, LS7 MAF, RCR P/P/Milled LS3 Heads & valve job, ported AirRam Intake / TB & Little Lunati cam, Solo cb, Spectre CAI, Powerbond UDP

Roof & spoiler balck vinyl, 2014 20" Camaros

BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR F&R Swaybars, Teins & FE3's
dmarple80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

FYI, my car failed to remotely start a few times when my car battery was going bad.

I replaced the battery and have had no remote start issues since.

Are you still on the OEM battery?

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

SRG963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
jackalope

Its the chromed TVS, you should remove it right away and send it to me that way you won't have the problem anymore.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Bob the Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
FYI, my car failed to remotely start a few times when my car battery was going bad.

I replaced the battery and have had no remote start issues since.

Are you still on the OEM battery?
Possibly, I haven't looked at it. You have a point though as with it being so dang cold it's starting a little slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Its the chromed TVS, you should remove it right away and send it to me that way you won't have the problem anymore.
Actually that had crossed my mind. The possibility it may be related to that, not sending it to you . With it being so cold the gear oil might be tougher to move which would seem like extra belt resistance so the car might think something's wrong/blocked and shut off.

Go: Roto Fab CAI, Livernois Tune, Kook's Mid Length 1 7/8", Corsa Mid-section, Solo Axle Backs, Chrome TVS2300, 8PSI Pulley, 60# injectors, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, and other related goodies, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, BMR Drive Shaft Loop, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Noob View Post
Actually that had crossed my mind. The possibility it may be related to that, not sending it to you . With it being so cold the gear oil might be tougher to move which would seem like extra belt resistance so the car might think something's wrong/blocked and shut off.

Try contacting the manufacturer and see if they agree, if the oil is too thick for those cold temps you may need to switch to a different grade oil. I'd be worried about damaging the blower if the oil won't circulate properly.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

Product Freezing/Gel Point
Classic Coke, O'Doul's & Metal Working Oil +30
Motor Oil (15W) +15
Motor Oil (30W) 0
Hydraulic Oil, Gear Lube & Gear Oil -10
Motor Oil (10W30) -20
2-Cycle Oil -25
Motor Oil (5W30) -30
Mobil 1 Engine Oil (15W50) -35
Antifreeze -40
Mobile 1 Engine Oil (15W30) -55

Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Earl Flynn

I've had some remote start issues prior to the last couple of days and it did the same thing, the lights just flashed. I'm not driving the GXP but I would start it after a few days of it sitting in the car port and would get that. I don't have any issues on a manual start up nor do I have any issues after starting it up.

I did buy a 990 CCA Die Hard battery in October however.

I'm out in Southfield.
Earl Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Bob the Noob

Okay, I guess I'll check what battery I have later today and see if the problems go away over the weekend when it warms up a bit.

Thanks guys!

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
GTX

Default G8 issues on really cold days?

Mine has done the same thing several times but the last time I did notice I was low on gas.
The good news is mine is so loud (especially in the garage) that there is no question when mine shuts off, even from inside the house.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
09 White Hot GT, Sport/Prem Sunroof. Vararam HSRK coated ARH 1 7/8 LT HFCs, Reckart 90mm housing, LS3 maf, Solo AB, Patrick Guerra Dyno Tune, BMR F/R sway bars, Spoon end links, Sirius Radio. Tinted, VG Shark fin, 4180lbs w/me and full tank of gas.

Current setup 391HP and 395LBS
GTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Back in a Pontiac

my remote start would do that the entire 3 years I had the car. Every now and then it would fire up and shut off. No reason for it not even when it was really cold, even did it a few times in the summer. Not related to the battery or the cold weather because it would happen in all weather conditions and I would drive the car that day so I know its not from sitting.

If anything when the car would sit out in the cold a few days not being driven under a foot of snow and I hit the remote start it always started those times.
Back in a Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Bob the Noob

Nope, had almost 3/4 tank this morning...

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
bostonf4$

probably battery.

My car has no problem in the cold...but YOU HAVE TO LET IT WARM UP. In these temps I wouldn't even THINK of driving it until its done at least 1 cycle of remote start (lasts 10 mins then shuts off) - even then I'm very easy on it for the first few miles at least because even when you remote start all the other moving parts aside from the engine (brake lines/hydraulics/TRANNY) don't really get much warmth from just letting the engine heat up.
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Back in a Pontiac

telling you I dont think its the battery, its a G8 Gremlin that does it
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...778&highlight=
Back in a Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
drewdog

if battery is getting bad, would the atari gauge reflect that ? because my remote start is having issues too - perfect timing, it was 14 this morning !
Tints, Sharkfin antenna, passenger seat mod
drewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

FWIW, I used a CTEK 3300 at night on my OEM battery to help extend her life....also has a eyelet indicator sensor / plug attached to the battery with red, yellow, and green lights showing the status of the battery....it seemed to work for around a year. Slow starts are the key simptom IMO. I saw no signs other than the remote start not wanting to start the car after a few turns.

Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
ExpLiciTSainT
Cars are my hobby...

Do you have any gauges? Can you see your trims when you're starting?

2008 G8 GT - Procharger 14PSI D1SC, Squash Double Pumper & Fuel Rails, ID725, ZR1 Map, Port & Polished w/ 4 angle heads, Forge 9.5:1, Pacesetters 1 3/4" LTH (CAT-less), Flowmaster Super 44s, X-pipe, Brembos, 3200 FTI Triple Stall, EBC rotors & yellow pads, Motegii MR120 20x9 +38 275/30s wheels, Pedders Coilovers/Swaybars, BMR Strut bar, Pat G cam/tune!

Old: 353.8
New: 632/530 Mustang Dyno
ExpLiciTSainT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Our cars hate the cold, IMO. And by cold, I mean 15 degrees or less outside and sitting in it for 5+ hours. When my car is out in weather like that, I get a different exhaust note, different engine noise, etc.

It's been like that all 5 winters I've owned like car so I'm not concerned at this point.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT
RotoFab CAI, Pace Setter long tube headers,
X-Pipe, Hooker Maxflow Axlebacks waiting to be installed, Cincy Speed dyno tune.

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

30% Tint, V8 6.0 Litre badges, Pontiac lettering debadge on the trunk
foreosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement