GT ECM locked by previous owner - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > PCM Tuning / Dyno Results

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
EMS Guy

Default GT ECM locked by previous owner

I purchased my G8 GT from a local dealership about 6 months ago. The car had a Volant CAI and Solo Performance HFCs and Exhaust. I had my suspicions that the car was previously tuned, and if not, I wanted to retune it myself. I ordered EFI Live and connected for the first time. Sure enough, the ECU was locked. Any idea of what I can do to unlock it?

The owner was local (from Nia Falls IIRC), but never met him/her.
Volant intake, Solo Performance HFCs & exhaust, StopTech rotors, Hawk brake pads, Enkei Kojin w/ Michelin Super Sports, EFI Live custom tune, ATI harmonic balancer, functional hood vents, iPod and Bluetooth integrated.
EMS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/

www.PCMforless.com

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

SRG963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
jerminator
Proud owner

See if the dealership can put a factory tune back in it. Tell them you thought it would be factory when you bought it.

Gone- 2009 MGM GT
jerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
zepcom
Administrator

If you take it to a GM dealership (Cappelinos is good, Mike Smith is good, etc) they could try to flash it back to stock, but no guarentees. I have heard some of them "fail" meaning that you need to procure a new ECM and do the case relearn. That gets expensive fast. Or do what SRG963 said and call them and see what their expertise is to swap out your bunk ecm with one of theirs or something.

But that doesn't address the TCM tune which would be on there forever. Is it aggressive or sloppy or "just right"? If just right, might be okay to leave it, but if it's not to your liking, then that one's difficult at best since the TCM is inside the transmission and can't be swapped out like the ECM can.

Good luck man. Try one of the local dealerships on transit, might be into them for an hour or two labor, but try to work into the deal that if the flash doesn't work, it's cheaper or free or something (you get what you pay for kinda mentality) .... hopefully.

good luck man

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced catback with take-off SLP tips.
SOLO J-pipes developed and perfected with my test mule!
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
BigV8

One other member ran into the same thing and was able to locate the previious owner. Maybe you might have luck with that first.
09 GXP SRM A6 w/sunroof. Mods:Livernois Maggie 2.3, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids, BMR,Pedders supercar coilovers, all Brembos, CTS-V rims, Hids, halos, leather console lid. HSV gauges. 502rwhp,479tq#873 of 1829 and 1 of 169 in SRM.
BigV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Jeff92se

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV8 View Post
One other member ran into the same thing and was able to locate the previious owner. Maybe you might have luck with that first.
I know dealers don't usually do that but I hope in these case they would. Dig around the glove box for old registration information, service card information etc...
Jeff92se is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
SRG963
Its Good To Be Tha King

You should be able to get the service history of the vehicle from GM customer service....maybe there are clues that would help find the previous owner. If the car has mods, they were probably a member on this forum or GR8's forum.

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

SRG963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
GOPHERIT

I suppose that the service manual could be wrong (again), but it says that the TCM (if access to it becomes necessary), is located behind the right side kick panel (vs, in the transmission).
GOPHERIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
BigV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
I suppose that the service manual could be wrong (again), but it says that the TCM (if access to it becomes necessary), is located behind the right side kick panel (vs, in the transmission).
Yeah its wrong, its under the relay box in the right front of the engine bay. Oops I was thinking ecm, TCM is in tranny.
09 GXP SRM A6 w/sunroof. Mods:Livernois Maggie 2.3, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids, BMR,Pedders supercar coilovers, all Brembos, CTS-V rims, Hids, halos, leather console lid. HSV gauges. 502rwhp,479tq#873 of 1829 and 1 of 169 in SRM.
BigV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
bluegoat06
HPT Pro Tuner

+ 100 in everything said already.
More food for thoughts

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...ght=locked+pcm

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...ght=locked+pcm

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...eplace+ecm+tcm

2009 G8GT , Gone But Not Forgotten
Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | Rotofab CAI | LS7 MAF |102 mm MAF Housing |Blox VS |1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Yank SS 3200 stall | Deep Sump 6L80e Pan Kit | B&M 70273 Trans Cooler |HPTuners Pro v2.24 | Street Tuned | 7.80@91.05mph 1.79 60'

bluegoat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Back in a Pontiac

you said local to Niagara Falls? maybe this is the guy?

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=544

call VMS with the VIN and see what they say
Back in a Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Crazy_8

Chris White can unlock it. You could google him, but he only works weekends.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
pony killer

I would think the dealer you got it from should work with you . They didn't disclose that there was a tune on it . Good luck with the issue .
Also I don't know how it works but if his user name is still active. I wonder if you send the person from the last link a pm,if he would receive an e mail. Just a thought[

QUOTE][ you said local to Niagara Falls? maybe this is the guy?

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=544 /QUOTE]
pony killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
zepcom
Administrator

gtpprix has PM's turned off administratively. visit his website whiteautoandmedia.com and inquire within via the contact-us link.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony killer View Post
I would think the dealer you got it from should work with you . They didn't disclose that there was a tune on it . Good luck with the issue .
Also I don't know how it works but if his user name is still active. I wonder if you send the person from the last link a pm,if he would receive an e mail. Just a thought[

QUOTE][ you said local to Niagara Falls? maybe this is the guy?

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=544 /QUOTE]
Link not found. Try again?
Volant intake, Solo Performance HFCs & exhaust, StopTech rotors, Hawk brake pads, Enkei Kojin w/ Michelin Super Sports, EFI Live custom tune, ATI harmonic balancer, functional hood vents, iPod and Bluetooth integrated.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
gtpprix has PM's turned off administratively. visit his website whiteautoandmedia.com and inquire within via the contact-us link.
Good to know.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92se View Post
I know dealers don't usually do that but I hope in these case they would. Dig around the glove box for old registration information, service card information etc...
Glove was CLEAN! Not even an owner's manual for the damned car.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
Back in a Pontiac

if you click the first link not the quoted ones it works, but here is the thread the guy is from Niagara Falls and his car fits the description, his sig says VMS tuned- you dont have to get in contact with this guy just yet just call VMS and ask if they tuned the car. He hasnt logged on since July 2012 so maybe try sending a email as well.

this is his sig: '09 PBM G8 GT: volant CAI, solo mach exhaust with high-flow cats, VMS Stg1 ECM/TCM tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337m4573rpyr0 View Post
I've only had the chance to drive about 10 miles to work so far so, I'll just give my initial impression: The actual volume seems to have changed very little (maybe 5% louder). The biggest thing I've noticed is that the tone seems to have become a little deeper and I notice the "thrum" of the engine in the exhaust note a bit more over the "rasp" being discussed. I'm going to cruise around for a bit after I get out of work tonight to get a better idea of the changes (power and sound wise) and I'll elaborate a bit more then.

UPDATE: After cruising around last night for a bit, I'll add a bit more to my earlier description: I would say on average, overall volume has increased by about 10% and the tone of the exhaust got just a bit deeper after adding the CAI. When standing behind the car as it idles, I noticed the rasp of the exhaust really hasn't changed - It's just a little less noticeable from the driver's seat due to the change in the exhaust note. The CAI did introduce a bit of drone in the 1200-1500 RPM range under light throttle but, I'm sure that can be eliminated if I adjust the J's a little.
Back in a Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
zepcom
Administrator

Nice! I've seen a recent rash of used VMS tuning cables come up for sale, sure there might be a fee to convert someone's to match your vin so you can program your car with it, and maybe with VMS's help they can send you the current (and stock!) files for both ECM and TCM for your car... then you can at least have control over the tune that is loaded on your car, and at most, you could tune it yourself back to stock and go back to the drawing board for what is right to suit YOUR needs.

Good luck OP, if you ever want a demo on how to flash or change tunes, we can meet up and I can show ya. Of course this assumes you already have done the steps above where you obtain a cable for your car and possibly pay VMS for the tune conversion or whatnot.

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
Nice! I've seen a recent rash of used VMS tuning cables come up for sale, sure there might be a fee to convert someone's to match your vin so you can program your car with it, and maybe with VMS's help they can send you the current (and stock!) files for both ECM and TCM for your car... then you can at least have control over the tune that is loaded on your car, and at most, you could tune it yourself back to stock and go back to the drawing board for what is right to suit YOUR needs.

Good luck OP, if you ever want a demo on how to flash or change tunes, we can meet up and I can show ya. Of course this assumes you already have done the steps above where you obtain a cable for your car and possibly pay VMS for the tune conversion or whatnot.

--zepcom
This has to be the previous owner.....It makes almost perfect sense. I have a lead! The hunt continues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement