To sell or not to sell? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > Lounge

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors
View Poll Results: To sell or not to sell?
Sell 4 10.00%
Keep 36 90.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
ShineG8GT

Question To sell or not to sell?

First off, I love my G8GT, best sports car/sedan I've ever owned. Living in the Midwest, it kind of sucks having to put it away every winter for 4-5 months. My wife and I have recently bought a house, so a lot of our budget is going towards updates to that...and not so much the G8 anymore. We are also planning on starting a family soon. Having two vehicles (G8 for summer, and beater for winter) is kind of an inconvenience. I've always told my wife I would never sell the G8, but I am having 2nd thoughts now, and wondering if I should get a more practical vehicle for year-round driving in WI. Thoughts?
X-Pipe, Muffler Delete, SOLO Performance Axle-backs.
BMR STB, BMR DTB, Whiteline SMB's.
VG Shark Fin, De-badged Trunk lid, Holden V8 fender badges.
35% tint, L76 oil cap, Zaino Show Car Polish Products.
Camaro SS MS 20's w/locking Gorilla lugs & Pontiac Center Caps.
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's (245/35/20 & 255/35/20).
ShineG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Silverado777

You are thinking sensible and practical but you will regret it. Not to mention you are talking to the wrong crowd lol. Most people on here will tell you to keep it. You could always move to a place you could drive it year round lol just a thought.

08 IOM G8 GT -VCM CAI, e85 Tune, 3.27 gears, SLP UDP, HSRK, 1 7/8 LT, 3" X Pipe, SOLO Axle Backs, 07 CTS-V Brembos F&R, BMR Sways, BMR Diff, Rear Cradle & Radius Rod Bushings - Dynod 335hp 352tq on base tune, PB 12.99 in the 1/4 (Sold)

2010 Black Raven CTS-V. M6, Airaid, QTP Cutouts,

09 Pearl Mirage White GSX-R 750, Micron Exhaust, K&N Intake, Power Commander 3, Geared
1/4 Mile - 10.3

Silverado777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
MotorCityG8

Buy winter tires and sell the beater.

problem solved

2008 G8 GT PBM / No Roof - SOLD

Go: Livernois Stage 1 Cam / Circle D 3000 Stall / Ported TB & Intake / Roto-Fab CAI / Pat G Tune / SLP Powerflow Axlebacks / OBX 1 7/8 LT w/3in midpipe / LS7 MAF

Show: Avant Garde M310 / Eibach & Fe3 set up / Plasti Dipped Wheel and Kidney grills / Debadged / Tint (20% windshield, 5% sides, 20% on top of 5% on the rear) / Bathurst Stripes.
MotorCityG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Zodiac
In the slow lane

Sell. Do what's practical to raise a family and budget for the house. Do it now while the resale is still up.

2014 Ram 1500 QC Express
2014 Mazda6 Touring
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
drewdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityG8 View Post
Buy winter tires and sell the beater.

problem solved
this x100
Tints, Sharkfin antenna, passenger seat mod
drewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Slizzo

I live in CT, and my G8 is my year round car. I get to have fun driving no matter the weather conditions.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
bostonf4$

The G8 is HARDLY a ride that deserves a winter beater. #1 it has 4 doors, and in my book ANY 4 door car aside from a porsche panamera turbo or BMW M5 (although not so much the M5) is meant first and foremost to be somewhat practical and used as a daily driver...particularly ones the size of a G8. #2 Its a $30,000 car...and its not a GXP...it won't be worth anything 10 years from now, trust me, see 1996 impala SS - still nothing special and w/ the upcoming 2014 SS this will ring even more true. #3 - you said it yourself - car is a blast to drive and being driven is what it is meant for - its not a vette, its not a shelby, its not a special edition Camaro - its a damn 4 door w/ a truck engine - DRIVE IT.

Buy snow tires and call it a day. You know the record breaking blizzard we just had in MA? 28" in my backyard? Yeah I was driving through it right up until a cop told me to go home when I was down the road picking up firewood - there was a driving ban throughout the state, I waved and gave an enthusiastic thumbs up to the morons who drove their "crossover" SUV into a ditch on my way home. (the dripping sarcasm actually concedes the fact that the G8 is PHENOMENAL in the snow when equipped w/ proper tires).

Don't sell it, sell the beater, take that cash and buy snows, take what is leftover (if there is any) and give to your wife or put it towards a pre-paid gas card for the G8. Problem solved.
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
jerminator
Proud owner

It's a 2008, will it be paid off within the next year or so? If so, just be patient and pay the thing off. Then, you've got a great, fun, practical car you love with no payments.

Gone- 2009 MGM GT
jerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
GMCustomerService

@ShineG8GT, I can see you’re at a cross roads in your life with a lot things happening to start many new chapters. We can provide you with our opinions, but all in all, you must do what’s best for you, your wife and future family. Congratulations on the new house and I wish you and your family the best!!!

Michelle, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Neverending

Definitely keep it, no reason to not drive it in the winter unless you have the cash for 2 cars. Only way for my GT to be garaged is when it's older and I can afford the Chevy SS or CTS-V as a daily.

The rest of my family drives FWD cars and around the Holidays when we go out and it's snowing, we drive my G8! It loves the snow even on DWS.
Borla Cat-back + Roto-Fab CAI + tune
310rwhp 314rwtq on Mustang dyno(stock tune)
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
jackalope

I know where you can get one of these, the guy may go for a straight up trade if you would like. If you want me to ask just let me know. Its FWD, plenty room for the family, 4 cyl, so it gets good gas mileage its perfect for you and you're soon to be family!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
knglibrty

Boston is so right , enjoy it, you will NOT find a better car. My Base was my DD and the GT i traded it for is my DD, I say if i'm paying i'm driving it.
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
knglibrty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Back in a Pontiac

lifes too short to drive dull boring cars

Forget the snow tires, keep the beater. Keep the G8 nice, it will be that much nicer to you when the weather breaks. No it will never be a duesenburg but its what makes you happy and Im all for parking the car while the roads are scummy.

Everyone wants to sell their sports car, convertible, and boat in the winter. Just stick it out. Later on in life when you do have a family you may not be able to buy another "fun car" This one even if you have a little one a little down there is ample space back there for a baby seat
Back in a Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Darkside
Hsv Gts Pimp

Stick it out, you'll be happy you did in another two months. I park three cars in the winter and its painful I know. There aren't many fun awd cars out there IMO. Although the 13' Sho's are attracting me.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
tchr49
every village has one

First of all, congrats on your house purchase and family plans.
Houses are a long term investment, upgrades don't have to happen all at once, and you'd be surprised how handy you can become.
Families need 4 doors, and what better way to go? I'd be for keeping the G8 and upgrade the beater when it becomes necessary, if it does(and of course it will). Weather cooperating, you might be able to use the car a bit more than you have previously.
I'm going to respectfully disagree, I think the G8 is worthy of a winter beater if the situation allows, but I also respect those who use them year round.
Keep it.

On a more serious note,
Where do I report that image of the minivan?

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
Surprise Package
tchr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
ShineG8GT

Thanks for the replies and encouragement guys! My G8 is paid for, so no worries there...I guess I have the winter blues with it being in storage. @Darkside has a good point...usually March/April, I am pretty gitty when I get the G8 out of storage! :-) It's like being a kid on Christmas day all over again! I like to have a beater for the winter to keep the G8 out of the salt basically, It has been salt free, so I'd like to keep the body in good shape, otherwise, I would probably drive it in winter.
I'm pretty certian I'll keep it, I guess I won't mod it much anymore and put my "mod money" towards the house and family...so the G8 will be as is for quite some time then :-( ... I had a lot of plans for it, but I guess life happend to me.
X-Pipe, Muffler Delete, SOLO Performance Axle-backs.
BMR STB, BMR DTB, Whiteline SMB's.
VG Shark Fin, De-badged Trunk lid, Holden V8 fender badges.
35% tint, L76 oil cap, Zaino Show Car Polish Products.
Camaro SS MS 20's w/locking Gorilla lugs & Pontiac Center Caps.
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's (245/35/20 & 255/35/20).
ShineG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
pony killer

Hell be happy this isn't a must situation. I'd do the winter tires if it came down to it . These cars are great in the snow with the right winter tires. I hear yuh on the salt situation, I gave my frame and undercarriage a quick undercoat. I gotta say that my pacifica which is an 05 at 140k is in good shape body wise . The frame is seeing rust but not as bad as other cars I've seen. I've never undercoated it either. Just good old wash and wax. Even my jam areas are way above average. I have a couple dime size spots that are starting to bubble in the jam area,that's it.
Well up to you but I'd keep the g8. Safe driving man .
pony killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
farsighted770

Surprise. Car forum thinks you should keep your car. WOAH. SHOCKER!

March G8 Of the Month! Thanks so much guys!
farsighted770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
Rillo71
There was one?

Sounds like you already made up your mind, but the polls don't lie.... a whopping 92% say keep it...... Looks like great minds think alike OP....and Bostonf4$ summarized it very well......
2009 G8 GXP, SRM, M6, Onyx, Roof. (#1818 of 1829) a.k.a Gianna
Show: Tint, VG Sharkfin, 3M clear bra, 6000k HIDs, 20" TSW Interlagos.
Go: BMR, GForce, MGW, Monster Clutch, 3" SOLO, Dynotech, Squash DW255s, Tein, NLP Twin Turbo!
Stock: 363 whp/367 tq SAE (Dyno Jet) 13.149 @ 108.21 mph
Mods (old): 399 /399 SAE (Dyno Jet) 12.711 @ 108.66 1.548 60' w/MT ET Streets
Mods (new): 602/614 SAE 10 psi, 6* (Dyno Jet) 11.33 @ 125.26
Rillo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
WiderIsBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineG8GT View Post
Thanks for the replies and encouragement guys! My G8 is paid for, so no worries there...I guess I have the winter blues with it being in storage. @Darkside has a good point...usually March/April, I am pretty gitty when I get the G8 out of storage! :-) It's like being a kid on Christmas day all over again! I like to have a beater for the winter to keep the G8 out of the salt basically, It has been salt free, so I'd like to keep the body in good shape, otherwise, I would probably drive it in winter.
I'm pretty certian I'll keep it, I guess I won't mod it much anymore and put my "mod money" towards the house and family...so the G8 will be as is for quite some time then :-( ... I had a lot of plans for it, but I guess life happend to me.
Hey I'm with you. It's hard to see it go into storage and have to drive the beater for 5 months out of the year. I often wonder why I got a car that I feel the need to stash away.
Advertisement