Chevrolet SS Sedan Revealed With 415-HP - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > News & Reviews > Front Page News

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
AutoGuide.com

Default Chevrolet SS Sedan Revealed With 415-HP

Quote:
Finally, the V8 powered sport-sedan from Chevrolet has been revealed, sporting both impressive performance credentials and luxury goods.

Standing alongside the new NASCAR Chevy SS, the road-going production version certainly looks brawny enough for the Chevy faithful, harking back to the Pontiac G8 and taking inspiration from the new Holden Commodore.

The SS will actually be made alongside the Holden Commodore in Australia and uses the 6.2-liter LS3 V8 engine, as opposed to the new LT1 motor found in the 2014 Corvette Stingray. Still, that V8 is plenty powerful, putting 415 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. Chevy estimates a sub five-second 0-60 sprint.

This should help the SS compete against other full-size rivals like the Chrysler 300C and Hyundai Genesis sedan, which are both available with V8 power and rear-wheel drive to provide sporty driving dynamics. However, those two cars also feature a full suite of luxury amenities and high-tech features.

The new SS doesn’t disappoint in that regard, with a spacious interior that provides as much interior legroom than the 300 and Genesis, give or take an inch.

Leather seating is standard and there are “SS” emblems stitched into the instrument panel. Cabin lighting lends icey-blue accents to the interior at night too.

In terms of tech, the SS has loads of standard equipment including a MyLink touch screen infotainment and navigation, a Bose nine-speaker sound system, a color heads-up display, push-button start, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, side blind zone alert, rear-vision camera and rear cross traffic alert. The SS is also the first Chevrolet vehicle to offer active park assist, which can help automatically park the porky sedan.

Still, the SS will appeal most to enthusiasts, and although the car is only available with a six-speed automatic transmission, (with paddle shifters) it still has some tire-shredding potential. A close to 50/50 weight distribution, and a low center of gravity was made possible thanks to an aluminum hood and rear deck lid, and are sure to help with handling.

The vehicle’s standard Brembo brakes have ventilated 355-millimeter rotors and two-piece four-piston front calipers, and are sure to bring the big sedan to a stop quickly.

Overall, the SS exudes a bad-ass attitude thanks to its staggered 19-inch wheels. Pricing hasn’t been announced and is sure to come closer to the car’s debut later this year.
See more Chevrolet SS photos at AutoGuide.com
AutoGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
TexasG8GXP

Looks dam good!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
johnnyservice

I was really hoping for something impressive; the tease has been long enough that we were right to expect the LT1 and M6, and some beautiful colours (colors for my American friends). Disappointing.

On the flip side, this makes me realize what a bold move it was for Pontiac to launch our cars when they did. In 2008, this was truly a revolutionary bold new vehicle introduction. We know, we've been driving and enjoying them for years.

GM just has a knack for sucking the life out of something like this. Why oh why did they pick this colour for all the press release shots? The Aussies had the sense to pick the copper/orange/black SSV for their launch. I'm not trying to offend those with silver cars, and I love the G8 in silver. But if you're building up hype like this, launch the car with a colour that is bold and makes a statement. For crapsakes, there's a pace car sitting RIGHT THERE in blue with white Daytona stripes, and it looks like it only made in into some shots by accident.

Anyway... bit of a rant, and in a way, this is a testament to how solid the platform is.

2009.1 GT
Liquid Red
Premium and Sport Pkgs. with sunroof
Mods:
LS3 cam DOD delete
Roto-Fab CAI
GXP Axle-backs, Bumper & Diffuser
SOLO Hi-Flow Cats and X-pipe mid-muffler delete
Hawk HPS/DBA T3 brakes
FE3 all around
Holden V-8 6.0 Litre badges and trunk badges
V6 Tails
VG Sharkfin Antenna
Factory bluetooth conversion
Bremmer Kraft BR05 rims 19x9 matte black w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35/19 all around
Custom Holden center caps

Pat G Tune 371 RWHP 360 RWTQ
johnnyservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Pakitullanc

Default Re: Chevrolet SS Sedan Revealed With 415-HP

I WANT ONE.........donations please.

Sent from my Inspire using Autoguide.com

09 GT LR.....(SOLD)
Pakitullanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
anthony73

Looks good ! I like it, I hope it sells well!
anthony73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
TexasG8GXP

I personally like the silver/grey color. Looks professional. Not a big fan of bright fruity colors.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
DavesWhiteHot

So it's got the 415 hp LS3 with an AUTOMATIC ONLY (really GM???) and will likely be priced to compete with the 470 hp srt8 cars. Yea, welcome back to 2009 with a rebadged Gxp with better interior but without a manual transmission option. Fail.

***SOLD :"( ***
'09 White Hot G8 GT, Pat G cam (.634"/.608", 223/230, 112 + 2), Pat G tune, HSRK, Rotofab CAI, Magnaflow Catback, DT Tri-Y LT's, Rick Crawford intake, throttle body, and ported/milled heads, stock gears & stock stall, H & R springs, Lovells poly strut mounts, VMR V710 wheels, 11.86 @ 120.32 mph (1.94 60')
DavesWhiteHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
mistarnova

if theyt bring it over in 2015 i bet they might throw in the lt1 and m6 as an option butthat will jack the price up more
mistarnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
TexasG8GXP

There's no way GM would allow a 4 door sedan to have the same power as their flagship car. The LS3 is a great engine. I'm a little bummed about not having a manual but I could live with it.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
srod54321

still on the fence... not the best reveal pictures.. SSV pics were MUCH better

Will have to see pricing, but so far i don't like that there's:

no manual
no LT1 (ok this was probably expected)
ugly wheels
brembos only in the front
those stupid notches in the front bumper for the assist sensors
limited color choices (red, black, silver, green, white)
single exhaust tips? (did SSV have dual?)

anyway- just my opinion, and maybe seeing it in person will sway me
Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
matthewo

i would say this is excellent news for g8 owners
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
DavesWhiteHot

The lack of a manual transmission is a complete deal breaker for me.

***SOLD :"( ***
'09 White Hot G8 GT, Pat G cam (.634"/.608", 223/230, 112 + 2), Pat G tune, HSRK, Rotofab CAI, Magnaflow Catback, DT Tri-Y LT's, Rick Crawford intake, throttle body, and ported/milled heads, stock gears & stock stall, H & R springs, Lovells poly strut mounts, VMR V710 wheels, 11.86 @ 120.32 mph (1.94 60')
DavesWhiteHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Blade Runner

Sorry guys but its not for me. The only thing I can come away and say I truly like is the seats. Other than that it looks like a car that can get lost in the sea of other cars in todays market.

This car had the potential to be SO much more.

Dyno Run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCFFxUVGQAY

GXP G8 Music Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo6I7yVh5ng

Pictures http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...607&t=HotRides
Blade Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
slappyGT

Hey, I have a car just like this! Except mine has 50 fewer HP and cost probably $12,000 less.
slappyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
cgge2006

Not bad but not great and life changing if you no what I mean. Looks nice enough but not really bad ass. Yahoo article states about 5k will be made a year to start for public sale with a hefty price tag. Should help with the used values of a g8. Maybe create some new interest. Used G8 for 23k or a new SS for 43k. lol. The tech stuff is a very nice addition to the SS line and will make it competitive with Chrysler and others who have had this stuff for several years now.
cgge2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
johnnyservice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasG8GXP View Post
I personally like the silver/grey color. Looks professional. Not a big fan of bright fruity colors.
Not so sure I would describe colours other than silver/grey as "fruity", but that's a matter of opinion I guess.

Just seems to me that some corporate suit decided they would debut it in a "safe" colour. "Safe" isn't for halo cars. Halo cars make a statement.

2009.1 GT
Liquid Red
Premium and Sport Pkgs. with sunroof
Mods:
LS3 cam DOD delete
Roto-Fab CAI
GXP Axle-backs, Bumper & Diffuser
SOLO Hi-Flow Cats and X-pipe mid-muffler delete
Hawk HPS/DBA T3 brakes
FE3 all around
Holden V-8 6.0 Litre badges and trunk badges
V6 Tails
VG Sharkfin Antenna
Factory bluetooth conversion
Bremmer Kraft BR05 rims 19x9 matte black w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35/19 all around
Custom Holden center caps

Pat G Tune 371 RWHP 360 RWTQ
johnnyservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
soup070

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyGT View Post
Hey, I have a car just like this! Except mine has 50 fewer HP and cost probably $12,000 less.
More like $20k less, they should of gone LT1 good luck trying to compete with the SRT crowd 50hp down. SRT Hemi will be the same hp difference as between GT & GXP in those cars are a ton of difference. Also should of up dated all corners to Camaro Brembos and try not using a 5+ year old Holden option wheel on a new model. The seats do look nice and maybe we can gain some parts such as the black window trim (no AU shipping cost) & the clock spring to gain full paddle shift function w/LED on wheel.
LLumar Ceramic Tint 40/30/15, 3400k HIDs, Pontiac cargo tray, 18" Drag-37 wheels,
BMR Sways, HSV Engine Cover & Clubsport Wheels, Yellow +09 CTSv Brembos
5 Year Plan: Kooks Mids, 3.27 Dif, Pat G Tune, HSV Front Guards & Flutes, E3 front bumper
soup070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
EvilleG8GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
Sorry guys but its not for me. The only thing I can come away and say I truly like is the seats. Other than that it looks like a car that can get lost in the sea of other cars in todays market.

This car had the potential to be SO much more.
I couldn't agree more.

2009 G8 GT MGM 24,000 miles, Sport and Premium
(Mk. II)
Cortex, Solo Axlebacks, Spectre CAI, 20% Tint, 5000k HIDs

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442
EvilleG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
drewdog

so basically it's the GXP, with no manual option - but prolly for 40k and change.

#letdown
Tints, Sharkfin antenna, passenger seat mod
drewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
g8sponge

No manual. Come on really. Well looks like most of us feel the same. Not buying this now. Any one have a low mileage unabused GXP M6 they want to trade? My GT is perfect.
Advertisement