10' Cts-V 18 42.86%
08-09' M3 4 9.52%
10-11' S4 11 26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Darkside
Hsv Gts Pimp

Default Help me pick my next daily driver

Realize that I live in a snowy climate that gets occasionally dumped on with snow. Got 9" last night when we were only supposed to get 2". There are probably 10 days a year that the roads are truly bad. I have a few hills to navigate on my daily drive.

Plan on selling the Viper and Cruze to get a nice daily driver. Thinking about upgrading my Saleen vert for a Grand Sport vette.

13' Sho: really like the updated look this year. Little plastidip, wheels, lowering springs, and performance upgrades. I would have a low to mid 12 second AWD car for around 40k. Longer warranty and good for winter.

10' Cts-V: always wanted a V but could never justify having one along with the G8. Obviously its a great looking car that will deep in the 11's with relative ease. Something about driving one in winter really bothers me. Out of all 4 cars this is the only one I would hate to subject to salt.

08-09' M3: I have always loved the M cars and the sedans are pretty rare. Sitting so damn low I wonder how they would handle winter driving even with dedicated snow tires. It would cost a bit more to add on a warranty since repairs are so damn expensive.

10-11' S4: I really love the look of the Titanium package 4's. Of course this is driving the price up to the mid to higher 40's. It has the looks, decent performance, and good winter manners. But I'm not sure I can justify the higher price tag when I like the others a bit more.

So what are your thoughts? I've never had such a tough time figuring out what I wanted next.

Big thanks to Crazy Paul for all his help.

13 Taurus Sho- 12 seconds with all the gadgets
03 Saleen Mustang Vert'
06 Jeep Srt-8
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
MotorCityG8

If it was me then I would personally love to have the CTS-V. It would be a bummer to drive in the snow but I'm sure with some winter tires it would take the roads just fine.

On a second note a SHO would be the perfect all year round car with the AWD but I personally don't think it's worth the price tag and as I am 6'2 I feel cramped in the car and that shouldn't happen in a full size sedan.

For the money I think the V is the way to go.

2008 G8 GT PBM / No Roof - SOLD

Go: Livernois Stage 1 Cam / Circle D 3000 Stall / Ported TB & Intake / Roto-Fab CAI / Pat G Tune / SLP Powerflow Axlebacks / OBX 1 7/8 LT w/3in midpipe / LS7 MAF

Show: Avant Garde M310 / Eibach & Fe3 set up / Plasti Dipped Wheel and Kidney grills / Debadged / Tint (20% windshield, 5% sides, 20% on top of 5% on the rear) / Bathurst Stripes.
MotorCityG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
pic18
Enthusiast

The SHO's might be had for a good price. There was a new 2012 selling for $35k at a Ford Dealer here.
2009 G8GT Corsa exhaust, VMR710 wheels, Window Tint, Red/Black steering wheel and shifter, Sliding Center Console Pad, Holden radiator cover, CAA Floor Mats, Pontiac Trunk Liner, center console light, glove box light, Video in Motion from JHP, SLP Spoiler, Holden Black window trims, painted door handles, painted engine cover, GXP Front end, CF shorty antenna

2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn
pic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
farsighted770

Choose the sho because the all weather usage and I've ridden in a few they are nice and take to basic mods well

March G8 Of the Month! Thanks so much guys!
farsighted770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
TyG8GXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Got 9" last night when we were only supposed to get 2".
TTTHHHHHAATTT'SSSSS WHHHHAATTT SSHHHHEEE SAAAIIIDDD!!!

But srsly...

Based on what you said, I'd say SHO.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
PSMG8GT

Sho...... awd
GXP DIFFUSER
FULLY DEBADGED
TSW NURBURGRING 20X8.5/9.5 WITH NITTO INVO 255/35 285/30
PSMG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Darkside
Hsv Gts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyG8GXP View Post
TTTHHHHHAATTT'SSSSS WHHHHAATTT SSHHHHEEE SAAAIIIDDD!!!
LOL..... Finding alot of 13' Sho's with 45-46k msrp's asking 37-38k.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
colby1035

If the SHO's are going that cheap, jump on them!

If you have another car to drive on the bad weather days (your Jeep), I say get the V.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
V8 G8

If you are getting this just for the bad winter driving then you gotta go with AWD. It makes the most since IMO. Go with a SHO, the newer ones are looking pretty sick.

Show: GXP Diffuser| GXP Front Bumper| DDM 5K HID's| 5% Tint All Around| 35% Tint on Windshield| AAC Halo's| License Plate LED's| Polk DB6501's| Red Calipers| TSW Nurburgring Matte Black 19x8| LED Reverse Lights|

Go: Solo-Axleback's w/ 3.5in Tips| X-Pipe| Roto Fab CAI| Pat G Tune| SLP Lowering Springs| Lovell's Bushings/Bearings| SS Brake Lines| Hawk HPS| Pacesetter Long Tubes|

V8 G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
ExpLiciTSainT
Cars are my hobby...

Sounds to be like the winter time isn't exactly helping you choose which car because if it was, the M3 and CTS-V would not be up there. It'd be either the S4 or SHO.

If I ignored the winter thing... I'd get the CTS-V. They just plain looks so bad a@$ and you can build upon the power. My M3 e46 broke dang near every single month. I drove her super hard though. Luckily I had a warranty, but not everything was covered.

2008 G8 GT - Procharger 14PSI D1SC, Squash Double Pumper & Fuel Rails, ID725, ZR1 Map, Port & Polished w/ 4 angle heads, Forge 9.5:1, Pacesetters 1 3/4" LTH (CAT-less), Flowmaster Super 44s, X-pipe, Brembos, 3200 FTI Triple Stall, EBC rotors & yellow pads, Motegii MR120 20x9 +38 275/30s wheels, Pedders Coilovers/Swaybars, BMR Strut bar, Pat G cam/tune!

Old: 353.8
New: 632/530 Mustang Dyno
ExpLiciTSainT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
Zodiac
In the slow lane

If I had to choose between any of those cars, I'd jump on the S4.

2014 Ram 1500 QC Express
2014 Mazda6 Touring
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
sweetair

I just got a 2013 SHO. I am LOVING this car. Mine has the PP as well as every option available.
sweetair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Zodiac
In the slow lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetair View Post
I just got a 2013 SHO. I am LOVING this car. Mine has the PP as well as every option available.
Love the 13 SHO, especially in blue and green. My wife wants one, they are too expensive and heavy though for the money. Cramped interior is also bad. Otherwise an awesome car.

2014 Ram 1500 QC Express
2014 Mazda6 Touring
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
bostonf4$

Keep pushing the dealers on the SHO and they will drop drop DROP that price for you, believe me - I couldn't believe how much they were willing to negotiate when I looked at one.

If it were me I'd be torn between the SHO and the S4, on one hand I am partial to a manual transmission, but the SHO is much larger....I used to be scared of Audis reliability-wise but my mom has a new A4 and it has been rock solid.

2 other cars you do not mention: 335ix sedan (can also be had w/ manual and AWD), and A subaru WRX/STi - you may not like the looks, but if you can live w/ the size of an S4 the subie is about the same, and is a BLAST to drive and can be made VERY fast.
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
sweetair

Trading in the G8 offset the $$ wonderfully. It is heavy 4300lb, but I like the weight of it. Inside, my 175lb 5'10" frame fits just fine. I likek the cozyness of it. My kids really like the REAR heated seats. I like the heated steering wheel, autopark (I can parallel park just fine but it is stupid cool) and the bluetooth that I thought the G8 was going to have is wonderful too.

Can't find too much to complain about. Put the car in S selection and there is tons of power. Stock G8 vs. stock SHO, I think the SHO wins (though not by much).
sweetair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
Darkside
Hsv Gts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonf4$ View Post
Keep pushing the dealers on the SHO and they will drop drop DROP that price for you, believe me - I couldn't believe how much they were willing to negotiate when I looked at one.

2 other cars you do not mention: 335ix sedan (can also be had w/ manual and AWD), and A subaru WRX/STi - you may not like the looks, but if you can live w/ the size of an S4 the subie is about the same, and is a BLAST to drive and can be made VERY fast.
The Subi is too boy racer for me, I'm getting old now. I had a 335xi before and it seemed small and like I was sitting on the ground.

The Sho is definately high on my list right now. The problem being that I don't know how long the good deals will stick around, 36-38k for a 46k msrp. Ford dealers aren't going to give me squat for a Viper trade, and its not like I'm taking it out of winter storage to show it to them all.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Crazy_8

Get a truck!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
bostonf4$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
The Subi is too boy racer for me, I'm getting old now. I had a 335xi before and it seemed small and like I was sitting on the ground.

The Sho is definately high on my list right now. The problem being that I don't know how long the good deals will stick around, 36-38k for a 46k msrp. Ford dealers aren't going to give me squat for a Viper trade, and its not like I'm taking it out of winter storage to show it to them all.
I thought the same thing on the Subie STi, but after having driven one (had downpipe and cobb tuning thing) I was really impressed w/ the driving dynamics of it. The only car that reminded me of it (and I know this will sound like blasphemy) is my boss' 2012 porsche 911-4...both felt milled form a solid brick of AL, both had similar exhaust notes, both had great notchy "industrial" feeling shifters/mechanics, pulled very similar too - I bet they're equally as fast.

I wouldn't think you'd have to take the viper out to show it unless you were close to a deal, I'd call ahead and say hey I got this viper I'm looking to trade its in excellent shape blah blah what is ballpark you will give for me. Believe me - ANY dealer would like to have a viper in the showroom, it is a conversation piece and WILL sell.
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
Belo

instead of the m3, maybe consider the 335xi. Easily and cheap to mod the twin turbo to make some serious power and also offers some great features with certain packages and the awd that you might need. On a cheaper note, I'd recommend a legacy gt. Nice features and awd and power without the boyracer styling of the wrx. I considered these 2 cars before i got the g8 for a steal during their firesale. Obviously I live in western ny... so I then bought a truck to drive in the winter hahha.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Merrick6.0GT

S4 all the way. I have riden in them and have drove one around VIR a few times. Audi in my opinion is tied with Subaru with making the best AWD system out there. The S4 has a lot of room in them as well. My friend that owns a S4 is 6'7" and that is the main reason he has this car other than it is a blast to drive in any weather and just has more style and sophistication than a Tuarus (in my opinion). The newer V6T models are fast too, on a track like VIR I can't hang with them, the older 4.2 V8 I can beat most of them unless tweaked though those things sound awesome.
So for me if I were wanting a Daily Driver for winter and still want something fun and has some class and sophistcation S4, a reflash and those things are really damn fast.
Merrick6.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement