Sport Mode shift actuation 6L80 transmission - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 10-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
mj_duell

Default Sport Mode shift actuation 6L80 transmission

Does anyone here know if the physical shifts in sport mode are activated by a rod or cable or if it is done electronically? I'm assuming one of two scenarios. Either a rod pushes or pulls on the rod to mechanically activate up and down shifts or the shifts are caused by the shifter opening and closing a circuit that electronically activates a control that is probably inside the 6L80 transmission. If anyone has technical diagrams or drawings of this I would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Mike

2008 Pontiac-Holden G8/GT Panther Black Metallic
(NEP Custom tune, Roto-Fab CAI, Magnaflow Cat-Back, VMS HSRK, JBA Stainless Headers, 20" Breyton Race GTS/Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, Pedders Track II and STB, GRRRR8 Plenum Cover Mod) (Sold)

2006 C6 Corvette LT3/Z51 (Sold)
1966 A&C Cobra Replica 428/Toploader (Sold)
1994 C4 Black Cherry Corvette (Sold)
mj_duell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
VectorMotorsports

It's electronic, the manual gates have switches.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
gr8t gt

Sport and normal mode is full automatic control by the TCM. Manual mode is up/down electrical switches sending signals to the TCM for manual gear selection.

Rare '09 MGM GT7 ONYX/RED
TVS1900 @ 6.5psi, Kooks LT, Cats, SLP Powerflow Mufflers, Swiss cheese stock air box, LS9 Cam and Injectors, BAP
516 rwhp-462 rwtq (time for larger injectors and more boost)

'11 Silverdo LTZ DuraMax
Stock (for now)

'12 Mustang GT/CS
Loud Ass Flowmaster's (wife's car)
gr8t gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
mj_duell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8t gt View Post
Manual mode is up/down electrical switches sending signals to the TCM for manual gear selection.
Manual mode is what I meant. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I would assume there are two circuits for this under the console somewhere. Has anyone seen the wiring for this while taking things apart? Does anyone have any wiring diagrams?

Thanks,

Mike

(NEP Custom tune, Roto-Fab CAI, Magnaflow Cat-Back, VMS HSRK, JBA Stainless Headers, 20" Breyton Race GTS/Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, Pedders Track II and STB, GRRRR8 Plenum Cover Mod) (Sold)

Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
DolomiteG8

Quote:
Manual mode is what I meant. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I would assume there are two circuits for this under the console somewhere. Has anyone seen the wiring for this while taking things apart? Does anyone have any wiring diagrams?
Lookin' to do a tap shift?
2008 PBM G8GT - Premium Package / Vararam CAI / HSRK / OBX LT's / X-Pipe / SLP PowerFlo Axle Backs / Chrome Camaro 20's / G2 Painted Calipers / Upgraded LCAs / 35% Tint / Holden V8 badges / Tuned via HPTuners
DolomiteG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
The Commodore
Stryker

so it is possible to make the manual shifts quicker than how slow they are now?
Deciding: Cam in a year?
The Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
r.penguin@comcast.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commodore View Post
so it is possible to make the manual shifts quicker than how slow they are now?
YES! The Vector MS tune covers the ECM & TCM programming and torque mgt. Once properly tuned the Manual shifts are very quick.
r.penguin@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
The Commodore
Stryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.penguin@comcast.net View Post
YES! The Vector MS tune covers the ECM & TCM programming and torque mgt. Once properly tuned the Manual shifts are very quick.
good because today i was trying manual shift but this time with more spirited driving and just kept it in sport because of how slow my shifts were coming in
Deciding: Cam in a year?
The Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
mj_duell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolomiteG8 View Post
Lookin' to do a tap shift?
Not so much a tap as a .....paddle! Development is already well underway.

--Mike

Old 10-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
1500cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commodore View Post
good because today i was trying manual shift but this time with more spirited driving and just kept it in sport because of how slow my shifts were coming in
The car rags have said that they get their best times by leaving it in sport mode. Manual mode slows down the shifts too much. It's more meant for when you want to have control over what gear you're in, e.g. you're on a race track and want to hold a gear for an upcoming corner.
1500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Sub_Zero
Young Gun

Default Vector Tune??

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.penguin@comcast.net View Post
Where can I get the vector MS tune and how do I apply it to my car?
Sub_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
MtbDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
Where can I get the vector MS tune and how do I apply it to my car?
From VECTOR MOTORSPORTS! Look to the left in the sponsor list, or down at the bottom of the menu page in the sponsors' forums.
Pedders bushings + swaybars
??stereo??
?GXP front brakes?

2005 GTO - Cyclone Gray Metallic M6 - Link
GenTT twin turbos @ 10psi
19" ROH Drift-R's w/ Toyo T1 245/275
Koni/Pedders springs/various bushings/Hotchkis swaybars
Baer brakes 14" / 13"
RPS clutch + GMM Ripshift
Alpine + CDT + eDesign = GREAT SOUNDS
HID - high AND low beams
custom paint mods
MtbDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
mj_duell

I had NEP make some custom changes to the manual mode for road racing. The transmission shifting in manual is very aggressive and even drops off the power for a millisecond before the shift change. I am also allowed to go much deeper into the rev range than before when shifting down. I need to be careful, but it made a world of difference. Sport mode is also very aggressive as well. Mike at NEP would have more accurate info on what he did so contact him if you need input. I will keep you up to date on the project. I don't have a lot of time to work on it, but we'll see if I can get it out in the next month or two. I managed to get a used wheel from a forum member here and I ordered Corvette paddles to try and fit them. So far, so good.

--Mike

Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
GeorgeInNePa
I can haz Horsepower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_duell View Post
I had NEP make some custom changes to the manual mode for road racing. The transmission shifting in manual is very aggressive and even drops off the power for a millisecond before the shift change. I am also allowed to go much deeper into the rev range than before when shifting down. I need to be careful, but it made a world of difference. Sport mode is also very aggressive as well. Mike at NEP would have more accurate info on what he did so contact him if you need input. I will keep you up to date on the project. I don't have a lot of time to work on it, but we'll see if I can get it out in the next month or two. I managed to get a used wheel from a forum member here and I ordered Corvette paddles to try and fit them. So far, so good.

--Mike
Keep us informed, that looks neat.

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723-60' Bolt Ons and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--

Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!
GeorgeInNePa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
Gavine

I drive in manual mode quite often. My last car had paddle shifters and I liked them better than using the shifter. I would be interested in adding paddle shifters to my G8.
Gavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
mj_duell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavine View Post
I drive in manual mode quite often. My last car had paddle shifters and I liked them better than using the shifter. I would be interested in adding paddle shifters to my G8.
Exactly my thoughts. I chose Corvette paddles because they are already in use and hooked up to the same type of automatic in the Corvette that we use in our GT's. They look good and would appear stock if I can get them installed. There seems to be two problems which can be solved with some time. The first is the mounting of the paddles. There is just enough room under the back cover to fit the Corvette paddles though the plastic, however there is no good mounting surface to match up with the stock bolt holes in the paddles. I will have to make small aluminum brackets for this, no big deal. Another related issue is cutting a nice hole for each paddle in the plastic. I can easily create a template, but the actual cutting may prove messy. I'm thinking of using a modified hot knife or soldering iron to get the job done. The next hurdle is the wiring to the switches under the console. I'm not sure what is under there yet so wiring may or may not be a hassle. I also need to figure out how to handle the wiring through the steering wheel and the turning of the wheels effect on the wires. I will keep taking pictures and try to keep everyone up to date.

--Mike

Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #17
99-LS1-SS
Sporting the GXP

Very cool idea. I kind of wish they would do this from the factory.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #18
mj_duell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
Very cool idea. I kind of wish they would do this from the factory.
I agree. I had expected it from the first time I heard about the G8/GT. I feel the need for it every time I use the manual mode.

--Mike

Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #19
Willow

Quote:
Not so much a tap as a .....paddle! Development is already well underway.

--Mike
Lots of kits out there will work on the car, as you already know

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500cc View Post
The car rags have said that they get their best times by leaving it in sport mode. Manual mode slows down the shifts too much. It's more meant for when you want to have control over what gear you're in, e.g. you're on a race track and want to hold a gear for an upcoming corner.
Quote:
I had NEP make some custom changes to the manual mode for road racing. The transmission shifting in manual is very aggressive and even drops off the power for a millisecond before the shift change.--Mike
Part of that is in the tune.. especially with how it manages torque. By purely disabling torque management on downshifts you'll notice the car suddenly wakes up when it knows you want to do something, and it plants itself better when you nail the gas. Of course, it's best to fine-tune all aspects of shifting and not just drop off TQ management.
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
mj_duell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Lots of kits out there will work on the car, as you already know

Part of that is in the tune.. especially with how it manages torque. By purely disabling torque management on downshifts you'll notice the car suddenly wakes up when it knows you want to do something, and it plants itself better when you nail the gas. Of course, it's best to fine-tune all aspects of shifting and not just drop off TQ management.
True, but I wanted a stock look to the paddles. Everything I've seen is fairly tacky or is a universal design. The Corvette steering wheels back cover is angled very close to that of the G8 and the side spokes are almost the same width. Made sense to me to give them a try, not to mention Corvette paddles are only $20.00 a piece as replacement parts. As for the tranny, NEP did all of their work via the Tranny and TQ Man. software. It was fine tuned with great results. I told them exactly what I wanted as far as track use, especially downshifts for corners with consideration to over-rev protection. Again, Mike at NEP would know the specifics. The shifts are very fast as well. Much faster than my previous tune, both up and down. The combination of the shifting and the Pedders parts have made the car an amazing street/track car.

--Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement