Motorcycle Riders - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Belo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Motorcycle Riders

Hey, does anybody here ride a motorcycle?

I've had a curiosity/interest in them, but both my Wife and my Mother have all sorts of horror stories about how dangerous it is.

I realize it's a bike and you're in traffic (that likes to text while drive), but what do actual riders here think about the safety of a bike on the streets? Do you find yourself in compromising situations all that often?

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 AM

I rode for years and gave them up about 10 years ago. Most of the accidents riders I knew had were the fault of another driver. There's the old saying that there's 2 kinds of riders....those that have gone down and those that will go down. I only went down once in all the years I rode and luckily it was at low speeds when someone pulled out in front of me.....no injuries. I was a pretty defensive rider and never really had any other close calls. I absolutely loved riding, but as life got busier and busier the only time I had to ride was to work and back.....and ultimately decided the risk of my kids growing up without a dad wasn't worth it to me and started playing more with cars instead.

2009 SBM GT: all stock for now!

1998 Z28: 370ci twin turbo, faceplated t56, 900+rwhp
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That seems to be the observations the guys here that ride have made.

I gather bike technology has gotten better for safety, but my wife (and my mother) seem to assert that it's a death trap.

I figured I'd spill for a lower cost used bike until I get used to it. I'll also take the course before really starting out. Most say they love it but you just have to look out for yourself by keeping alert of other drivers.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:41 PM
every village has one

Still ride, but not as much as I used to. Now I pick when I go, and where I go.
My biggest concern is with distracted drivers, but I still enjoy getting out.
I understand where your wife and mother are comin from.
When I got my first bike, my mother thought it was the end of the world.
Year later, she helped my buy my first "big" bike, 1970 Triumph Bonneville. Wish I still had them both....

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchr49 View Post
My biggest concern is with distracted drivers, but I still enjoy getting out.
I understand where your wife and mother are comin from.
I definitely understand the concern of distracted drivers. That's sort've my biggest worry.

My wife seems a little more receptive, but my mother thinks back to the horror story of my cousin who never maintained his bike. He ended up going over some handle bars, and that story permeated through the rest of the family, she was dead set against them. Kinda like I wouldn't bother to.... you know.... change the oil?

Though, you're right, they're concerns do have merit.

I think I'm gonna take the classes locally first to see if I even like it.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 PM

Garage
In general, yes - you have to be more aware of other traffic on a bike than you do in a car/truck. Crashes happen, regardless of who's at fault - the axiom about types of riders above is very true, all you can do is be as prepared as possible. Good riding habits and good gear will go a long way towards helping to minimize the potential impact. I don't feel concerned or unsafe each time I get onto the bike.

I do a couple trips a year, but I'd say over 60% of each year's riding is generally "commuting" - just back and forth to work, visiting family, running errands, etc. I've been down multiple times, luckily at low speeds and relatively minor incidents. Starting out on an inexpensive and used bike was a big part of what I wanted, I expected that at some point while learning I'd end up falling at some point and didn't want to feel bad about falling over and scratching it up.

Bike maintenance is important....well, car/truck maintenance is important, bike maintenance is significantly more than just "important". Improper maintenance can lead to either breakdowns at inconvenient areas/times, or can also lead to crashes depending on what component fails. You have to be able to trust what you're riding on, especially if you intend to do any long trips. I expect based on the fact that you're spending time here that you would be keeping up with the maintenance, but it's also something to consider for whatever bike you buy, as not everyone feels the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
I figured I'd spill for a lower cost used bike until I get used to it. I'll also take the course before really starting out. Most say they love it but you just have to look out for yourself by keeping alert of other drivers.
This is a good plan, it's a lot of investment to get involved particularly if you end up finding out after only a few rides that you don't enjoy it. A lower cost used bike is also a good way to start, especially since different styles of bikes behave very differently and you may not end up liking the first one as much as you thought.

Should you decide you do enjoy it and want to get a bike, be prepared that all of your relatives/friends will have "known someone" who had a bike and was involved in an accident. For whatever reason they will often feel compelled to tell you these stories to the best of their ability, which generally focuses only on the fact that the rider was injured/killed, with no explanation regarding how this actually may have occurred. As I mentioned above, defensive riding is your friend and can help to limit the severity of many circumstances.

Nick
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Don't cheap out on the riding gear

I have to agree with all the above posts, but if/when you do get on a bike do not try to save money by getting cheap riding gear. That stuff is literally the only thing between you and whatever you come in contact with. Depending on how eager you are to get on a bike you may want to wait for the seasonal bike shows for bargains. Bargains on good products is different than cheap products. Do you have any local bike clubs, groups associations nearby? Those people will be happy to talk to you about bikes, gear etc. Good luck with the new adventure, ride safe.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've got a few biker friends that are going to help me. I really wanted to branch out and see what other bikers thought. I'm getting good feedback here and elsewhere so I appreciate everybody's responses.

@naskie18 - I definitely understand the maintenance part. Should I dive in and get a bike after the classes (assuming that I enjoy it), I would be careful to not only get one that's been cared for, but I'll care for it meticulously myself. That means that it doesn't leave the driveway without a routine inspection before every ride. Not a lengthy one, but sort of a safety inspection you'd do on a forklift before operating it every day. I definitely understand the importance there.

@$omeoldguysG8 - Cheap gear is definitely out of the question. I figure at first I'd have a full helmet, and as I get comfortable I'd be okay with a half helmet. I was partial to the army helmet look, but that's not something I'd get right at the get-go. Just something different about it that says "experienced biker" to me... which means you should actually be an experienced biker... LOL not a poser.

This is all still preliminary, but again, I appreciate the responses.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
I figure at first I'd have a full helmet, and as I get comfortable I'd be okay with a half helmet.
I would recommend taking a look at the "modular" versions of full face helmets, they're extremely convenient, particularly when a sneeze is necessary, or if you need to have a short conversation while stopped at a light with another rider. It will also offer you the ability to ride with both a full or a "half" face helmet type style.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Something like This?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 PM

I have a highly modded crotch rocket. Used to ride all the time, then I got my G8 and once again started modding. Now my bike just sits in the garage all but about 2 hours a month, I think I just liked the aspect of I could go however fast I wanted whenever I wanted as quickly as I wanted... kind of like our cars...lol. They're fun but also very dangerous. I live in a small town and have been pulled out in front of a number of times, never gone down luckily. Ride EXTREMELY defensively.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Something like This?
A former coworker did have something similar to that (Bell Revolver, if I remember the brand/model right), he liked it, but I was thinking more along the lines of most of these
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hey, does anybody here ride a motorcycle?

I've had a curiosity/interest in them, but both my Wife and my Mother have all sorts of horror stories about how dangerous it is.

I realize it's a bike and you're in traffic (that likes to text while drive), but what do actual riders here think about the safety of a bike on the streets? Do you find yourself in compromising situations all that often?
I use to drive a bike in the 80's it was a lot of fun. But as other people have said it can be very dangerous as cars do not or are to distracted to see you. I have gone down once when it was wet & slid through an intersection. I had a rain gear as well as leather jacket on. I still had scrapes on my skin, but it could have been a lot worse. Luckily there was no cars at the intersection & I was not going all that fast.
I still think about getting a bike, but it can be very dangerous especially the way people drive today. If you get one make sure you know how to drive one & respect the road, as i have seen some people on bikes take some very risky moves.

K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM

Those modular that flip up are great for guys that wear glasses, but if you check them out find out how easy it is to repair the integrated flip down visor. I bought an HJC last year and just after riding season started this year the catch that holds the visor down broke and I'd have to take the helmet apart to fix it which I don't want to do during riding season. Winter will be here before you know it and I can tinker then. Just something to think about when going out to buy a helmet.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskie18 View Post
In general, yes - you have to be more aware of other traffic on a bike than you do in a car/truck. Crashes happen, regardless of who's at fault - the axiom about types of riders above is very true, all you can do is be as prepared as possible. Good riding habits and good gear will go a long way towards helping to minimize the potential impact. I don't feel concerned or unsafe each time I get onto the bike.

I do a couple trips a year, but I'd say over 60% of each year's riding is generally "commuting" - just back and forth to work, visiting family, running errands, etc. I've been down multiple times, luckily at low speeds and relatively minor incidents. Starting out on an inexpensive and used bike was a big part of what I wanted, I expected that at some point while learning I'd end up falling at some point and didn't want to feel bad about falling over and scratching it up.

Bike maintenance is important....well, car/truck maintenance is important, bike maintenance is significantly more than just "important". Improper maintenance can lead to either breakdowns at inconvenient areas/times, or can also lead to crashes depending on what component fails. You have to be able to trust what you're riding on, especially if you intend to do any long trips. I expect based on the fact that you're spending time here that you would be keeping up with the maintenance, but it's also something to consider for whatever bike you buy, as not everyone feels the same way.

This is a good plan, it's a lot of investment to get involved particularly if you end up finding out after only a few rides that you don't enjoy it. A lower cost used bike is also a good way to start, especially since different styles of bikes behave very differently and you may not end up liking the first one as much as you thought.

Should you decide you do enjoy it and want to get a bike, be prepared that all of your relatives/friends will have "known someone" who had a bike and was involved in an accident. For whatever reason they will often feel compelled to tell you these stories to the best of their ability, which generally focuses only on the fact that the rider was injured/killed, with no explanation regarding how this actually may have occurred. As I mentioned above, defensive riding is your friend and can help to limit the severity of many circumstances.
Strongly agree with you.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:00 AM

Bikes scare the ever loving crap outta me.
I'll walk thanks.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluraacker345 View Post
Strongly agree with you.
somethings up with this guy.

another weird bump on a dead forum
https://www.3800pro.com/forum/round-...g-laundry.html
tchr49 and USAFA_09 like this.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
Haha! I have been noticing the same thing, multiple posts on here within the last day or two.....the enemy is gettin' crafty these days, now our G8s aren't even safe!!! If not the enemy, then my next guess is one of those Brevity-Bots...which is nailing it in that case.

'09 GXP - Stryker Blue, Optimus
'18 Road Glide Special, Bonneville Salt
Days of Yore
'08 G8 GT (Vanna) White Hot
'09 G8 GT (LeVana) White Hot
Go Air Force!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page