Be careful what you wish for... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Be careful what you wish for...

Saturday morning, I saw an ad for 2" headers. I muttered that I would like to have a pair, to replace my 1-7/8" Kooks. LSAs need to breathe, ya know?

So, I decided to clean up.the car. Needed an engine wash, so headed over to the local coin op. Got it nice and clean, fired it up. A quick rev, put it in Drive, then it sputtered and died! I've washed the engine bay many times with no such ill effect. I mean, no power to anything
Put it back into Park, restarted no problem. Drove off. Got a 1/4 mile down the road, on a two lane, turned up a hill, it died again. Came back, put the 4-ways on, blocking traffic....then the smoke appeared.

F&*K! MY CAR IS ON FIRE!!

Popped the hood, saw the flames down by the driver's side header. Started blowing, got it out, then it reignited! I start screaming if anyone had any water, thought for a moment about pissing on it, then remembered I had a small bottle in the car. Grabbed it, put out the flames, called the police to come help with traffic so I could get out of the way, then AAA for a tow. Borrowed a Leatherman from the cop to disco the battery, after I coasted it back down the hill, thru the intersection, and safely into a driveway.

The battery cable coming up to the under hood post was against the header, and burned through, shorting the battery out. Apparently the plastic hold down failed, allowing the cable to get up against the header.
Got it home, (AAA driver knew all about G8s), tied off the cable, reconnected the battery, and it fired right up...

...BUT...

...it actually burned a hole in the header primary tube! I'll patch it up better tomorrow, but 2" headers, here I come!!

Now, to change my shorts....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire.jpg (82.3 KB, 44 views)

'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
LS3, with LSA Blower, ACE ported heads, BTR springs and retainers, Straub trunnion upgrade, RCR cam, Kooks LTs/mids, Hooker SS MaxFlow mufflers.
BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizers, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links/trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
Hawk pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time, then- 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:14 PM

What brand headers? Kooks or ARH 1 7/8 > Chinese 2" garbage.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
What brand headers? Kooks or ARH 1 7/8 > Chinese 2" garbage.
I have to agree on this. I almost had my arms chopped off because of some Chinese made crap jack pads I used while rotating my tires. Now I got some jack pads that cost 5 times more than the Chinese crap ones. But at least I don't have to worry about losing my arms.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:29 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
In the car industry, you always get what you pay for.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page