what caliper color on Silver? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By MGMGXP
  • 1 Post By tchr49

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

what caliper color on Silver?

Been battling a glazed brake feeling (need excessive pedal pressure for braking) that never goes away for so years now. Been thru a few sets of OEM pads and tried OEM and cryco treated rotors, no change. I always wanted to swap in a new master to rule that out, but after searching here so many people with same complaint said new master didnt change a thing.

So instead of battling stock GT brakes any more, I thinking of going brembo in all four corners now that the rear e-brake is not an issue. Might as well powder coat my nice new calipers, but the big question: what color.

I've had red calipers on all my cars back 20 years ago when it was an exotic thing, but that was 20 years ago when if you did your calipers in any color but red you were a freak. Now anything seems to go. I've been looking at pics of calipers on cars and I hate blue, but like green yellow and red. Blue looks weird, and I think a lot of hybrid and e-cars come with green calipers. So now I'm thinking the traditional red or maybe a gold-ish yellow. Yellow may be too ricey while red might be too old school. lol

Anyone else have opinions? Or even better pics of silver G8 with caliper bling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 PM

Maybe too boring for you , stock GXP silver ?

Charcoal Gray?

Something that does not scream "look at me ,look at me"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20160510-022491.jpg (146.8 KB, 29 views)

Black M6 GXP
Black '09 GT
LS7 T56 Chev Wagon
'70 W31 Cutlass
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:35 PM
The Mustang dude

Red is classic, but a cool gunmetal would work just as well if you're going with a bright finished wheel. If a dark wheel, go red or black.

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:54 PM
Sarcasm Personified

Copper/Orange.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:34 AM

Silver.
Belo and GXP-G8 like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 AM
every village has one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
Silver.
Yep...
GXP-G8 likes this.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
TurboMike I just upgraded to a silver GT, and I've been searching for the same. Seems like no one has done any other color calipers on this color, couldn't find any pics or anything. About the blue, after doing some searching I found a silver C6 and a CTS-V with blue calipers and imo they looked pretty good, they popped without obnoxiously screaming.

Gisele - 2009 Sport Red Metallic 3.6L
TS|S Concept Badge
Holden Wheel Caps
Roto-Fab CAI
Hood Vent Mod
X Pipe
Super Sport Steering Wheel
Holden Air Bag
VG Sharkfin
GXP Diffuser
Sold 5/3/19...

Persephone - 2009 Maverick Silver Metallic 6.0
Mods coming soon...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

After asking around I'm leaning toward a bright neon yellow, or traditional red, or maybe a copper orange.

Although I'll probbaly just get red and play it safe lol. Silver and black, I'd probably just leave the caliper stock nobody's going to notice it. I think the CTS-V calipers might already be silver.

Creature have you found a powder coater? I've gotten priced from $80 a corner to $130 for all four from local places.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:06 PM

Garage
There's a few places in my area. I'm still doing research into my whole wheel and brake setup so I have yet to buy all the parts, then I'll start checking out pricing. Keep updating though, I wanna see your setup when you're done!

Gisele - 2009 Sport Red Metallic 3.6L
TS|S Concept Badge
Holden Wheel Caps
Roto-Fab CAI
Hood Vent Mod
X Pipe
Super Sport Steering Wheel
Holden Air Bag
VG Sharkfin
GXP Diffuser
Sold 5/3/19...

Persephone - 2009 Maverick Silver Metallic 6.0
Mods coming soon...

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 PM

When I bought my Solstice (Sly gray) the calipers were painted blue. I asked the seller about them and he told me he was planning on a blue rookie stripe as well. Lucky that I bought it when I did. The calipers were fairly easy to return to stock colors but the stripe may have called for a re-paint.
When I bought the G8, the first thing I did was clean up the brakes, re-paint the backing plates to remove rust, clean up and re-paint the rust on the rotor hubs and generally freshen everything up in the wheel wells. Don't need flashy colors to make them look good, clean and fresh speaks for itself.

VietNam vet, Pontiac lover

1969 Firebird 350, Carousel red t-5
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver V6
2008 Solstice GXP, Sly manual
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:39 AM

SAME color as the CAR !

09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO [email protected] 6177DA... tvs2300 [email protected] getting closer to a clean run !
07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO [email protected]
@ 4200' in the sky !
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
towing stuff with cars is cool !
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Hm all these votes for Silver. The CTSV calipers are already silver maybe I'll put them on the car and see how I like it for a few weeks. But then if I decide to powder coat afterwards the car will be down while I do it. Decisions decisions....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 AM
Sarcasm Personified

To me orange/copper looks amazing with a silver car. Don't do red. My last 2 cars came with red calipers from the factory and I could do without.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I was kinda surprised how many people said silver on a silver car. Sounds boring to me. I had my heart set on red or copper. Would probably go with red because I'll probably sell this car in a year or so, gotta go with the red standard to not piss off buyers.

But then the calipers arrived today and I didnt know GM paints them such a nice shiny silver. I thought they would be dull and OEM looking. Do i want to take the time to disassemble and ship/drive them to a powder coater, have to wait a week or so, pay money, and then mount them?

The cheap bastard in me is saying to put them on in silver and if I want to ppower coat them later keep the OEM calipers and rotors in a pile in the garage in case you powder coat them later. The lazy bastard in me is saying once you put these on you're not taking them off, but keep the OEM brakes a few months just in case. So I'll probably keep them like this. Front on right, rear on left (slightly smaller). I was gona order some high temp "brembo" vinyl stickers for after the powder coating, but I think I'll leave the Cadillac "V" on them.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:20 PM

Would install the brake calipers as is and let the new owner change the color if they choose to do so. Just PONY MAN'S $.02

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:41 PM

I left mine silver with V logos. People notice quickly they're not stock at shows and track days

2009 GT SRM - 90k miles - BMR, SuperPro, Brembos, Rotofab, HPTuners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page