• 1 Post By jrevans
  • 1 Post By whatnext
  • 1 Post By gunbunny
  • 1 Post By Carnagexz
  • 1 Post By TonyKarter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Smile Such a great roadtrip car

I just thought I'd mention what a great roadtrip car my 2009 G8 GT is.

Twice in the last month or so, I've had the chance to drive it across Pennsylvania (300+ miles each way) with my middle-school aged son. This car is such a blast on the highway, that I actually wasn't lusting for a GXP with the M6 for a while....

The acceleration from around 70mph to around 110mph is almost amazing, which makes it terrific to passing left-lane drivers (camping in the passing lane) on the right side with no problems. Just push down the accelerator pedal and go!

The car is comfortable, gets decent mileage (well, by my standards) and always manages to get compliments at the gas station and other places. It saddens me that Pontiac died right after making such an awesome car.
ekt8750 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:04 AM

+1

Thought of doing cross country road trips with the wife in a mini van but dropped that idea when we did a 2k mile road trip in the G8 this spring. Simply put, the driving is superb, especially when going thru 10s of miles of mountain switch backs (the factory brake pads sucked, but that’s another story). Was also previously thinking of switching to grand touring tires (currently Michelin Pilot sport as/3s) but the ride is better than my Mazda3 with grand touring tires so not going to give up the handling of high performance tires.
jrevans likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:44 AM

Ahhhh switchbacks. I miss living in twisty country. Most of Ohio is boring straightaways. The acceleration is handy on the 2-lane country highways when you’re stuck behind a semi and you hit a passing zone with a clear left lane.

Using the G8 for road trips was one of my reasons for buying it. “Look honey, the trunk is massive and see how roomy it is inside! Plenty of room for us and the kids. Horsepower? Yeah, about that. It has... enough.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrevans likes this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:38 AM

Agree with everyone. Where I live is mostly 2 lane highways, more than enough power for quick passing. Especially when you need to pass multiple at once. I don't know what my average is since owning the car, but multiple times I have gotten 25 mpg cruising 75 mph on long trips. Only thing I dislike being a heavier person is the lack of properly positioned lumbar support in the seats. I find myself using a rolled up shirt or something to compensate for long trips. Also agree with the trunk having plenty of room, plus the amount of rear legroom even with the front seats all the way back.

2009 Liquid Red GT

Currently Enjoying : WeatherTech Floor Liners, Tein S. Tech Springs, Monroe PPV Shocks/Struts, SuperPro Polyelast Top Mounts, 19" Sport Wheels & Firehawk Indy 500 Tires, 18" GT Wheels & Continental DWS06 Tires, Subwoofer Wire Mod, Kayhan Audio Headunit, 35% Llumar Ceramic Tint, Morimoto 35W HID Kit

Soon to come: CTS-V 4 Piston Brembos, CTS-V2 Sedan Wheels
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 AM

Last memorial week myself and my fiance drove to Texas from NYC. Later we expanded our drive and went up to NM(I wanted to see the desert.) and back. 5,500+ miles, 225 Gallons of gas and 27.7 mpg over a span of a week. The car held up beautifully even managed to race a few ppl in Texas (Apparently 140 is best you can do on the stock motor/tune.)

The car was super comfortable so 14+ hours a day of driving went by quick and didn't feel tired or anything. (Fixing and upgrading sound system helped some as well.) Don't even get me started to driving through the foothills and their twisty roads. I think I am convinced now to move to Texas.

The car really lives up to it's Gran Tourer class. Comfy roadtrip car with enough engine for some added fun. (Not the badge, the actual class.)
jrevans likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:17 PM

++1. Great road trip car. Wife and I took it to Gatlinburg. 2200 miles. 23+ mpg. Comfortable as heck. Saw 4 Ferraris. Only saw two other G8's. Are there more Ferraris in the US than G8's? One was one identical to mine. And it was WAY back up about as far as you can get on one of those asphalt loops in Smoky Mountain National Park. Way back in the woods. He was as surprised as I was!
jrevans likes this.

2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
Procharger D1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKarter View Post
++1. Great road trip car. Wife and I took it to Gatlinburg. 2200 miles. 23+ mpg. Comfortable as heck. Saw 4 Ferraris. Only saw two other G8's. Are there more Ferraris in the US than G8's? One was one identical to mine. And it was WAY back up about as far as you can get on one of those asphalt loops in Smoky Mountain National Park. Way back in the woods. He was as surprised as I was!
Ha, ha! I was staying in Sevierville (up the road from Gatlinburg). I did just over 2200 miles round trip from Albany NY. My best tank was a little over 25 mpg. I stayed on the main routes in the national park. The factory brake pads were transferring to the rotors and causing vibes when driving the switch backs and was really annoying but would clean off with a little brake dragging.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:40 AM

Your car must be close to stock. Once I started modifying it to be more fun on backroads, it stopped being so fun on the highway.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDBPR View Post
Your car must be close to stock. Once I started modifying it to be more fun on backroads, it stopped being so fun on the highway.
Mine is close to stock but with poly upper strut bushings, PPV dampers all around and just recently Bendix PPV brake pads. I noted a long time ago, based on the all the various bushing mods folks were doing, that the G8 seems very sensitive to bushing changes. So the G8 being a road trip vehicle for me, I am not doing any other mods. I did want to do the rear subframe inserts but with the wifey kicking my balls if I play around with the G8, I dropped them off the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page