Those with FI, what are your IATs? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Intake/Fuel Tech CAI, TBI, Porting, Forced Induction, Nitrous Oxide...

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Those with FI, what are your IATs?

I'm seeing ~20 degree above ambient at cruise, spiking to 40-50 above ambient with a 2 gear pull...

What are you seeing?

'09 MGM G8GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM

You centri, turbo, twin screw? What type we talking here. Also intercoolers? A to A or A to W? I'll be following so I'm curious on the setup

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa281 View Post
You centri, turbo, twin screw? What type we talking here. Also intercoolers? A to A or A to W? I'll be following so I'm curious on the setup
TVS 2300 w/ Stock Maggie intercooler.

'09 MGM G8GT

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm. I'm starting to wonder if my sensor is bad, Car sat in a 70 degree underground garage all day, and the IAT read 95 degrees before even starting the car... wtf?

'09 MGM G8GT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 11:17 PM

Mine's the same. About 20 over ambient when cruising and seems warm at startup. I think it's just the type of sensor Magnusson uses. Just make sure your timing vs. IAT table can take that into account and not unnecessarily pull timing.

2009 PBM G8 GT
TVS 1900 Maggie w/2.8" pulley (9-10 PSI), Maximizer LTs, High Flow Cats, LS9 injectors, Rotofab CAI, LC-2 WB, 40A KB BAP, TR6ix plugs, self tuned [250+ flashes], Camaro Paddle Shifters, UPR catch can, 4300k HIDs, Remote Start Heated Seat Control Module , Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, JBL GTO628's, JL 8w3v3's w/JBL P180.2, Bridgestone RE-11 tires
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron407 View Post
Mine's the same. About 20 over ambient when cruising and seems warm at startup. I think it's just the type of sensor Magnusson uses. Just make sure your timing vs. IAT table can take that into account and not unnecessarily pull timing.
I'm about to just change my torque gauge to subtract 15 from what ever the damned reading is

'09 MGM G8GT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipz28 View Post
I'm about to just change my torque gauge to subtract 15 from what ever the damned reading is
Personally, I'd just leave it as is. At least that way you know what's being considered in the ECM calculations, including timing pulls. Alternatively, if you have access to a tuner, you could calibrate the IAT sensor readings.

2009 PBM G8 GT
TVS 1900 Maggie w/2.8" pulley (9-10 PSI), Maximizer LTs, High Flow Cats, LS9 injectors, Rotofab CAI, LC-2 WB, 40A KB BAP, TR6ix plugs, self tuned [250+ flashes], Camaro Paddle Shifters, UPR catch can, 4300k HIDs, Remote Start Heated Seat Control Module , Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, JBL GTO628's, JL 8w3v3's w/JBL P180.2, Bridgestone RE-11 tires
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron407 View Post
Personally, I'd just leave it as is. At least that way you know what's being considered in the ECM calculations, including timing pulls. Alternatively, if you have access to a tuner, you could calibrate the IAT sensor readings.
Hell I didn't even notice this table. I'll look at doing this, thanks!

'09 MGM G8GT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:36 AM

With the Magnuson the IAT sensor was moved from the intake tube to inside the manifold after the blower. This was done to allow the engine to compensate for the heat increase caused by the air charge being compressed by the blower.

But it does result in higher than ambient temps being reported. Just because the number is higher isn't a problem if the associated tables that use IAT in the timing and fueling calculations have been adjusted to compensate.

And your engine will stay warm most of the day after having driven in the morning keeping the sensor toasty.. But again this is the temp of the air going into the cylinder and better reflects what is actually going on.

If you change what temp is being reported to a lower number you will not know what that charged airs temp truly is going into those cylinders.. And that is important to now in boosted applications, it will probably be the first thing to alert you that the intercooler pump has stopped working...

09 SRM GXP M6 Onyx VIN# 208718
#13 of 1829 GXPs
#2 of 171 SRM GXPs
Consolidated list of Mods to the car
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRobbinSS View Post
With the Magnuson the IAT sensor was moved from the intake tube to inside the manifold after the blower. This was done to allow the engine to compensate for the heat increase caused by the air charge being compressed by the blower.

But it does result in higher than ambient temps being reported. Just because the number is higher isn't a problem if the associated tables that use IAT in the timing and fueling calculations have been adjusted to compensate.

And your engine will stay warm most of the day after having driven in the morning keeping the sensor toasty.. But again this is the temp of the air going into the cylinder and better reflects what is actually going on.

If you change what temp is being reported to a lower number you will not know what that charged airs temp truly is going into those cylinders.. And that is important to now in boosted applications, it will probably be the first thing to alert you that the intercooler pump has stopped working...
I'm not talking about stopping the car for an hour or 2 and leaving it in the sun, it was sitting for 10 hours in an underground car park that was 70 degrees, no way that any piece of metal on that car was still warm, and when I turned the key on without starting it the sensor still read 95 degrees.

I'm going to pull the sensor out and get some readings from it and re calibrate the tables.

How ever, I'd still like to see what others are seeing for IATs

'09 MGM G8GT
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipz28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRobbinSS View Post

I'm not talking about stopping the car for an hour or 2 and leaving it in the sun, it was sitting for 10 hours in an underground car park that was 70 degrees, no way that any piece of metal on that car was still warm, and when I turned the key on without starting it the sensor still read 95 degrees.

I'm going to pull the sensor out and get some readings from it and re calibrate the tables.

How ever, I'd still like to see what others are seeing for IATs [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/driving.gif[/IMG]
Sorry to ressurect a VERY old thread, but im having IAT issues and through my searching I stumbled upon this.

My IATs are consistently 60 above ambient while cruising around town and on slow highways.

My IATs drop to about 20 above ambient while on the highway at about 75mph.

However I will add that the readings youre getting while the car has been sitting are not out of the ordinary. Mine will still read in the 90s even when its been sitting all night in 60-70 degree weather.

Anyone else have input on typical IATs while driving around town?

2015 SLIHR Chevrolet SS M6
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 PM

Town and slow highways will see, on average, less constant airflow and more demand for short periods of boost.
High speed highway driving lead to a steady supply of cool un-boosted air entering the intake.

Your numbers seem about right.

09 SRM GXP M6 Onyx VIN# 208718
#13 of 1829 GXPs
#2 of 171 SRM GXPs
Consolidated list of Mods to the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page