Headers plans, need opinions. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Headers plans, need opinions.

Hey guys, looking for some info on headers and wondering what would be my best approach. I want to buy a set of affordable headers to get my lovely G8 all ready for the summer. It's currently straight piped (with cats) with true dual exhaust, I like how it sounds, it's pretty loud, but a little raspy. Would a set of headers make it too loud as it's set up now, or just change the tone and make it deeper?
I plan on also getting a vararam intake and a tune to go with the headers, would i see a noticeable power increase over stock?
Just looking to get the best bang for my buck for now, it's my first year having the car. There may be some head work and a cam in the future, but I want to get the ugly stock air box and rusted exhaust manifold out before show season.
Can I hook up the headers to the stock cats? I just wanna avoid buying an expensive set of high flow ones right now if possible, and going catless isn't really an option in New York.
Let me know what you think of my "plan", I'm new to the G8 world so all feedback helps, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:22 PM

If you want inexpensive Manzos these can not be hooked up to stock cats. High flow cats is what you want with any headers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 PM

Garage
Coated Kooks through good vender with high flow cats 3 ' x pipe all Stainless. Mufflers are your choice but a straight pipe setup will be way loud.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 09:04 PM

SLP headers and cats will hook up to stock midpipes...

09 G8 GT in Stryker Blue Metallic
Mods
Go: Vararam CAI, SLP Headers, ATI 25% UDP, Magnaflow 12468 mid-muffler, PM-FL Axleback & FE3 Shocks N Struts.
Tuned by MAC Autosports of Parker, Colorado

Show: Little Trees US Flag Vanilla Scented Air Freshener; SLP Firehawk wheels...

The Track
Best 1/4: 13.969 @ 102.70mph @ Pueblo Motorsports Park
DA of 3921', with an actual elevation of 4662'
Pueblo, Colorado
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:40 PM

Don't think they make SLP headers anymore

2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Christina)
OGOC hang around
Mods: Flux Capacitor, 1000-shot spray, step bars,
a sticker, HY-KERS system, carbon fiber tires.

Personal Best: 12 parsecs @ Kessel Run
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Did sime research, think I'm going to check out the manzos. From what I've heard also I'll probably have to modify the collector to be 3", any recommendations for some relatively cheap high flow cats that would fit to it?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 PM

I'm running slp headers from Maryland Speed came with the cats. And ceramic coating. They bolted up to the borla cat back. Sounds good too.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonC View Post
Did sime research, think I'm going to check out the manzos. From what I've heard also I'll probably have to modify the collector to be 3", any recommendations for some relatively cheap high flow cats that would fit to it?
I used the kit from solo but they were not that cheap but for me I have not had any issues. These came as a kit & where all in one piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b81bd2d63c551dd156a31774d13240b7-001copy.jpg (80.7 KB, 25 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:35 AM

I put on pypes headers and for the price couldn't be better. If you want cats just get these inexpensive headers and weld on some high flow cats.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have Manzos on their car and could speak for their quality? I heard from other threads that the quality is hit or miss. My main concern really is the 202 grade stainless steel, is it going to just rust after 6 months or a year? If they aren't gonna last, I'll just get some "more expensive" ones.

2009 Maverick Silver G8 GT Premium & Sport packages
Aesthetic mods:
-JHP Navigation system & gauge cluster
-Polished vented stainless steel hood panel
-20 inch TSW custom rims
-Holden Commodore SV6 Spoiler
Go fast mods:
-Straight piped
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Garage
Do the pypes bolt right up? Or are adapters needed. Currently have solo cat back on the gxp.

New
2009.5 GXP, Maverick Silver Metallic, Onyx/Red Interior,6-Speed Manual,Roof

Mods -Camaro Wheels,BC coilovers,Hids, Rotofab intake,Solo Cat back
26700 miles

Gone 12-2-2015
Go - VCM intake, Xpipe, Solo axle backs
Show - 20% tint all around, 18" VMR 710's Staggered, Orange Bathurst Stripe.
Planned - Pat G tune, maybe headers, rick c intake and tb
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM

Pypes bolt right up with no mids or cats.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:54 AM

I put JBA longtubes on my g8 and it really woke it up. Muffler shop can make the connection to your cat's. I got the ceramic coated 1 3/4 on ebay for like 550 and I thought that was too good to pass up. It dropped half second off 1000ft time at the track too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
’08 GT 28k miles, LSA @12psi, cam, E85, Fore twin 450’s, LT’s and full exhaust, Camaro 3.45’s, and all supporting mods
1000’ Best times
-8.72 @ 122 mph 60’ 1.47
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page