electric cutouts - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 71cb450

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

electric cutouts

I recently met up with the g8 group from Long Island. One person had electric cutouts on his G8. I am considering them for mine. I have the Magnaflow cat back so no resonators or mid muffler. I have a few questions. How hard are these to install do I need a muffler shop etc or can I do this myself ? Secondly even thought I am really putting this in cause I want my car louder will I see a hp increase some claim I will ? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM

i haven't done them on a g8 but have on another vehicle. I would have a shop weld in the mounts where you want them unless you have a lift and welding skills. Shouldn't cost too much to have them welded on though. The rest is pretty easy if you have done basic wiring. Need to run the wiring to a switch and power source, away from the exhaust. Once the brackets are welded on, the rest is a piece of cake.

You should gain a couple minimal HP in the upper RPM but i would assume you would loose a small amount of torque down low.

09 G8 GT - LT's, catless, x-pipe, GXP axlebacks, Tune, Intake, Polished Camaros, 245/285, H&R, Brembo
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:58 AM
I'd Rather Be Shifting

I think that if you've already got the Magnaflow system that you'd be better served just getting headers. You'll see more power gains and it will get a lot louder. Cutouts are great when running stock exhaust or very quiet aftermarket -- especially if retaining stock exhaust with longtubes for the perfect Jekyll/Hyde thing.

Either way, unless you can weld, you'll need to take it somewhere to have them installed. As mentioned, there is wiring that will need done; however, it's not elaborate.

2008 G8 GT sold|www.fquick.com/demonspeed
UMI Performance toe arms|trailing arms|tunnel brace|FE3|Whiteline
Domin8|LS3|Manzo|PowerBond|Vararam|VMax=390rwhp/385rwtq

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Headers it it. So what do I need to get header wise if I want to keep my cats ?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Proud owner

Garage
Get the used Kooks mids/ cats on the forum for sale right now. They rock

SRM GXP 6M
RotoFab intake, Kooks mids, Solo Axle-Backs
Patrick G tuned to the note of 419whp / 416tq
VMR710FF 19x9.5 all around.
Brembo rears

Gone- 2009 MGM GT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:42 PM
I'd Rather Be Shifting

If you want to keep the Magnaflow catback/midpipe setup you currently have, then you'll need to look at those Kooks mid-lengths like jerminator mentions. Not sure if there are other, cheaper alternatives to mid-length headers, but the only other option would be a true long tube header but you'd need to get a new [shorter] midpipe to bolt up to those if you want to keep the cats. If you are OK with ditching the cats, you can get the Manzo/Pypes tri-y headers or PaceSetters with their extension tubes.

edit: I would like to mention that if you are planning on keeping cats, you might find that it'll be louder with the cutouts placed right after the cats as opposed to getting the headers and retaining cats. Just something to think about depending on your true goal. Also, you'll want to get a tune if doing headers. You'd benefit from one with the cutouts open, too, but that's something you can control whereas headers are "always open" if that makes sense.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:40 PM

So far I'd agree with everything thats been said.

It took me a while to commit due to all the bad reviews i went with badlandz and have been very happy with them. If you go with cutouts. Get those. They have a 5 yr warranty and i think they cost me 400 bucks. Read reviews for yourselfand decide but that's mysuggestion.

If you go headers. Do the kooks. But be warned that if you buy used , no warranty at all. If the price is right then all good. Also, coated and not coated will also reflect the cost.

I've been happy with my combo and hopefully will be even happier after she's cammed. One day : )

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM

If the budget doesn't allow Kooks, then you could look at Pacesetter. I'm running them on my car with no issues. Only negative is they are 1 3/4" vs the kooks 1 7/8" primaries.

I had DMH cutouts on my Trans Am and I would stay away from that company. I'm not sure if they are even in business anymore. They don't answer the phone or emails when you have issues. People will have to try for months before getting a reply.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 AM
I'd Rather Be Shifting

DMH has been so hit or miss over the years that I'd never consider them. QTP is what I'd stick with, but I have seen that people had good luck with badlandz as pony killer mentions.

As for worrying about warranty with used headers -- honest question: what is there to worry about other than coating? How many people have ever had issues? Just curious as to what people are concerned about.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
DMH has been so hit or miss over the years that I'd never consider them. QTP is what I'd stick with, but I have seen that people had good luck with badlandz as pony killer mentions.

As for worrying about warranty with used headers -- honest question: what is there to worry about other than coating? How many people have ever had issues? Just curious as to what people are concerned about.
As long as they aren't all banged up, it a great way to save a couple bucks.

Manzo headers are 250 new
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:12 PM

Also. Keep in mind that if you are not tuned. You will need a tune with headers. Cut outs do not require a tune.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:32 PM
I'd Rather Be Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro383 View Post
As long as they aren't all banged up, it a great way to save a couple bucks.

Manzo headers are 250 new
Agreed.

I like my Manzo's -- $250 for stainless and 1-7/8" is a great deal. PaceSetters are good, too, for a true long tube design; however, one is getting a mild steel and 1-3/4" as has been pointed out. FWIW, I had PaceSetters on my Camaro and they worked just fine and fit great.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:34 PM

I have Bandlanz cutouts with longtube headers and I installed them myself with the help of a buddy, a welder and a plasma cutter. I can say that those cutouts are worth every penny. I use them with my stock axle backs to give me a nice drone free highway cruiser and then with the flip of a switch BOOM Nascar.
demonspeed likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Agreed.

I like my Manzo's -- $250 for stainless and 1-7/8" is a great deal. PaceSetters are good, too, for a true long tube design; however, one is getting a mild steel and 1-3/4" as has been pointed out. FWIW, I had PaceSetters on my Camaro and they worked just fine and fit great.
Manzo's are 1 7/8"???
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Well I am going with Kook's mid length headers. I have a Flashpaq tuner in the future I will be getting the car dyno tuned/remote tuned. What it would cost for decent electric cutouts plus to get them installed didnt seem worth it.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 08:14 PM
I'd Rather Be Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro383 View Post
Manzo's are 1 7/8"???
Yep!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in