GXP Axlebacks! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

GXP Axlebacks!

I know this is fairly common knowledge, but I wanted to reiterate as I haven't seen any recent threads that mention how AWESOME THE GXP MUFFLER IS on the GT with headers.

I met up with another user on here over the weekend and bought his GXP mufflers for a very good price.

I've got Kooks mids, stock mid-pipe cut out and replaced with an H, terminating at the GXP mufflers.

I've got DoD and it's definitely still noticeable, but only just. And so mild when cruising and at idle. But then getting on it... holy cow. I can't believe I have a car that is so loud. It's amazing lol.

Anyways, here's a short clip of rev and take-off.

10/10 would recommend to anyone that can find some.

https://youtu.be/Btp3onBCusg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:52 PM

Nice!!!!!
zm1040 likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:39 AM

I have them with JBA LT, stock mid and resonators. Its a little quiet, but I am thinking with the ARH headers and 3" X pipe with no mid muffler should be about right!

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:36 PM

I have a set on my wife's GT. Stock manifolds, x pipe in place of mid muffler, deleted resonators. Sounds awesome. Quiet normal driving. Roars when you lay into it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Confident Member

I'm tempted to get a set they're just so pricey for a used muffler. My car has longtubes to 3" full exhaust to solo axlebacks and it sounds like a race car at all times.

LS3 - Livernois 1C cam - Joker ported LSA - Vaporworx - e85 - 2.55 upper / stock lower

PB: 1.626 60' [email protected] PB Run
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 04:23 PM

I have them with a GXP mid and Pypes headers and I think they sound great. Highly recommended. I didn't want to pay up for them but glad I did!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 03:42 PM

i found a set. long tubes to X pipe through Pypes was too loud. added a Magnaflow mid and now its too quiet. Hoping GXP axle backs and taking out that magnaflow will be my middle ground that i am looking for.

09 G8 GT - LT's, catless, x-pipe, GXP axlebacks, Tune, Intake, Polished Camaros, 245/285, H&R, Brembo
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedrubber View Post
I'm tempted to get a set they're just so pricey for a used muffler. My car has longtubes to 3" full exhaust to solo axlebacks and it sounds like a race car at all times.
I bet that is crazy loud! But probably really fun ;P And yes, I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't stumbled upon the post. Got the pair for $250... Couldn't pass it up when I see them mostly going for $350+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-s View Post
i found a set. long tubes to X pipe through Pypes was too loud. added a Magnaflow mid and now its too quiet. Hoping GXP axle backs and taking out that magnaflow will be my middle ground that i am looking for.
I think you'll be very happy with it! I've still got cats, so it's not crazy, but the sound is great.

2009.5 GT, SRM Premium and Sport Packages
Show -
- Morimoto LED projector fog assemblies
- Spec-D LED tail light assemblies
- VG shark fin antenna
- Drag DR-64 20x9
Go -
- Rotofab CAI
- Kooks mids, mid-pipe delete with H, GXP mufflers
- Pat G. tuned
Ride -
- King Springs standard height/PPV Severe Duty
shocks/struts
- BMR poly rear cradle bushing inserts, sway bars, and strut tower brace

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedrubber View Post
They're so hard to find, so I settled on Chevy SS mufflers. Apparently they are supposed to sound just as awesome and are easy to modify to get to fit the G8. I got a pair with 1k miles for $200 picked up locally. I'll be installing them soon. GT mufflers are way too quiet.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1frc View Post
They're so hard to find, so I settled on Chevy SS mufflers. Apparently they are supposed to sound just as awesome and are easy to modify to get to fit the G8. I got a pair with 1k miles for $200 picked up locally. I'll be installing them soon. GT mufflers are way too quiet.
That's cheap. I sold My GT mufflers to someone who was putting them on a V6.I won my solo pipes, but I was looking at the GXP axle backs before I won my solo's.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
That's cheap. I sold My GT mufflers to someone who was putting them on a V6.I won my solo pipes, but I was looking at the GXP axle backs before I won my solo's.
People actually buy GT mufflers? Wow. How much? If I could get $50, I'd be happy.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I actually just put a set of SS mufflers on my GT with an x in place of the mid muffler/resonators. It does sound a hell of a lot better and louder, but I have to say I was thinking they were going to be a little louder.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 PM

Good to hear! My car is DD and it's a baby hauler, so not too loud will be perfect. I do have cam + headers, so it will be louder than yours though.

Was the install real straight forward with the flanges?
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
People actually buy GT mufflers? Wow. How much? If I could get $50, I'd be happy.
Sold mine for 140.00.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
Sold mine for 140.00.
Sweet
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Sweet
New they are pretty expensive, not that anyone would buy them. Solo's are pretty expensive but they do sound pretty good.

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 02:55 AM

There is a pair of GXP mufflers on eBay right now. Someone cut off the flanges though. 🙁
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Good to hear! My car is DD and it's a baby hauler, so not too loud will be perfect. I do have cam + headers, so it will be louder than yours though.

Was the install real straight forward with the flanges?
Nice, you'll have to let me know how that sounds because I wouldn't mind a little extra sound. The install was easy, measured the stock muffler tubing length with flange then cut the SS mufflers slightly longer to be safe, slid the new flanges on the pipes and mocked it up, then gave it to a guy i work with to weld it up. The only thing is the tips aren't as long as the stock mufflers so they sit inboard a little more, but if you're going to get new tips then it's no big deal. You may have seen this already but here's a link to a guy on YouTube with headers, no cats, and SS mufflers.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:01 PM

This SS supposedly has the stock mufflers. Good Lord it sounds good. Awesome car.

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Wish I could have found some GXP mufflers as cheap as you guys did. I'm about to spend 4 bills on some.

That SS sounds so damn good, hard to believe as I have not heard any other GXP or SS axle back sound anything close. Wonder what he has for headers and mid section?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page