Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Magnaflow 12468

5K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  dave2009 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been already been answered, but i could not find a clear answer. So I ordered Magnaflow axle back 16883 as i did not want it to be to load, just a nice deep rumble, just wanted it to sound like a V8. I have read about the drone and that a Magnaflow 12468 will stop the drone. Will this work?
Also will turning off the AFM with a tuner stop the drone with out any other changes??

#2 ·
mine took away drone and then some. I'm actually having mine pulled tomorrow. I would assume in your case that the magnaflow axle backs alone with an x pipe would be sufficient.

#3 ·
Do you mean disabling the AFM took the drone away? Or installing the Magnaflow 12468 took the drone away?

#4 ·
I have the 12468 installed along with Lt headers and a Magnaflow exhaust, my DOD is disabled. The 12468 does a great job at toning the exhaust. But it does not eliminate drone fully only muffles it. You will not have drone inside the cabin as before but it's still loud between 1500/2000 rpm.

#5 · (Edited)
So i'm wondering if the Magnaflow 12468 is what i should install.
- If I understand what bad-s said it took all the drone away.
- BarnesGN said it helps, but still loud at 1500/2000 RPM, and only muffed it?
Is there a better choice??

#9 ·
Yea. The 12468 with headers and pypes violators had no drone but was way to quiet, I did not like it. With out the 12468 it was gnarly but obnoxious with god awful drone.

I just picked my car back up from having the 12468 removed. Now I have catless headers to x pipe to Gxp axle backs. So
Far so good. Quiet in the cab but has a good sound out side of the car. No drone with the little bit that I drove it.

The 12468 really quiets things down. I don't think I'd double it up with any mufflers if I were to run it again. I'd just do a straight pipe type axle back like SLPs or solos.

#7 ·
The Magna Air, is for the X pipe only. I already have Magnaflow axle backs.
I want the best sound more than saving money, so will it work as good as Magnafow 12468?

#8 ·
Oh boy. I wasn't informed of that. I don't have the x pipe installed on my car. Mine sound nice and deep and not raspy or put put put sound like a flowmaster. Now i'm panicking!! lol. Also the Magna Air are stainless as well. The guy told me its basically the same muffler and the magnaflow just cheaper. I can try and post a audio clip on youtube perhaps to give you an idea.

#10 ·
I have a MagnaFlow 12468 that I also took off because it was too quiet for me with LT headers. I'm running a straight pipe setup that is loud with a bit of drone and I'm sure putting the MagnaFlow back on would fix that.

It's has a nice refined sound when paired up with some good axlebacks but I just wanted it louder.

#11 ·
So if i have Magnaflow axle backs 16883 and Magnaflow 12468 i should have a low deep rumble, but not real loud, and no drone???

#13 ·
It would still be louder than the stock mufflers and have some low rumble to it wouldn't it???

#16 ·
Yes the only change is the Axel Backs.

#18 ·
You mean just by adding the Magnaflow 12468 in place of the mid muffler?

#20 · (Edited)
Ok sounds great, I will be installing them this weekend. I kept reading about the drone, so I wanted to be ready to install the 12460 right away. Thanks for all the help!!

#22 · (Edited)
I installed the Magnaflow 16883 axle back this weekend. They installed perfectly and look awesome! They sound awesome at start up, low deep sound, exactly what is wanted! Not too loud driving. May be a little drone at the 1500 to 2000 rpm range, but not too bad. Over all very nice! Does anyone know what the horsepower and torque increase is?

#23 ·
Keep in mind there are two different types of drone on the GT.
The AFM changeover (more noticeable with loud exhaust)
The 1800 rpm range drone (fixed with j pipes and various other systems)

Know which one you are talking about.

Reactions: Vicsbean
#24 ·
I don't think it is the AFM because its at acceleration?? Can you describe the difference between drone and just the sound it should have??

#31 ·
Use the engineering mode to determine when the AFM is on and go from there. It's the easiest way to determine which one is driving you nutz!

#25 ·
Drone is that sound that hums through your brain in the cabin. The **** that will rattle fillings loose at a certain frequency. I would get it worse at low RPM when the engine is kind of lugging while cruising. And it's brutal.

Don't confuse it with just added volume.

#26 ·
I think its more just loud at that 1500 to 2000 rpm range more than the drone you described. It just takes a little getting use to i think. Does anyone know what the horsepower and torque increase is??

#28 ·
What maybe 10 horsepower?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.