Shorty headers - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Shorty headers

I have the exhaust set-up in my sig and love it. Any benefit at all to maybe going with shorty headers also? BTW, I don't really want more volume and want to keep the HFC's.

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:48 PM

I added Kooks Mids to my existing Corsa CB setup, and loved the results. Volume increase would be negligible I believe. However the quality of sound my car is farting out is nicer for sure. Can better hear the individual pulses of the exhaust, and got a marginal power increase. Attached is a link that will show you a little of what to expect from swapping out manifolds for mids and LTs.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Christina)
OGOC hang around
Mods: Flux Capacitor, 1000-shot spray, step bars,
a sticker, HY-KERS system, carbon fiber tires.

Personal Best: 12 parsecs @ Kessel Run
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy09gt View Post
I have the exhaust set-up in my sig and love it. Any benefit at all to maybe going with shorty headers also? BTW, I don't really want more volume and want to keep the HFC's.
Going from the stock manifolds to a shorty header, you won't see any gain in HP or TQ. It would make the exhaust and under hood noise a little louder however.

2009 G8 GT
2002 Corvette Z06

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I guess my biggest question/unknown is, would mids allow me to keep my Solo HFC's in the set-up? I love those things and they're not cheap so I don't want to have to remove them.

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:06 PM

Garage
JBA shorty headers would work and keep the Solo HFC's.

2009 G8 GT
2002 Corvette Z06
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GTLVR View Post
JBA shorty headers would work and keep the Solo HFC's.
Thanks but shorty's don't net me any more HP so I'm trying to determine if mid-length headers will fit into my setup with the HFC's still in place.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 05:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy09gt View Post
Thanks but shorty's don't net me any more HP so I'm trying to determine if mid-length headers will fit into my setup with the HFC's still in place.
No, mid-length headers won't work and still be able to keep the Solo cats. Not sure that mid-length headers are even available for the G8.

I think your best option if you are intent on keeping cats is to go with something like the SLP headers. You would get a bump in HP/TQ, have cats, and bolt to the stock exhaust. You could sell the Solo cats to get some of the cost back.

2009 G8 GT
2002 Corvette Z06
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:14 PM

Kooks have mids that will bolt to stock exhaust. They have cats. Sell your Solo cats and get the Kooks mids. Shortys do next to nothing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF -TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear cog - RCR ported heads - Lunati 219/231 113+1
Kooks 1 7/8 LT - Solo 3" CB - 3.27 diff w WaveTrac - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S - CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
Old [email protected] 1.51 60'
New ? @ ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info/replies. Since mids that will allow me to keep the Solo HFC's aren't available I think I'll just stand pat. For me, the combo of the cold air intake, the ported TB, the Solo HFC's, X-pipe and Solo axleback is quick enough and sounds perfect (IMHO).

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:06 PM

Garage
Between JBA shorties, Vararam, x-pipe, and a tune, I picked up close to 50 whp. I live in california, so longtubes were not an option.. But the car dyno'd at 352whp/362tq, while longtubes unquestionably would have got me better results, my car now has around 415 crank hp and still smogs without having to switch out headers every two years..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160726_201307.jpg (145.6 KB, 14 views)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:28 PM

I had my Solo cats for years, then added the JBA shorties. Yes there is a difference , it pulls harder in the top end. Nothing huge but worth it. If you didn't already have the Solo cats, the Kooks Mids would be a better choice.

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNuland39 View Post
Between JBA shorties, Vararam, x-pipe, and a tune, I picked up close to 50 whp. I live in california, so longtubes were not an option.. But the car dyno'd at 352whp/362tq, while longtubes unquestionably would have got me better results, my car now has around 415 crank hp and still smogs without having to switch out headers every two years..
I have the same setup as you, except I have Kooks mid-length headers. So I should have around the same amount of power as you. Nice to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page