solo 3 inch catback - toning it down - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MGMGXP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

solo 3 inch catback - toning it down

Got a killer deal on a 3" solo catback. I have a LSA, based on airflow, 3" is preferred over my true 2.5inch setup. I do have kooks mids and catless. My 2.5" was with magnaflow muffled X, vibrant resonators and VT's.

I knew the 3" would be loud outside, and it does not disappoint. Interior, the 8 has great sound insulation as I took a audio spectra, the levels are virtually the same. Out back is different story.

I have a set of oval cutouts - what mufflers have been used to tone it down? I still have my stockers, with them and the cutouts I may be fine. Am thinking to also go with VT.

Comment? Experiences?

Thank you in advance

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic) Sport /Premium
ICOM 208H
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."- unknown

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 AM

I run GT mufflers on the street and GXP mufflers on the dyno or at the track.
Strykerblue09GT likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 PM

For some reason I can't get photo book to work with this site right now for some reason. Posting pics always seems to be a PITA. Anyway go to the thread GXP axle back and scroll to the end and you can see what I made with my Solo axle back. It's not the 3" but you could do the same. If you need a big drop in sound it's not going to be enough. These dropped the volume down about the same amount as GXP mufflers but were much deeper.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight(s). I don't want to be swapping muffs often. So tonight, I mocked up installing the cutouts. I'm lowered on Eibachs, those 3 in pipes are pretty low. Since I want the cutouts in the back after the mid muffler, just not much room nor ground clearance. I started down the path of thinking dynomax VT since they worked well on the previous and I know they will make it quiet(r). Then find out the VT's are discontinued. Looking like stockers and cutouts.

ICOM 208H

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Everyone that buys the Solo 3" complains that it is too loud, including me. I ended up adding a couple small bullet race mufflers to the back between the J pipe and the tips. It helped a little but not enough. Solo should offer an option with a larger mid muffler to tone it down.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF -TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear cog - RCR ported heads - Lunati 219/231 113+1
Kooks 1 7/8 LT - Solo 3" CB - 3.27 diff w WaveTrac - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S - CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
Old [email protected] 1.51 60'
New ? @ ?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 12:08 PM

Have you looked at the dynomax ultraflow or the hooker maxflow? Seems that people like those and don't complain about drone as much as magnaflow
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:47 PM

Good info. I am just getting ready to bolt my 3" solo setup on. I had the 2.5" mach shorty with HFCs before and it wasn't too loud, but now I am going catless. Is it significantly louder than the mach shorty?

Mods: 50W 5500K HIDs, LED Fogs, Forged motor, Kooks 1 7/8 LTs, 3" Solo Exhaust, RC Cam 223/239 116+2 , RCR Tune, 150 Wet Shot, Dual Nozzle Meth kit, Triple 450 Pumper w/Vaporworx, F1A Procharger, 3200 Triple Disc Stall, CTS-V 6-pot Brembos, Weld RTS wheels, Tein Springs on Konis, BMR Sways, BMR strut/cradle bushings, G-Force 3.5" DS, 35% tint, SQ Audio Setup - RF 3Sixty.3 DSP, Alpine PDX-9V, ARC XDi1200.6, AudioFrog GB10s, GB40s, GB60s, Alpine SWR-1242D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomraven View Post
Good info. I am just getting ready to bolt my 3" solo setup on. I had the 2.5" mach shorty with HFCs before and it wasn't too loud, but now I am going catless. Is it significantly louder than the mach shorty?
this is my first solo system - cant's help on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsfan View Post
Have you looked at the dynomax ultraflow or the hooker maxflow? Seems that people like those and don't complain about drone as much as magnaflow
You got me. I have hanging in the garage: pair of dynomax ultraflos, dynomax VT's, (both 2.5"), factory GT muffs and factory GT muff that have been modded with a controllable bypass pipe (ie NPP).

Mocked up a factory muff tonight. The inlet is about 2" off (past) the slip-fit 3" midpipe. Fitting would be tight, I'm going to order up a couple 3"id 90's to give it a whirl. As I have time , I'll post in this thread a few vids and spectral charts. The 3" is louder and not as deep as my previous 2.5" system. I would like it deeper, no straight section long enough in the midpipe to put a set.

Here is data comparing my 2.5 to the 3" system:
Interior, door closed
2.5in:

3in interior:

2.5in 5 feet of rear bumper:

3" 5 feet off rear bumper:

ICOM 208H

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by JCMG8; 02-21-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 PM

Wow you have more muffler setups than I do lol! Do you have any room to add long bullet/glass pack type mufflers behind the solo mid muffler? In my experience a straight through small case muffler will tone things a bit and keep the deep tone.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:03 PM

Sorry to interrupt thread , but...... I have Long tubes 1 7/8th. going into welded on high flow cats, exit to tips with no rear mufflers.

My question is, if I go 3" from collector straight through ( elimination mid & resonators ) back to 2.5 rear tips, will I be louder, lower, raspier, or no change.

Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My 2009 - With the usual suspects. Incl. - Pat G.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsfan View Post
Wow you have more muffler setups than I do lol! Do you have any room to add long bullet/glass pack type mufflers behind the solo mid muffler? In my experience a straight through small case muffler will tone things a bit and keep the deep tone.
That was my first thought, the bends on the solo there is not enough straight length. I suspect you could make one fit with some fab - been down that path and prefer to keep the mids one piece for now. Here are images:

ICOM 208H

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:45 PM

Yeah if you got the room in the axle back sections to add mufflers of your choice prob will be easiest option
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Kinda spendy but check out Carven mufflers
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Been pondering. Mocked the cutouts. Should be ok ground clearance and not the obvious from the back -I did have the painted black wrinkle paint a while ago. have 3" elbows now. Thinking the stockers will go on.

BTW, my son was over, had to move the 8 from the garage, he was behind it on the cold start - once fired, he asked what had changed, now sounded like a cigarette boat (thru hull exhaust). Interesting as I loved the sound of those boats....

ICOM 208H

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Spent a few more minute on it tonight. Looks like the ready option will be the VT's. The stockers, when mounted, are too long and would require significant fab work on the inlet side -may be a summer project.

ICOM 208H

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMG8 View Post
Spent a few more minute on it tonight. Looks like the ready option will be the VT's. The stockers, when mounted, are too long and would require significant fab work on the inlet side -may be a summer project.
Hmm. Seems a 3" inlet is growing on a stocker. Better polish my shoes.

ICOM 208H

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Figured I'd follow up.

Spent some time tuning the solos. Sound recording at multiple RPM and pedal positions, then used Audacity for spectral analysis along with my ears to get the solos tuned. I also fabbed up a set of Gibson CFT superflows in an attempt to tone it down. The CFT's provided a deeper voice, you could tell the difference between the two sets. The CFT's had little drone, - more than the tuned solos, less than the out of tune solos. Both systems received compliments, I think the CFT got more as they were deeper sounding.

In the end, I went back to stock GT mufflers, modified for the 3in slip fit inlet. These are almost as quiet as when the car was new, blower whine is clear now. To have the loud option, a set of QTP oval cutouts are on the GT muffler inlet pipes. Hopefully my days are done playing with exhaust for a while.

ICOM 208H

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page