Modifying Stock GT catalysts - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Tail o'the Dragon Action!

Modifying Stock GT catalysts

I seem to remember a thread about removing the built-in restriction in the GT catalysts. I have searched the Board 9 ways from Sunday and have not found a thing. Anyone know what I am talking about? Seems to me that it involved cutting out the existing downpipe and flex joint, then replacing with straight pipe. Am I crazy?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tail of the Dragon-car's not lowered, just leanin'
Pat
ASE Certified Master Tech, over 40 years
2009 G8 GT
Currently 234,000 trouble-free miles
Pacific Slate Metallic ( who came up with that name?)
1 of 1063 GTs this color
Premium Package, Sunroof and All-Seasons, no Sport
ClearMask, BMR rear subrame mounts and Advanced 2-way Remote, self installed
KONI Sports and Raybestos Performance Ceramic pads
GXP Catalysts
Dead stock otherwise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Naturally as-pirated

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM09 View Post
I seem to remember a thread about removing the built-in restriction in the GT catalysts. I have searched the Board 9 ways from Sunday and have not found a thing. Anyone know what I am talking about? Seems to me that it involved cutting out the existing downpipe and flex joint, then replacing with straight pipe. Am I crazy?

I did some cutting and welding a few years back, basically the torque ring near the flange is supposed to be there, the secondary pipe to the cat is correct diameter near stock tune, but the angle into the cat substrate is accute.
So if you want to retain the stock Euro 4 ceramic cat there needs to be a 90° bend to flow horizontally into the substrate.
As background I got rid of the flex joint, torque ring, upped the secondary pipe from flange to cat to 3”, back down to 2.5” then 2”. Swapped the cats for the HSV version, replaced the entry with 2”, swapped headers for HSV tri-y mid length.
Then came up with a solution that did work! HSV mid throw tri-y primaries, 2.5” mandrel secondaries to 200 cpsi barrel cats positioned as far back as possible.
This was all about HP and rpm - midrange to top.
Have pics and vid avail.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Board Lurker

Member is JCMG8. He has photos and posted them a few places on here where he essentially cut out the flex and tried to improve the inlet diameter all the way to the cat.
I can't find his original post, and all the more recent ones show up in a google image search but photo****it has turned all of these threads into advertisements for their $400 P500 service so they're all worthless anyway.
Maybe JCMG8 can repost some here to answer your question.

Also if you get a few people contacting you with those GXP cats, let me know...

SOLD - thanks for the good times here!
2008 GT PBM onyx/red CLOTH

No roof, no premium, no sport
08/28/2012 - 03/11/2019

Matched 18" GT spare/tool kit | Trunk liner | Tints 35% fronts/5% strip/5% rears | CHMSL flasher | Autodim mirror | WAMS Ataris | Costar Bluestar | red leather shift knob | Cortex | Mobil1 & PF63 | improved stock intake | UPR catch can | PS res relocate | HSRK | 6L80E deep pan/filter/Lokar dipstick | Heater hose mod | Sunroof console | Full GXP mid/AB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page