Solo axle back with the rest of the car stock other than CAI - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Solo axle back with the rest of the car stock other than CAI

My car now is fairly stock, only an AFE CAI and a Flowmaster axle back. I'll go ahead and say that I hate Flowmasters. Like really hate them. In my younger days I put them on a couple of my trucks and they drone even without being in a G8. Some people might not care, but I hate it and my wife won't even ride in the car it bothers her so much. The car had them on it when I bought it, so that's what I've got.

I need to replace it, but I really don't want to go back to stock axle back. I need something that won't drone and won't kill ears when driving, even under light load. The Flows just drone at light load going up a hill. My car is going to stay mostly stock, most I'll ever do is put a small cam in it if I delete the AFM system. I have a built 98 Trans Am to have fun and go faster in, so this is just my fun daily driver and I don't need to do tons of mods.

I was thinking about the Solo because people say it doesn't drone and is relatively quiet unless you are on it, but I am having a hard time searching through the forums finding people that have it on a car with no other exhaust mods. I mean, I am going to keep it all stock, everything from the manifolds back to the axle back. How loud is this thing going to be with them? Any stock people out there running a Solo axle back? I plan on tuning out the AFM in a couple weeks.

1998 Pontiac Trans Am - 6.0L/T56 swap and some other goodies
2008 Pontiac G8 GT - mostly stock, daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:00 PM

Have a Rotofab and Super Chips tune. I like it, not real loud but aggressive. Even had a "Ford guy" technician say that he liked the way it sounded.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:43 PM

I have RotoFab, Cortex, Solos, and otherwise stock exhaust. I do get a little drone between 55 and 60 mph, in 6th gear, other than that, they're great. The key is turning off DOD. I test drove a G8 that was totally stock except for Solo Axlebacks, and really didn't like the noise from the 4-cyl mode. It wasn't so much a drone, as it was a vibration. Would quickly get annoying.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So how bad is the noise inside the cabin under normal non-spirited driving? The DOD isn't going to be a problem, it'll be tuned out.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoch View Post
So how bad is the noise inside the cabin under normal non-spirited driving? The DOD isn't going to be a problem, it'll be tuned out.
My wife tolerates driving it. Does that help? lol

They're not really as loud as you'd think given they're basically straight pipes for that section of exhaust. I daily my car, and it's perfectly fine to just run errands in. I very occasionally get annoyed with it, if I'm stuck going 55-ish, and it's in that drone area. But it's not enough for me to get rid of them.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, found a set of stock GT mufflers so bought those. Probably safest bet for a dedicated DD.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 PM

Stock mufflers are a fine choice for a stock car and daily driver. No aggressive sound, but no drone. I bought a set of GXP mufflers and there is a slightly deeper tone, but nothing aggressive. No one would probably even know they were there on my mostly stock car. I like it for my daily driver.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page