QTP cutout install - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

QTP cutout install

Guys I am a newbie but have done a lot of reading on the cutouts but all the pics of installs are gone because of the photobucket thing. Anyway does anybody have pics of install that they would care to share? Where did you run the wiring and mount your switch, things of that nature. Thanks.

2009 G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:08 PM

Yeah, me want too.

2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
Procharger D1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:41 PM

Garage
I have the QTPs with turndowns and wireless remote, had them on just about a year now. Are you looking for pics of where they're at on the exhaust? After I had them put on the exhaust(between long tube headers and mid muffler), I wrapped the wiring in heat-protective tape and routed it up through the shifter boot in the center console. I think I went behind some heat shielding too somewhere? From what I recall, there were 4 bolts to remove from under the car and then just the trim around the center console. I just used the 12v outlet inside the console armrest for power, and tucked the remote receiver in there too. It's all hidden nicely.

I didn't have a lot of room for the muffler shop to install these where I wanted without reducing my ground clearance there some, that's my only gripe with them. This thread was very helpful for me with everything start to finish.

https://www.g8board.com/forums/116-ex...ts-thread.html

If you guys want, I could get underneath the car sometime soon for some pictures of the wiring.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'09 WH G8 GT

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald1 View Post
I have the QTPs with turndowns and wireless remote, had them on just about a year now. Are you looking for pics of where they're at on the exhaust? After I had them put on the exhaust(between long tube headers and mid muffler), I wrapped the wiring in heat-protective tape and routed it up through the shifter boot in the center console. I think I went behind some heat shielding too somewhere? From what I recall, there were 4 bolts to remove from under the car and then just the trim around the center console. I just used the 12v outlet inside the console armrest for power, and tucked the remote receiver in there too. It's all hidden nicely.

I didn't have a lot of room for the muffler shop to install these where I wanted without reducing my ground clearance there some, that's my only gripe with them. This thread was very helpful for me with everything start to finish.

If you guys want, I could get underneath the car sometime soon for some pictures of the wiring.

That would be awesome when you get a chance. Thanks.

2009 G8 GT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
My cutouts are right at the bend in the center, basically straight down from the headers. I used zip ties to hold the wires against the motors themselves and away from the exhaust (I have very little clearance with where they are mounted), then tucked them back up behind the center tunnel heat shield. Both wires come up into the cabin through my shifter boot (not sure if this is possible on the autos) then into the center console where I velcro'd the switch to the front driver's side corner. Little over 2 years with them, no issues.

Edit: Oh and as you can see in the pictures I also added titanium wrap on the sections next to the cutout motors. Exhaust shop recommended it to help the motors last longer.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
-Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder, 3.91 w/ TrueTrac
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas and pics so far exactly what I had in mind.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald1 View Post

Were you able to get any pics of your wiring from underneath?

2009 G8 GT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittybuilt View Post
Were you able to get any pics of your wiring from underneath?
Yessir, here's how mine looks. Bear in mind I did this with only the front end on ramps, so by the car's midsection there's little room to move around and get good angles to show this, so these photos won't be winning any awards and you may need to tilt your head in some cases haha. I had both ends high up on jack stands when I hooked them up, I remember, much easier.

I had the muffler shop weld the mounts so that the cutout motors would "tuck" up more out of the way in case any road debris ever comes along.

You can see in one of these where the wire from each driver and psgr sides feed up through the rubber boot around the shifter. Feeding the wires through there with 2 people would make it very easy, but as it was I did it myself with only minor aggravation. The wires were plenty long, I have the excess tucked in underneath the console trim in the interior.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'09 WH G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page