Stealth Mode - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Stealth Mode

Okay who goes backwards with their mods ?
I did... best mod I've ever done.
Let me explain... hated the attention the Stainless Steel Corsa mufflers were giving while driving the car, have abunch of engine mods and the exhaust was ummm... kinda Nascar loud when I was WOT ! Some people may like that but I gotta tell you the surprise mode is way more fun. LOL

Put the stock G8 GT mufflers back on and had them fitted so that I could swap out the Corsa mufflers if I or the next owner ever felt the need. Stock G8 GT mufflers are not cheap at the dealers so if you have kept yours and they are in great shape they are worth some money.

Cheer!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BMR bushings, Front and Rear BMR Sway Bars, Koni Struts, H&R Springs, KooKs LT headers HF Cats, Roto CAI, Ace DoD delete, Brembo brakes, Rick Crawford Lunati cam, 3:27 rear differential, Patrick G tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:45 AM

This is something I have been debating myself. I like the quiet sleeper mode better but there are times were I would like something more aggressive. I have been looking a lot into the Bi modal mufflers. Trying to find something that would fit and is adjustable.

1978 Trans AM
2009 G8 GT
2010 Genesis Track Edition
2005 GTO (Sold but not forgotten)
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I like everything about the silence, suits my driving style (under the radar).... The only thing I had to get use to was not hearing the motor through the exhaust using manual mode. I'm shifting mostly on visual rather than audio queues now... took some adjusting but learned quick.
That being said you can still tell the car has something going on even with the quiet mufflers... just have to know what your listening for

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BMR bushings, Front and Rear BMR Sway Bars, Koni Struts, H&R Springs, KooKs LT headers HF Cats, Roto CAI, Ace DoD delete, Brembo brakes, Rick Crawford Lunati cam, 3:27 rear differential, Patrick G tune

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Garage
I know what ya mean, but I still love the growl. The thing is, it is so loud that everybody knows who's making the noise. The growl through the back is a rumble on the side of the car. People seem to behave differently when I'm driving the G8 versus the old beater. They're more brazen and seem like they figure they need to prove something or challenge me....

Other times, normal folks think I'm trying to be a madman when I'm giving it normal throttle. If I floor it.... well, they all hate me... Still... I like it so I won't be changing it myself any time soon....

But you're right.... it gives you that feeling of remorse for all of the ear drums you've blown out....

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Jova007200;3650689]. People seem to behave differently when I'm driving the G8 versus the old beater. They're more brazen and seem like they figure they need to prove something or challenge me....

Other times, normal folks think I'm trying to be a madman when I'm giving it normal throttle.

[QUOTE]

Your absolutely right people do treat you differently when the cars been mod'ed ... I'm actually tired of all those VW's, Ford focus and Subaru's constantly challenging, gets tiring after a while. I've got a really stock looking car unless you know what your looking for ... Brembo brakes. lowered with a deeper than usual exhaust which you can see 2 1/2 pipes hanging from behind. To the average joe blow i get lost in a crowd of cars on the road... get looks from all the other guys but it's more of a quizzical look, hmmm... does that guy wanna race or is that just some old guy cruising around? hehe LOVE IT !
hexagod likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:09 PM

Finally someone gets it. Figures it's a polite Canadian. GT mufflers FTW.
GXP25 likes this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrider View Post

Your absolutely right people do treat you differently when the cars been mod'ed ... I'm actually tired of all those VW's, Ford focus and Subaru's constantly challenging, gets tiring after a while. I've got a really stock looking car unless you know what your looking for ... Brembo brakes. lowered with a deeper than usual exhaust which you can see 2 1/2 pipes hanging from behind. To the average joe blow i get lost in a crowd of cars on the road... get looks from all the other guys but it's more of a quizzical look, hmmm... does that guy wanna race or is that just some old guy cruising around? hehe LOVE IT ! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/driving.gif[/IMG]
I remember when I told one of the guys I work with that I was going to have a sleeper car. Of course, I think it was before I decided to put the solos on it.

When I drove up, he said "I thought you were going to have a sleeper car."

I hadn't anything witty to say.....

I suppose I'll eventually get sick of it, but for now I'm all smiles.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jova007200; 07-18-2018 at 09:18 PM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:40 AM

Always been a fan of the sleeper idea. Back in the day of fox body Mustangs, we had stroker motors, hidden nitrous kits, and quiet exhaust. Always fun to see people's reactions running fast with a basic looking (and relatively quiet) car. Plus the less police attention the better in my opinion.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
Finally someone gets it. Figures it's a polite Canadian. GT mufflers FTW.

hold on... Im sorry, I take offence to that eh? : )

FYI: getting the Stock Mufflers fitted on to the Corsa Exhaust system and having it so that I could swap them out at will was done by a stainless steel exhaust "artist" here in Canada... I would strongly recommend anyone go see Jamie at Heemskerk's Exhaust in Wainfleet for beautiful stainless custom exhaust if your close by.

... backbacon is ready and a two four to wash it down. Cheers!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 AM

the corsa catback is probably the quietest aftermarket catback i've ever bought... so I'm not sure where you're coming from here. In all honesty the reason it's so expensive but desirable is because unless you're driving like a douche you can hardly tell it's a muscle car. But yes, at WOT it is loud... I kinda thought that was the point. How often do you really go WOT anyhow lol.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
the corsa catback is probably the quietest aftermarket catback i've ever bought... so I'm not sure where you're coming from here. In all honesty the reason it's so expensive but desirable is because unless you're driving like a douche you can hardly tell it's a muscle car. But yes, at WOT it is loud... I kinda thought that was the point. How often do you really go WOT anyhow lol.
It's a whole different ballgame when you have a cam and longtube headers.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
LT headers, HF catalytic converters, top end of the engine done and full sport Corsa Exhaust front to back makes for a loud car period... and for the record I drive with intensity!

WOT ... ummm every freaking day fella, you got it your gonna use it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
It's a whole different ballgame when you have a cam and longtube headers.
Quote:

See above....

Seriously, once you remove the factory manifolds and converters you've multiplied your sound level considerably. I can't stand inside without feeling the ground shake after I remote start it sometimes. (Subsequently, I don't really do that anymore). I don't mean earthquake, I just mean I can feel the vibrations.

I've rolled the windows down to listen to it and when I'm in the midst of a lot of cars pulling away from a light on a left turn, and the growl can be heard under normal throttle and it isn't a raspy growl.

Not everybody wants that... Of course, I love it... hehe

'Murica...! LOL (Seriously.... I don't really say that... I'm not even a "Good O'le Boy")

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 PM

call me confused then. Ya'll putting in long tubes and bigger cams into a v8 and want it to be quiet? You want something stealth buy a tesla or an i8.

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
call me confused then. Ya'll putting in long tubes and bigger cams into a v8 and want it to be quiet? You want something stealth buy a tesla or an i8.
What's not to get?
I have a car that will do everything it did before minus the 4hp for going stock mufflers ( I have plenty of HP to spare ) and the noise.... pretty straight forward to me.
Some like it loud some don't ... I'm now in the , I like it stealth but fawking fast group.

Electric? ... Blasphemy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by mtbrider; 07-19-2018 at 12:34 PM.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 PM

you must be in this weird niche group man. You want to go fast but not loud, ok I get that. But electric is blasphemy? Not many petrol heads fall into that group i dont think.

bigger, louder, faster

makes my pee pee go boing, boing, boing

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
I have Kooks Longtubes headers and Solo unbalanced shorty Catback and still think my car is too quiet...I just can't wait for a cam swap.

You are indeed part of a special breed
Belo likes this.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 PM

Sound used to be a byproduct of power. It is now possible to have high performance AND low levels of NVH. My build was modeled after cars like the S8, S63/65, 760iL, and now the P100d. A large, quiet, comfortable car that makes a lot of power. Like an executive jet. Gulfstream goes to great lengths to reduce cabin noise but still provide high levels of power and range. I don't have a small penis to compensate for. I let my timeslips do the talking, not my exhaust.
tchr49 and GXP25 like this.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:49 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
Quote:
Sound used to be a byproduct of power. It is now possible to have high performance AND low levels of NVH. My build was modeled after cars like the S8, S63/65, 760iL, and now the P100d. A large, quiet, comfortable car that makes a lot of power. Like an executive jet. Gulfstream goes to great lengths to reduce cabin noise but still provide high levels of power and range. I don't have a small penis to compensate for. I let my timeslips do the talking, not my exhaust.
Interesting how no one actually attacked your preferences and and then your turn the argument to the size of your manlihood. Nobody cares, except for your woman, if you have one.

All we were saying is that most V8 car enthusiasts actually enjoy the sound of it. It goes with the overall experience. The GT came dead quiet and there is nothing wrong with opening the exhaust up. We all know sound has nothing to do with how much horsepower you put down.

Have a cold one

Cheers

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 PM

I never said I was attacked, and the penis comment was for Belo. Putting a cat back on a V8 is no different than putting a fart can on a Honda; it just makes more noise but doesn't really go any faster. Do mods that increase performance and the sound will come. I find noisy cars annoying, but if they run 9's, I get it. The world doesn't need more noisy 12 second cars.
Cold ones coming tomorrow night.
GXP25 and mtbrider like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page