Solo axleback install failure - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Baker85
  • 1 Post By GOINGSOLO2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Solo axleback install failure

My solo axleback came a few days ago and I was eager all week to install it. Today I finally got some free time, and since reading about installs on here I figured it would be a breeze and I would be done in under an hour. Well, drivers side went flawless, about 15 minutes off and on. Passengers side on the other hand... Someone who owned this car before me absolutely destroyed 1 of the bolts, and put some kind of putty all around the gap where the two pieces come together. I spent hours doing everything possible I could think of using the tools I own to get this bolt off. Still no luck. I finally scraped the putty off seemed JB weld. But the bolt had nothing to grab onto, and would not come loose in any way. I am saying this to tell people THINK AHEAD. What might be a solution at the time will be headaches in the future. Planning to take it in to a shop tomorrow. What was supposed to end a great day, ended in disappointment.

Spectre CAI
Superchips tune
SOLO axleback
X pipe
First 888 #85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:35 AM
every village has one

Bad break, know how that goes.
There are some people,who just shouldn’t work on cars.
Hope it turns out OK.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 AM

A muffler shop should be able to remove the bolt with relative ease and install the passenger's side axle-back. Discovering things people do to "fix" situations i.e. jury rig never ceases to amaze. The head of the bolt could have broken off especially if there is an accumulation of rust on the threads.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Site Sponsor

Garage
Bummer, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the exhaust twice as much once its all done. If it's not to late try to get a gator grip socket. They look cheesy but they work on stripped bolts. Also, the Husky sockets are pretty good too. They have a weird new toothed grip design.

We are your one stop shop for Holden Performance. We have the best deals on all the hottest parts such as Corsa, ARH, Kooks, SW, Roto-Fab Solo Performance and much more with installation and tuning available. When you're ready to order pm/call us for your G8Board discount. Our pricing and service is second to none.
224-63-JUICE (224-635-8423) OR [email protected]

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Site Sponsor

Sorry to hear about the install issue...sometimes it's a lot of work to clean up other people's shortcuts. We see it all of the time. Good luck and let us know how you like it once it's installed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 PM

Garage
When I installed my Solo axle back I had issues too. The first bolt I tried to remove was so rusty the head snapped off. After that I used a torch to heat the rest of the bolts before I tried turning them and they all came out. Once the exhaust was out of the way, there was enough of the broken bolt sticking out that I was able to get vise grips on it. With more heat from the torch I was able to slowly work the broken piece out.

Gotta love living in the rust belt.

You may be able to do something similar if you remove the mangled bolt head and get your muffler out of the way.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by di11avou View Post
When I installed my Solo axle back I had issues too. The first bolt I tried to remove was so rusty the head snapped off. After that I used a torch to heat the rest of the bolts before I tried turning them and they all came out. Once the exhaust was out of the way, there was enough of the broken bolt sticking out that I was able to get vise grips on it. With more heat from the torch I was able to slowly work the broken piece out.

Gotta love living in the rust belt.

You may be able to do something similar if you remove the mangled bolt head and get your muffler out of the way.
Well the other of the bolts on that side did exactly that too, broke the head off and about half the length just from a socket wrench. The rest is still sticking out. Funny thing is this car was originally from california, made its way to indiana where it was garage stored. Now I have it in MS. Theres really not much rust on it at all so I do not understand what was going on that passenger side bolts/gasket because it looks like it spent 10 winters driving on salt but only around that little area.. must have been some exhaust leak some home mechanic tried to fix and failed.

Spectre CAI
Superchips tune
SOLO axleback
X pipe
First 888 #85
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO2 View Post
Sorry to hear about the install issue...sometimes it's a lot of work to clean up other people's shortcuts. We see it all of the time. Good luck and let us know how you like it once it's installed.
Took it to a shop today, they worked their magic and got it cleaned up for quite cheap. Put the axleback on directly after that and can say so far that i'm loving it. Love to see the sparkling tips and listen to the big engine rumble!
GOINGSOLO2 and ekt8750 like this.

Spectre CAI
Superchips tune
SOLO axleback
X pipe
First 888 #85
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker85 View Post
Took it to a shop today, they worked their magic and got it cleaned up for quite cheap. Put the axleback on directly after that and can say so far that i'm loving it. Love to see the sparkling tips and listen to the big engine rumble!
Awesome to hear! Welcome to the Solo family!!

Steve
Baker85 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Good deal and enjoy the new setup. Hopefully, this is the extent of homemade "fixes" performed on the vehicle.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Yeah, he coulda made your life a lot easier and just used a coat hanger….
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM

Hah. Been there, doing that now on the daily driver since one of the old hangers doesn't extend down far enough for the replacement exhaust. Spare coat hanger and a few minutes later... problem solved. Good times

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page