Solo Axle Back Question - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

1Likes
  • 1 Post By JCMG8

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Solo Axle Back Question

So I just finished most of my modifications on my 09 G8 BTR stage 3 cam Manzo long tube headers. As far as the rest of the exhaust I just have an x pipe feeding some solo axle backs. So no Mufflers or cats and this thing is Extremely Loud sounds great at idle but has a weird cackley raspy sound around 2200 RPM. the solos are keeping the Drone away but it's just too loud any recommendations on maybe some resonators or something to put in line to just quiet at some what I would like it fairly loud but not to this extent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Replace the X-pipe with a Tru-X muffler from Magnaflow. It's basically a resonated X-pipe, and will cancel out the rasp.

PM me if you're interested in buying a brand new one at a cheaper price. I have one I bought, but never used. Still in the box.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Actually I had one of those at first and it was causing a restriction in the eyes of my tuner and I didn't care at all for the way the exhaust sounded

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_s View Post
Actually I had one of those at first and it was causing a restriction in the eyes of my tuner and I didn't care at all for the way the exhaust sounded
OK. Fair enough. Although, I can't see it being much of a restriction.

Aside from that, you just need to try another axle back. Something with a muffler like Magnaflow, Kooks, or have the Solos modified to add a muffler of some sort.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Yes adding a muffler to my solos is an option. I've been trying to find something that would work.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I think solo offers the only axle backs without drone since you can't just buy the Corsa axle back
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:05 PM

I had the same problem. My car came with Kooks headers, 3" catted midpipe and Solo axle backs. At idle and just tapping on the gas sounded like a dragster. It was great, but just too loud. I ended up putting GXP mufflers. It's much quieter, think too quiet now but it retained the nice chop sound from the cams. I might get Kooks axle backs down the road.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by og_styles View Post
I had the same problem. My car came with Kooks headers, 3" catted midpipe and Solo axle backs. At idle and just tapping on the gas sounded like a dragster. It was great, but just too loud. I ended up putting GXP mufflers. It's much quieter, think too quiet now but it retained the nice chop sound from the cams. I might get Kooks axle backs down the road.
Same setup I had for about half a day. Sounded awesome, but WAY too loud. I'm currently running stock GT mufflers because I had them. Still debating on cutouts... or different axleback... or XForce catback... not sure yet.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
Same setup I had for about half a day. Sounded awesome, but WAY too loud. I'm currently running stock GT mufflers because I had them. Still debating on cutouts... or different axleback... or XForce catback... not sure yet.
Yeah it was. People were just staring me down, like what the hell lol. I've been trying to find something similar as far as the tip size goes as well. The Solos were 3.5" each. The closest to looking and sounding good were the Looks. Does Xforce have axle backs or no?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by og_styles View Post
Yeah it was. People were just staring me down, like what the hell lol. I've been trying to find something similar as far as the tip size goes as well. The Solos were 3.5" each. The closest to looking and sounding good were the Looks. Does Xforce have axle backs or no?
No unfortunately. Only full catbacks and headers. If they would sell just the Varex axle backs, I'm sure they'd sell like crazy.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:21 PM

Garage
See post # 20 in this thread: https://www.g8board.com/.../281111-i...w-feeling.html

2009 G8 GXP #808 of 1829, #30 of 61 in this configuration: SRM, 6MT, Roof

Rotofab CAI, Solo HFC, Borla Catback, Livernois ECM tune, Holley Coil Covers, Heater Hose Relocation, rear Brembos.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM6 View Post
Link not working.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:27 PM

Garage
Sorry, try this: https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...w-feeling.html

2009 G8 GXP #808 of 1829, #30 of 61 in this configuration: SRM, 6MT, Roof

Rotofab CAI, Solo HFC, Borla Catback, Livernois ECM tune, Holley Coil Covers, Heater Hose Relocation, rear Brembos.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:13 PM

As someone who has been thru two midpipes, two muffled x pipes, 4 resonators., 5 sets of mufflers - if I was to do all over again, get a set of QTP oval cutouts installed in front of stock mufflers. With cutouts open and muffled xpipe, it sounds great. Close them and listen to Sinatra. Or pick somewhere in between.

Yes, it's that simple. cutout.
ebg8gt likes this.

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic) Sport /Premium
ICOM 208H
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."- unknown

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by JCMG8; 10-16-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page