Need V6 G8 Exhaust advice - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Question Need V6 G8 Exhaust advice

Hello G8 World!

I have a 09 V6 G8, now it's time to replace the exhaust due to small holes in the resonators (I can feel power loss and it's becoming noisey). I am not sure which direction to go in to replace the exhaust system, i've seen a few catback exhausts on various sites.. Looks like $800.00 to $1500 range. Any advice on which to buy or what I should do?

Thanks!

PONTIAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:05 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
I would simply replace the resonators and call it a day. You could always go to Solo Performance in Kenmore NY and get a custom solution depending on what your plans are with the vehicle.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:04 PM

^^^^Agreed.
My plan for my V6 if/when I need exhaust work.
Owners up here have gone to straight pipes and Solo axle backs on they're V6's with varying results.
Some sound better than others but not a sound I'm looking for.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:49 PM

I have a V6 and plan to put a Magnaflow True X muffler to replace the stock mid mufflers and resonators and a Solo V8 axle back exhaust. This was recommended to me by Joe LaBruzza from G8Only.

I already bought the Magnaflow so I will weld that in next week and see what the difference is with the stock mufflers. I haven't bought the Solo axle back yet and I'm still up in the air about that. There are so many out there to choose from. I'll base my decision on which one to get once I have the mid section done.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know the resonator size for the V6 G8?

PONTIAC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Rockinlespaul anyway you could post a sound clip with the X-pipe in by itself and then the mufflers if you get them? I have been on the fence about it, but I was looking at the same setup.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinlespaul View Post
I have a V6 and plan to put a Magnaflow True X muffler to replace the stock mid mufflers and resonators and a Solo V8 axle back exhaust. This was recommended to me by Joe LaBruzza from G8Only.

I already bought the Magnaflow so I will weld that in next week and see what the difference is with the stock mufflers. I haven't bought the Solo axle back yet and I'm still up in the air about that. There are so many out there to choose from. I'll base my decision on which one to get once I have the mid section done.
rockinlespaul anyway you could post a video clip of the X-pipe by itself and then the mufflers if you do get them? I was looking at the same setup just up in the air about it still. Thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM

Garage
having just recently put exhaust on my v6 raptor hoping to get a nicer exhaust note, id say just fix the resonators. what a waste of money that was.

PM me if you have a trunk liner for sale!
Memphis area
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:24 PM

I actually ended up putting in a Magnaflow axle back in instead of the Solo and I did that first because I went into work on my day off and didn't want to be there long but I was dying to hear the difference lol.

The difference was huge and it sounded great! Once we had it in(a co-worker helped me), my buddy was like..."let's get that X pipe in!". So we did it. It worked out perfectly. Cut the old mid muffler off and had about a inch off pipe to work with on both ends. Welded in the X pipe, dropped the lift and started the car up, check for leaks, etc.

I did notice the X pipe/muffler actually made it a little quieter, but it sounded better out the back end. I've tried to get recordings with my phone but they all sounded like **** and nothing like what it sounds like in person. I am very happy with it and I think it sounds great. Very tolerable drone at highway speeds. Nothing annoying at all.

One quick update.... after a week, I got a cel. This happened the same day I installed a new catch can from Mace so I'm not sure who the culprit is yet. I scanned it and it had a few codes mainly co2 and running lean. I'll know more when I go back in to the shop Monday. It was the end of the day and I had to get out of there but it wasn't anything to worry about immediately so I cleared the codes and took her home. Like I said, not sure if it has to do with the exhaust or catch can install. Might have a vacuum leak, etc. I'll know more soon and report back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190410_151026_1555812934485.jpg (131.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190410_150943_1555812969035.jpg (130.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190410_150853_1555813027433.jpg (137.2 KB, 7 views)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I went to Mufflerman/Solo Performance in Kenmore, NY. I went for a Mach Balance Catback Exhaust set up, It looks and sounds awesome and fixed all my problems. Greatly recommended for sure!

PONTIAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page