Header Gaskets - Graphite Remflex - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Header Gaskets - Graphite Remflex

Do any of you have any experience with the Remflex 2008 Graphite header gaskets? I have a leak on the driver's side (smoke test verified) and I'm going to have to replace the gasket.

I read that the graphite gaskets are good for sealing when imperfections may exist. The surface was smooth when I installed the headers, but maybe there were some marks that I failed to detect.

Curious if anyone has used these...

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:31 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
According to forums members of the NASIOC, they suck, but that was back in 2007.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1408008

Just get gaskets from Kooks? How long ago did you install them?

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More than a year now. Almost 2. I used OEM gaskets at the time.

I looked at some reviews on Summit and Amazon and they didn't seem to have any negatives. Some suggested that careful handling is required. I elected not to wait until I got a response (I got impatient ), so I'll go ahead and post the results up here when it comes to doing a "re-smoke test."

Graphite doesn't take kindly to pinching, so maybe they're difficult to handle and install.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
OEM is the way to go. Maybe something wasn't right the first time you used them? I know OEM was way better than the gaskets kooks gave me.
tchr49 likes this.

Current: 2009.5 SBM G8 GT, Premium Package, Sunroof, Pat G. ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI, LS7/LS3 MAF, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach-Shorty Balanced Catback, SOLO 3.5" Tips, 19" Sport Package Wheels, GXP Steering Wheel, GXP Diffuser, Neondials, VG Sharkfin II, Debadged (Except Arrowheads), Hood-Vent Mod, Lower Grille Mod

Next: RCR Modified Intake Manifold, RCR Ported TB, Powerbond UDP, Suspension Upgrades

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You know, I thought about it some and now I'm not sure.

The smoke was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from. Though, it looked like it was coming from the flange weld itself.... meaning it may not be the gasket, but may actually be a crack in the internal port weld.... meaning the gasket isn't actually leaking....

Of course, it might have just LOOKED like it was coming from there.... I was thinking gasket because it was a more obvious solution and I could't be certain that it was coming from that crack versus underneath where it could be a gasket leak...

I guess I can replace the gaskets and re-test to see what happens if inspecting the weld turns up nothing..... If it's cracked.... well, I'm gonna be a bit pissed off....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jova007200; 04-04-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, on that note I went out and took a few photos. This one shows the soot that somehow I didn't notice before.

It's in multiple spots.... The smoke only came out on the exhaust at cylinder #3. However, it is on at least 3 spots.

Maybe I'm a little cloudy in the memory department, but the flanges are welded to seal the ports on the inside aren't they?...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12345_1554434990774.jpg (104.9 KB, 33 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
So, on that note I went out and took a few photos. This one shows the soot that somehow I didn't notice before.

It's in multiple spots.... The smoke only came out on the exhaust at cylinder #3. However, it is on at least 3 spots.

Maybe I'm a little cloudy in the memory department, but the flanges are welded to seal the ports on the inside aren't they?...
That photo doesn't make the manufacturing look very promising. Hopefully it is effectively sealed on the inside. But it is hard to see how it would be. The flange has to be machined flat where it fits to the head. It would seem that the machining would have to be the last step in manufacturing and might compromise a weld on the machined side.

Rob - Seeking a white G8 GT.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
They're Kooks... well known and respected; which makes it a bit maddening that 4 separate pipes have this same mark. One of them in multiple spots.

Maybe I bottomed out, but I didn't think the mids went low enough for a stock height car to bottom on them when I don't go barreling over speed bumps. So I'm not really convinced that this is because of anything like that.

Especially since the lean 1 discrepancy existed fresh from the tune. (Leaner)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Hmmm, that certainly looks like the weld is leaking, not the gasket. And yes, they are/should be welded fully on the inside to seal. It actually looks like that primary has a small dent in it. Maybe that caused the weld to not be quite perfect. Hard to say though.

I'd start by contacting Kooks to see if they'll do anything. If they won't I can't imagine it would cost much to have someone hit it with a tig welder.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
Hmmm, that certainly looks like the weld is leaking, not the gasket. And yes, they are/should be welded fully on the inside to seal. It actually looks like that primary has a small dent in it. Maybe that caused the weld to not be quite perfect. Hard to say though.

I'd start by contacting Kooks to see if they'll do anything. If they won't I can't imagine it would cost much to have someone hit it with a tig welder.

Contacted Kooks this morning, actually. I don't expect it to be warranty since I bought them off a forum member here a couple years ago, but we'll see where it goes. They're already responding so it is an active conversation.

I'm pretty much convinced as you are that these leaks make my gasket replacement a post weld operation....

If you're looking at the apparent void near the soot, that's just the soot on the primary making it look like a void. There is no dent there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Contacted Kooks this morning, actually. I don't expect it to be warranty since I bought them off a forum member here a couple years ago, but we'll see where it goes. They're already responding so it is an active conversation.

I'm pretty much convinced as you are that these leaks make my gasket replacement a post weld operation....

If you're looking at the apparent void near the soot, that's just the soot on the primary making it look like a void. There is no dent there.
Gotcha. Maybe Kooks will come through. Although, I'm not sure what they'd actually do. Replacement seems kind of far fetched.

Ahh, ok, I see the soot now.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
Gotcha. Maybe Kooks will come through. Although, I'm not sure what they'd actually do. Replacement seems kind of far fetched.

Ahh, ok, I see the soot now.

Yeah, if they replaced them on a paypal forum purchase.... I would be surprised. I actually messaged them in the context of trying to confirm that they were weld leaks without yet taking them off. I figure I'll bring them to a local shop for repair.

Still, we'll see where this goes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So far so good. Going to have to get them out of the car and then I'll drop them off with Kooks in Mooresville hopefully next week.

Hopefully I can manage that on Sunday if it doesn't rain. Shouldn't be too big of a deal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRenegade911 View Post
According to forums members of the NASIOC, they suck, but that was back in 2007.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1408008

Just get gaskets from Kooks? How long ago did you install them?

Update: Judging by what arrived, I will not recommend anybody use the remflex gasket unless they purchase it locally and can inspect the gasket.

The Amazon vendor looked like they picked this one up off the floor. While impressions aren't a concern, deep gouges and hairline cracks are. So, I went with my gut instinct and am repurchasing OEM Gaskets for when I do put them back on the car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update. I removed the headers today so that I can take them up to Mooresville on Tuesday.

I found each primary had at least one leak on the driver's side. Cylinder 3's had two leaks. The passenger side had leaks on Cyl 2 & 6.

It sure explains all of the clicking and ticking. The gaskets were perfectly fine.
ebg8gt likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Just an update. I removed the headers today so that I can take them up to Mooresville on Tuesday.

I found each primary had at least one leak on the driver's side. Cylinder 3's had two leaks. The passenger side had leaks on Cyl 2 & 6.

It sure explains all of the clicking and ticking. The gaskets were perfectly fine.
Wow. All leaks coming from the welds on the primaries to flange? Not the gaskets?

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah. The gaskets showed no signs of leakage when they were in there, and when I got them out the crush rings showed that they did their jobs.

I'm concerned that the rigidity of the exhaust system with all of the piping having no absorbers may be a contributing factor. Though, all of that is normal for the setup that these headers usually have to withstand.

To combat the lack of flex, I've sent a message to Summit with measurements so that they can hopefully help me find the right size tapered gasket for the ball and socket. It won't be much, but it'll be at least something. At a future time when I fabricate my own exhaust I'll add absorbers to the piping.

Do you think solid motor mounts like the polyelasts would help with the "twisty-flexy" in the meantime?

The thing is, with that I've gotta also replace the transmission mount with poly as well to prevent cracking of the case or bell housing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, and while I have them out I'm gonna just go ahead and have them Jet-Hotted....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Wow. That kinda sucks. And yeah, flex certainly could be a problem, but Kooks fittings should have enough flex.

I like my polyelast mounts. Not really a noticeable difference over stock, but I did them at the same time as my cam, so didn't get a good A/B comparison. That said, I'm actually at the shop now getting an exhaust leak fixed. That likely has more to do with the welds and custom work I had done though. I do have a flex section right after my cats.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Eventually I'm going to do some fabrication on my exhaust, but first I need to build a proper workshop.
ebg8gt likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page