Adding Cats to X-Pipe - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kinfolk_Warren
  • 1 Post By JUICED1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Adding Cats to X-Pipe

I currently have Kooks Longtube headers, Kooks Offroad X-pipe and Stock GXP Mufflers. My wife and I cannot stand the smell while idling. Can I weld in high flow cats to the Offroad X-Pipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Where in the chain is your x-pipe connected? If you swapped the mid muffler and/or resonators for it, then the cats could be connected anywhere closer to the headers (or right at them).

2009 SRM G8 GT w/ Premium Package

Current Mods:

Solo Axle Back Exhaust w 3.5 Tips + GXP Rear Diffuser

Planned Mods:

Replace all incandescent lighting with LED bulbs | Roto Fab CAI | Spyder Black Projector Headlights w/ LED DRL Bar | Holden iQ radio conversion | HSV Steering Wheel | Pypes LT Tri Y Headers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinfolk_Warren View Post
I currently have Kooks Longtube headers, Kooks Offroad X-pipe and Stock GXP Mufflers. My wife and I cannot stand the smell while idling. Can I weld in high flow cats to the Offroad X-Pipe?
Yes, just have a decent exhaust shop add high flow cats just after the flanges and before the rear O2 sensors. Look at the Kooks catted x-pipe as an example. Or you can just buy the kooks catted connections pipes which will likely not cost too much more and keep it a bolt on affair.

You may need to have the car re-tuned that as adding/removing cats can mess with some drive-ability things. Depends on the current tune and how "high flow" the cats are.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
DOD-delete, , Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Elite E2 Catch Can, HSRK, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos, Cold Case Radiator
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

Last edited by ebg8gt; 06-10-2019 at 11:29 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I have headers, x-pipe then mufflers.

GXP, Orssom CAI, Kooks LT, Kooks X-Pipe, Circle D 3600 Stall, Catch Can, Cam Motion Pat G Spec'd CAM...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I have headers, x-pipe then mufflers.
I assume you have the full Kooks X-pipe, yes? Pic below...

Assuming that's the case, have the cats added after those flanges.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
DOD-delete, , Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Elite E2 Catch Can, HSRK, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos, Cold Case Radiator
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Yes that's what I have. Thank you for the advice. Going to go buy a exhaust shop tomorrow.

GXP, Orssom CAI, Kooks LT, Kooks X-Pipe, Circle D 3600 Stall, Catch Can, Cam Motion Pat G Spec'd CAM...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yes that's what I have. Thank you for the advice. Going to go buy a exhaust shop tomorrow.
Cool. Just make sure you get quality cats. I had some crappy ones added to one of my exhaust setups and they started blowing apart after just a couple thousand miles.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards the Kook's high flow cats.
ebg8gt likes this.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Site Sponsor

Garage
If the exhaust shop tries to over charge you to weld them in place hit us up for the catted Xpipe. It will bolt right in and you can always sell your off road Xpipe to someone in need. You might even be able to find some looking to trade your off road Xpipe for a catted version if you're lucky.
ebg8gt likes this.

We are your one stop shop for Holden Performance. We have the best deals on all the hottest parts such as Corsa, ARH, Kooks, SW, Roto-Fab Solo Performance and much more with installation and tuning available. When you're ready to order pm/call us for your G8Board discount. Our pricing and service is second to none.
224-63-JUICE (224-635-8423) OR [email protected]

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:42 PM

Or don't cut Anything. Solo sells just the front section to add cats.
Just bolt them on

'09 PBM GT. #2 "Time to start modding again"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page