3" exhaust hitting tunnel brace.... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

2Likes
  • 2 Post By GT Drew
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-08-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Before you forum nazis murder me for asking this question.....I have searched and got conflicting answers. I'm just reviving an old problem and want current possible solutions since it's been almost 10 years since these cars we produced.

I have the xforce 1 7/8 Headers w/ full 3" fatback exhaust. The exhaust came with a tunnel brace (see attached pic. it has bends that makes it lower to clear the exhaust) that supposedly accommodates the exhaust. But the exhaust is till rattling on it. I've tried adjusting the exhaust several times. Still rattling. My car is lowered a good amount so I cant use spacers (which I think doesnt help the brace, makes it inadequate) the existing brace does hang lower than stock and hits all speed bumps.

My question is....who removed their tunnel brace? And what is the outcome over time? (Those who haven't removed their tunnel brace at anytime and driven that way please do not reply) I'm not looking for opinions just actual experience with the situation. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190708_113549_1562621970271.jpg (138.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20190708_113750_1562621986117.jpg (135.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20190708_113818_1562622004065.jpg (134.9 KB, 42 views)

http://

2009 G8 GT (AKA daily driver):
Superchips Cortex, BC coilers, Spectre CAI, Custom Flowmaster Hushpower II catback 3" w/ h-pipe exhaust, 3.5" dual tips, GXP Front bumper conversion, GXP rear diffuser, Spyder LED tails, Maverick man carbon Spoiler, CTS-V rims...Recaro Toddler car seat.

1998 Z28 (AKA Beast)
WAY Too many mods to list....10.90 N/A street legal off the juice.

2016 Kia sorento
Stock...pure Comfort

Last edited by 808G8GT; 07-08-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-08-2019, 07:50 PM

When I bought my IOM GT, the previous owner had removed the tunnel brace to accomodate a custom exhaust setup. I ended up changing out that system for another and put a brace back on. I didn't notice any difference, never had any problems with it off and didn't actually know it wasn't originally on the car till I put it up on a lift to replace the exhaust. That's my experience, hope it helps.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Mine is off. No noticeable difference.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Tunnel brace is for energy transfer in side impact. Your call.

See page 17

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...mNSSepOaE22fqL

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic) Sport /Premium
ICOM 208H
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."- unknown

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-09-2019, 08:35 AM

That is what washers are for. Stack 2 or 3 under the brace at each bolt and you will have your clearance . Or loosen every clamp on the exhaust. Then place a 1/2" or 3/4"
piece of wood between the X-pipe and the brace. Tighten everything back up. remove the wood and you should have the clearance you need. Either way, the brace is there for a reason.
GXPaycheck and lastcall190 like this.

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-15-2019, 10:25 PM

3" exhaust hitting tunnel brace....

I really want a Halo tunnel brace. But to the Op I have run without my brace a few years now with no ill effects, now in an actual side collision id feel safer with it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-15-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post
That is what washers are for. Stack 2 or 3 under the brace at each bolt and you will have your clearance . Or loosen every clamp on the exhaust. Then place a 1/2" or 3/4"
piece of wood between the X-pipe and the brace. Tighten everything back up. remove the wood and you should have the clearance you need. Either way, the brace is there for a reason.
Ummm no. My car is lowered by almost 2". Adding spacers will make the tunnel brace push towards the ground reducing ground clearance. I'm taking th bitch off until I can fab a custom one. Lol.

Superchips Cortex, BC coilers, Spectre CAI, Custom Flowmaster Hushpower II catback 3" w/ h-pipe exhaust, 3.5" dual tips, GXP Front bumper conversion, GXP rear diffuser, Spyder LED tails, Maverick man carbon Spoiler, CTS-V rims...Recaro Toddler car seat.

1998 Z28 (AKA Beast)

2016 Kia sorento
Stock...pure Comfort
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-15-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMG8 View Post
Tunnel brace is for energy transfer in side impact. Your call.

See page 17

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...mNSSepOaE22fqL
I'm sure you are right. Makes sense. But the way I look at it, if I get hit from the side....the car will be totalled anyways being how soft the platform is. Most cars dont have this brace, my 4th gen Camaro didnt have this brace, so I think it will fine for now. Lol. As long as it the car is rigid enough for daily driving purposes....its coming off until I can Fab something in place. Thanks for the info though.

1998 Z28 (AKA Beast)

2016 Kia sorento
Stock...pure Comfort
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-15-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawtSS View Post
I really want a Halo tunnel brace. But to the Op I have run without my brace a few years now with no ill effects, now in an actual side collision id feel safer with it there.

I've got the Halo brace. It's a great piece, well worth the money.

The garage queen.

The daily driver.

Sold and will be missed.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-15-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG8GT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawtSS View Post

I've got the Halo brace. It's a great piece, well worth the money.
Where is the best place to buy this brace?

1998 Z28 (AKA Beast)

2016 Kia sorento
Stock...pure Comfort
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-16-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808G8GT View Post
There's a few places that sell it. Just search Halo Camaro brace.

The garage queen.

The daily driver.

Sold and will be missed.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-16-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG8GT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808G8GT View Post
There's a few places that sell it. Just search Halo Camaro brace.
Oh thanks. I'm just worried it may be the same issue since it looks a lot like the same design as the one I already have....just stronger materials. I might give it a try anyways. Thanks again.

1998 Z28 (AKA Beast)

2016 Kia sorento
Stock...pure Comfort
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Looked at pictures of the Halo brace. The op’s issue of rattling with the exhaust is no different and ground clearance concerns are no different.

Maybe get some of that muffler/exhaust tape and wrap it around the pipes where they would contact the brace. Or just wad it up and stuff it between the pipes and brace.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Didn't locate one specifically for a 2009 Pontiac G8. Therefore, assumed what they're referencing is listed as a 2010-2015 Camaro Driveshaft tunnel brace on the halosupercars website.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-16-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post

I would try the block of wood... costs nothing but some time. I was going to say the washers are the ticket but your tunnel brace looks way different than mine, and lower to begin with.

-J

2012 Caprice
2008 Crown Vic

Past LSx:
2002 Camaro Z28
2000 Formula
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Didn't locate one specifically for a 2009 Pontiac G8. Therefore, assumed what they're referencing is listed as a 2010-2015 Camaro Driveshaft tunnel brace on the halosupercars website.
That's the one.

The garage queen.

The daily driver.

Sold and will be missed.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Looking at the photos, the OP already has a drop down brace like the Halo brace. I say the exhaust was not installed properly. It came loose and sagged and now drags. It needs to have ALL the connections loosened up. It needs to be held up in place while the clamps are tightened. Not something you can do in a drive way. You may want to pay an exhaust shop to do this on a hoist with the proper stands to hold up the exhaust

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Unread 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM

I've had to readjust my kooks due to catching gravel on inlaws driveway. And again due to age of exhaust. It torques with time and pulls itself.
I've done it in driveway just got to get car up high enough to get extra jack stands under car. Using hydraulic jack and solid to hold in place along with something under center brace.
Always thought that the brace was there to help hold exhaust up when working on it. Other then that it seems useless.

I would try to get the exhaust up high enough so it's not hitting the brace. If its sagging now due to torque it could go lower. Exhaust that big is likely to get hit ever now and then.
Like other post said unbolt exhaust from header flange back and slowly tighten from front to back. Once in position.
Good luck.

09 Pontiac G8GT rebadge to a Holden VE SSv
Rotofab, 1-3/4 long tube w/ full KOOKS exhaust. VMS ecm/tcm tune. CTSV brake Upgrade. CTSV wheels 19x9 on all four.
07 350z Nismo, Stillen headers, injen long tube intake. Leather seats.
90 300zxTT Major build est 450hp on low boost, 650hp on high boost. 99 spec front end, have yet to install the wing and tails.
85 Rx7 12a street port with holley 565 est 190hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page