Does anyone recognize this exhaust???? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

1Likes
  • 1 Post By JUICED1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone recognize this exhaust????

I recently bought a used (and apparently slightly modified) 2009 GT. I was immediately aware of the RotoFab CAI. So I then began checking into cat-backs/ headers. I had already put the car up on a lift to check on what I was working with underneath. After looking I came across a picture of a “stock” G8 GT exhaust on the internet. which looked nothing like the system on my car. I’m now confused as to which exhaust system I have, it doesn’t sound like I want it to. It’s a very humble tone that’s hardly noticeable to anyone when I get on the throttle. I need LOUD. It’s a straight system from the mid-muffler back, with J-Pipes right before the tips. I have what appears to be maybe resonators? Or Cats before the muffler. The car has the stock header/ exhaust manifold from what I can tell because they’re quite rusted and covered by a heat shield. Here are some pics! PS. I’m asking because I may be able to just replace the mid-muff with an X-Pipe and add headers if this is an already decent axle-back system. Thanks in advance for the help guys! I’m glad to now be a part of the G8 community!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E33C2964-1D07-40D9-BC27-686AE2811D09_1562801072071.jpg (12.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg F83F3DAD-5FD7-4A12-A12A-A990F1F3C774_1562801127315.jpg (12.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg A59B6CE8-7F60-4F0F-9C24-8E441B164351_1562801188221.jpg (5.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 0724E380-3541-49AC-A1A1-BA34D1A92BF7_1562801310562.jpg (13.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg EABB3ABC-53FE-46C7-BFB9-9EDDB5A00DAC_1562801343284.jpg (10.0 KB, 41 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Edit: the final picture (with the red panel visible) is where the system begins going upwards towards the manifold. Not sure what the gold part is that it’s linked to is. If anyone could tell me what’s going on there as well that’d be great!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Those are stock cats at the front. After that it looks like maybe a aftermarket mid muffler I think the stock one would be much more weathered than that. And I don't see the stock resonators in the picture. At the back it looks like homemade j pipes, but the tips are the same ones as stock. I have a solo axleback but it looks a little different than that with the J placement. I currently have the solo and X pipe with resonators and I think it sounds perfect for a daily driver.

Spectre CAI
Superchips tune
SOLO axleback
X pipe
First 888 #85

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker85 View Post
Those are stock cats at the front. After that it looks like maybe a aftermarket mid muffler I think the stock one would be much more weathered than that. And I don't see the stock resonators in the picture. At the back it looks like homemade j pipes, but the tips are the same ones as stock. I have a solo axleback but it looks a little different than that with the J placement. I currently have the solo and X pipe with resonators and I think it sounds perfect for a daily driver.
Thanks for the response! Alright so I’m going to assume that the guy before me went ahead and had a shop fab up a system. It seems to resemble some sort of solo setup. I’m gonna try replacing the mid muf with an X-pipe this weekend. I have another question off topic if you don’t mind answering. If I get a set of long tubes (probably Pypes) will those replace those stock Cats and clamp to the pipe right before the muffler? I’ve seen a thread saying that they will, but I can’t imagine the headers being THAT long. Will I need a set of down/ connector pipes to meet up with the pipes before the x-pipe?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieS View Post
Thanks for the response! Alright so Iím going to assume that the guy before me went ahead and had a shop fab up a system. It seems to resemble some sort of solo setup. Iím gonna try replacing the mid muf with an X-pipe this weekend. I have another question off topic if you donít mind answering. If I get a set of long tubes (probably Pypes) will those replace those stock Cats and clamp to the pipe right before the muffler? Iíve seen a thread saying that they will, but I canít imagine the headers being THAT long. Will I need a set of down/ connector pipes to meet up with the pipes before the x-pipe?
It does resemble one but I'm no expert on solo products, I just know how mine looks and the ones I've seen on here. Either way if you don't like the sound , I suppose that it doesn't matter. The X pipe does make it sound quite a bit better, i'd check to see the size of the piping down there just in case they changed it before you order anything. As far as the headers I don't personally have them yet but i've done quite a bit of research and the pypes longtubes should bolt right up replacing the stock cats. If you decide to get pacesetters those do need a connection pipe. Most (longtubes) though are THAT long and designed to go straight on.

Spectre CAI
Superchips tune
SOLO axleback
X pipe
First 888 #85
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
Site Sponsor

Garage
That looks like a Solo catback to me
Rillo71 likes this.

We are your one stop shop for Holden Performance. We have the best deals on all the hottest parts such as Corsa, ARH, Kooks, SW, Roto-Fab Solo Performance and much more with installation and tuning available. When you're ready to order pm/call us for your G8Board discount. Our pricing and service is second to none.
224-63-JUICE (224-635-8423) OR [email protected]

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
There was one?

Agreed. It looks like a SOLO exhaust system. Also, if it is a SOLO the mid-muffler may already be the X-Pipe resonator combo.

2009 G8 GXP, SRM, M6, Onyx, Roof. (#1818 of 1829) a.k.a Gianna
Show: Tint, VG Sharkfin, 6k HIDs + fogs, 20" TSW Interlagos.
Go: BMR, GForce, MGW, Monster Clutch, 3" SOLO, Dynotech, Squash DW255s, Tein, NLP Twin Turbo!
Stock: 363 whp/367 tq SAE (Dyno Jet) 13.149 @ 108.21 mph
Mods (older): 399 /399 SAE 12.711 @ 108.66 ,1.548 60'
Mods (old): 602/614 SAE 10 psi, 6* 11.33 @ 125.26
Mods (new): 600/631 SAE 10 psi, 10*
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 10:35 AM

Solo Mach Balanced with stock cats is what you have. It is quiet because of the stock cats. Add the Solo cats or Kooks Mids and it will roar. DO NOT cut out the only muffler in the system. You will regret it if you do. Goto Solos site and hear that exhaust with the high flow cats. you will like it

'09 PBM GT. #2 "Time to start modding again"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page