Exhaust broke before muffler flex pipe, thoughts - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust broke before muffler flex pipe, thoughts

My exhaust broke right before the flexpipe that leads to the muffler on the passenger side. I most likely going to bring it to a shop to handle fixing it as I dont own a welder, but do you guys think it can just be welded back together or should I get a new flexpipe?

2008 G8 GT - White Hot #379

Audio | IMGUR ALBUM | JBL MS-8, JL HD 900/5 (Active to fronts), Focal KRX2 woofers, ScanSpeak Illuminator Tweeters, JL Audio c2-350x Center, JL 12W6 Subwoofer, Custom fiberglass spare sub box by NDM, Second Skin Damplifier Pro on doors and trunk

Performance | Kooks Shorty Headers, Little Lunati Cam, BTR Dual Springs, Titanium Retainers, Pushrods, Volant CAI, Pat G Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Site Sponsor

Garage
I don't think the flex pipe can be repaired but they can probably replace it. Seems like a great time to order an aftermarket exhaust. We have some nice options if you're interested. Probably won't cost much more if you install it yourself.

We are your one stop shop for Holden Performance. We have the best deals on all the hottest parts such as Corsa, ARH, Kooks, SW, Roto-Fab Solo Performance and much more with installation and tuning available. When you're ready to order pm/call us for your G8Board discount. Our pricing and service is second to none.
224-63-JUICE (224-635-8423) OR [email protected]

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I did recently change out the headers and cats but I'd like to keep the rest of the exhaust stock as I prefer stock level sound which the rear mufflers and the mid muffler give me, so isn't really worth it for me to upgrade the rest of the exhaust if I'm just going to keep the stock mufflers at the back and install either the stock mid muffler back in or buy an aftermarket mid muffler.

Audio | IMGUR ALBUM | JBL MS-8, JL HD 900/5 (Active to fronts), Focal KRX2 woofers, ScanSpeak Illuminator Tweeters, JL Audio c2-350x Center, JL 12W6 Subwoofer, Custom fiberglass spare sub box by NDM, Second Skin Damplifier Pro on doors and trunk

Performance | Kooks Shorty Headers, Little Lunati Cam, BTR Dual Springs, Titanium Retainers, Pushrods, Volant CAI, Pat G Tune

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Replace it.
You can pay to have it welded but if the weld breaks your back to square one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:24 PM

Best way to repair it is to eliminate the restrictive flex joints. These ones won't rust out. Use one half on each side to replace the flex and flange.

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. Out of curiosity, I have to assume the flex pipe is there for a reason, so is there any downside to replacing it with a rigid pipe?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:22 PM

The flex pipe is to minimize resonance from the engine. Solo exhaust has the flex pipe in their high flow cats as well. I really am unable to compare the difference with and without a flex pipe. But Solo may have done the testing as they told me using the flex pipe is the more expensive route to build the high flow cats.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:28 PM

If you're keeping stock exhaust, just get it welded back together at the muffler shop. I know my shop wouldn't charge more than $20 for just patching something up like that. Even if it only lasts a couple years, it's saving ya money.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:10 PM

GM put the flex joint in to reduce drone. Same flex on the stock cats. The GXP exhaust doesn't not use them. Front or rear. I'm having those made to fit my Solo Mach Balanced so I can either run the J-pipes or stock mufflers.

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the updates. There are only 2 exhaust shops in the area by me, but I'll give them a call.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page