Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
09 LR G8 GXP 6M (#1420)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez0nance View Post
It's a classic part of V8 exhaust sound - a signature tonal characteristic of a large displacement beast of a beautiful masterpiece of an engine. It absolutely boggles my mind that some people would actually want to get rid of it.
It's nothing more than unburned fuel exploding downstream of the engine. It's so loud in unmuffled racing engines (V8 or otherwise) that it sounds like gunfire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Sooper Moderatorator

Hmmm...this gives me an idea. Stay tuned for a poll regarding this

2009 MGM G8 GT, Premium / Sport Package, 20% Tint
Gone, but not forgotten

╠╬╬╗
246 R

"Listen to thine engine and watch thine tach, lest thine whirlybits seek communion with the sun" -Unknown
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Sooper Moderatorator

Vote!

2009 MGM G8 GT, Premium / Sport Package, 20% Tint
Gone, but not forgotten

╠╬╬╗
246 R

"Listen to thine engine and watch thine tach, lest thine whirlybits seek communion with the sun" -Unknown

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 PM

I like the sound on 2 door muscle cars. I love the sound on the sedan! When I manually downshift near pedestrians, they always do a double take due the car that is making the sound.

GRRRR8 09.1
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
This just in....People have different tastes
Well that's fine, but why get a car with a large displacement small block V8 then? The exhaust burble and pops are as much a part of the engine as the cam being in the block. I just don't see how anyone can divorce the two concepts and say "I like small blocks. I hate the small block characteristics."

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossD View Post
It's nothing more than unburned fuel exploding downstream of the engine. It's so loud in unmuffled racing engines (V8 or otherwise) that it sounds like gunfire.
Oh I know what it is, and I think it's absolutely glorious.

'09 MSM G8 GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - since 9/18/08
Performance: Roto-Fab CAI; Corsa catback; VMS Tune; DBA 4000 slotted discs; Hawks Performance Ceramic pads
Interior: SAS/GTPprix Digital Gauges; Interior trim by CAA; Homelink-visor; Blendmount/Invisicord mounted V1/Dashhawk
Exterior: 3M 20% CS Tint; TSS custom darts; splash guards; Roto-Fab engine bay; Klearz sidemarkers; Spencers 5000k lows/3000k fogs
Misc.: Billet Prototypes catch can; full V-LEDs LED swap
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM

Cars these days are mostly designed to be 'quiet'. I love the fact that our cars buck any 'politically correct' trend!!

No hippie hybrid quietness here!

09 Liquid Red GXP A6
Go : VMS 93 Tune, ARH 1 7/8" Catted System, RotoFab CAI, HSRK
Handling : Spohn Rear LCAs, Rear Trailing Arms, Rear Toe Links, BMR Rear Cradle Bushing Kit, Sub Frame Connectors, Driveshaft Tunnel Brace
Looks : 5000K Spencer's HIDs, RotoFab radiator cover, Llumar 15% tint, Debadged, Billet Prototypes Catch Can
Electronics : DashHawk, Clifford 50.7x, Valentine V1

353 RWHP STOCK

[email protected]
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsingTsaoNYC View Post
Cars these days are mostly designed to be 'quiet'. I love the fact that our cars buck any 'politically correct' trend!!

No hippie hybrid quietness here!
Volume isn't whats being discussed.

PBM G8 GXP M6
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
Volume isn't whats being discussed.
Based on the post quoted, you are arguing that sound volume is not what is being discussed. IMO, this is incorrect. Since the OP's mods are not causing the sound, this is all about "volume". Once the mufflers were omitted, the sound was no longer muffled, therefore one could say there is an increase in volume or a lack of quietness.

GRRRR8 09.1
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Hispanic Causing Panic

Quote:
It's nothing more than unburned fuel exploding downstream of the engine.
The sound is coming from the exhaust not the engine, so I highly doubt that's the case.
The popping is most likely caused when outgoing air & incoming air collide with one another at a certain velocity.
Resonated exhaust tips like Zoomers tend to dramatically reduce this sound, as the tips slow down the reverse vacuum action when one quickly decels.
Particular mufflers tend to quiet that sound as well & these usually tend to be mufflers which don't give an aggressive exhaust note to begin with.

Freethinkers - Freethinkers strive to build their opinions on the basis of facts, scientific inquiry, & logical principles, independent of any logical fallacies or the intellectually-limiting effects of authority, cognitive bias, conventional wisdom, popular culture, prejudice, sectarianism, tradition, urban legend, and all other dogmatic or otherwise fallacious principles, namely Religion.
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 PM
09 LR G8 GXP 6M (#1420)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez0nance View Post

Oh I know what it is, and I think it's absolutely glorious.
I couldn't agree more!

post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
09 LR G8 GXP 6M (#1420)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
The sound is coming from the exhaust not the engine, so I highly doubt that's the case.
The popping is most likely caused when outgoing air & incoming air collide with one another at a certain velocity.
Resonated exhaust tips like Zoomers tend to dramatically reduce this sound, as the tips slow down the reverse vacuum action when one quickly decels.
Particular mufflers tend to quiet that sound as well & these usually tend to be mufflers which don't give an aggressive exhaust note to begin with.
By "downstream," I meant in the exhaust system. Exploding hydrocarbons is an oversimplification, but it explains why I have to clean my exhaust tips all the time!

post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Hispanic Causing Panic

Quote:
By "downstream," I meant in the exhaust system.
Ah yes, you are correct I overlooked that part.

Freethinkers - Freethinkers strive to build their opinions on the basis of facts, scientific inquiry, & logical principles, independent of any logical fallacies or the intellectually-limiting effects of authority, cognitive bias, conventional wisdom, popular culture, prejudice, sectarianism, tradition, urban legend, and all other dogmatic or otherwise fallacious principles, namely Religion.
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Your just letting the Weaker folks know your there so they can hide their Fords and Mopars!!!

2008 G8 GT - 35% Tint, 345 Gears, Livernois cam, Underdrive pully, 160 degree thermostat, Vararam, Kook's 1&7/8 longtube, Solo Mach Shorty w/J's, FTI 3600 Stall converter, HP Tuners, MT Drag Radials. 422 RWHP/387TQ no NOS, 536 RWHP/478TQ with NOS.

Best 1/4 mile of 12:07 / 116.5mph @ 3500 feet altitude using NOS. Best 1/4 mile 12:80 / 109mph @ 5800 feet altitude non NOS.
post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmo View Post
Based on the post quoted, you are arguing that sound volume is not what is being discussed. IMO, this is incorrect. Since the OP's mods are not causing the sound, this is all about "volume". Once the mufflers were omitted, the sound was no longer muffled, therefore one could say there is an increase in volume or a lack of quietness.
Fair enough.

Although, its the increase in volume of the popping thats not desired. The increased volume of the engine is desired, otherwise he wouldn't have put on an aftermarket exhaust to begin with.

I knew within 5 minutes of driving my g8 that the popping would be an issue, for me, with a less muffled exhaust. As posted here: https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17086 Even with the stock mufflers the cracking, popping, is annoying.

PBM G8 GXP M6
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Semantics aside, the G8 is not a luxury car. I feel the abrasive nature of the exhaust sound is part of the car's character. Totally what I expect out of an Australian import. Without it, there is less substance. At the same time, this sound would not be acceptable on a typical Cadillac, Lincoln, Merc, Bimmer or Audi.

GRRRR8 09.1
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Here's another discussion on the subject.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1369492

PBM G8 GXP M6
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM

Its f^ckin glorious. Nuff' said.

PBM M6 GXP. Vararam, VMS Tune, Pedder's Sway Bars, Pedders Street 1 kit, Atari Triples, SOLO Hi-Flows and Axle-Back.
post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 AM

Deacceleration Fuel Cut-Off

The snap-crackle-pop comes from the auto fuel cutoff feature, when you lift off over a certain rev/mph (greater than about 1500 rpm), the fuel will cut off after about 3 seconds and come back on again at around 1000 rpm.

This can be changed in the DFCO setting.
  1. Minimum RPM disable: B2409 - sets the minimum RPM that DFCO can operate. This can be set pretty low but make it over idle PRM and have a bit of over head there.
  2. Minimum RPM Enable: B2410 - over this setting, DFCO can work. Make it over the above setting and allow for some room.
  3. Speed thresholds: B2402 - set to be close on the above settings for each gear.
These should help when DFCO operates and when it doesn't. To alter how quickly it comes into operation...
  • DFCO Entry Delay: B2401 - adjust to your desire. Don't make it come in too quickly though as it may make the car feel like it misses when releasing the throttle. Allow a little longer in low gears and shorter in high gears. Aim for between 1 and 2 seconds as a start.
The above settings will also change how long the crackle lasts when slowing down. If you want it to crackle for longer, add more time.

To change the "note" of the crackle, you need to work on the timing during DFCO entry...

. DFCO Enter Spark Timing: B5149 - lower numbers = more backfires, higher numbers = more burble.

For low backfires and crackle start at maybe a minimum of 0' and remove timing till it sounds "right". Follow the shape of the stock curve.

Hence this can be tuned out or increased to your liking. Note that it is a good feature though as it reduces fuel use.
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Garage
Aussie,

Amazing details, thanks! I would have never thought that the pop/burble was 'tunable' with an aftermarket exhaust system. Very informative.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlease View Post
So, in playing w/ my exhaust (I have kooks long tubes as well as the kooks catted mid pipe) i took off my stock mufflers today. So i'm basically running headers > cats > x-pipe and done. Just wanted to see what it sounded like (thinking of getting the solo axle backs). It sounds good, but there's a lot of backfire/popping going on when i let off the gas. is this normal/is there any danger to this?
The Fuel-Cutoff on Decel can be tuned out if you like but why? It sounds good. There is no danger of any damage to your engine. Enjoy!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in