General Motors to Eliminate Pontiac Brand on Monday - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
General Motors to Eliminate Pontiac Brand on Monday

As the saying goes, "It's all over but the crying." Edmunds is reporting that their source inside General Motors has let slip that the Pontiac brand will officially be eliminated. The announcement is expected to be made next Monday as a part of a more thorough reorganization of the struggling automaker.

General Motors PR rep Tom Wilkinson told Edmunds that he could not share any information but that media should keep an eye on the company's news website for updates.

Rumors have circulated since the initial stages of GM's viability plan that both Pontiac and GMC would be cut and it looks like the Pontiac rumors may finally be true - despite GM's continued insistence that the brand is safe.

Pontiac is well-known as the most exciting of GM's brands with cars like the GTO, Firebird, Grand Prix (GTP) and now the G8 achieving iconic status.

The loss of the brand might be a necessary evil for General Motors but it could also come back to haunt them if another manufacturer purchased the name.

More: General Motors to Eliminate Pontiac Brand on Monday on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Time to protest!
post #3 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
PROCHARGED!

eh. It is what it is. If thats what they choose, thats what will happen.
I cant believe they are gonna attempt to sell Saturn Hummer and SAAB, yet they just off Pontiac? Why not sell it too?

Join the fun GET Blown by Jessika ô
SOLD TO FENGSTANG:
PROCHARGED 2009 G8GT
D-1SC, Kooks, Magnaflow, RX & more.

Last edited by WickedMom; 04-24-2009 at 10:32 AM.

post #4 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:35 AM

Well, looks like i`ll be getting a G8 early.

2001 S10 ZR2

Hopefully a G8 will be in this sig. soon
post #5 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Be EzE

WOOHOO i beat the admins!!

Sucks..I have been depressed all day!

post #6 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I chase paper!!!

For some reason i saw it coming. Pontiac is finally starting to get their mojo back, and just as they do, theyre on their "death bed".

We attack at dawn.
post #7 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Approved Dealer

Garage
Maybe I'm still in a state of denial, but I just don't see this happening as abruptly as everyone fears. Even if the announcement comes out Monday, I suspect this will be a gradual process over the next 1 to 3 years, just like with Oldsmobile. They simply will eliminate each model (or transfer it to a different division perhaps) one at a time until there is no more. They can't just shut everything down over night. I feel like I will still be able to buy a new 2010 G8 GXP next spring even if Pontiac is killed off. As long as I can get my Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, I will be fine for the next 7 to 10 years. The trauma for me will come the next time I need to buy a new car and can't turn to Pontiac as an option first. That will hurt. I am a diehard Pontiac fan, and always will be. My family have owned well over 50 Pontiacs since the '50s (my parents, siblings, and myself currently have 9 in our "stables"), and they have always served us well. I hope these reports are only rumors, and that Pontiac will at least maintain it's niche status. If not, I will always blame their death on Obama and his board of idiots!

Joe Morgan, G8 GXP Registry Organizer, G.O.N.E. Organizer 2010-2013
2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), 12.344 @ 110.92 with 1.688 60' at 766' DA, PB with new cam & tune - 12.191 @ 112.35 with 1.693 60' at 1319', 2:59 lap time at Road America on RS-As, 143.1298 mph NoFlyZoneMidwest 2017 1/2 mile into 20 mph headwind. RACECAR NOW RETIRED. All of these are final PBs.

VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, Heater Hose Relocate, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Comp Cams 224/228 .581"/.588" 112 LSA cam, LS7 lifters, PAC 1219x springs, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Camaro 1LE Diff with 3.91 gears, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, 2017 Chevy SS front & rear Brembo calipers and rotors.
1 of only 10 built in this combo (1 of 4 this combo with RS-As)& #1497 built of the 1829
post #8 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketracer View Post
If not, I will always blame their death on Obama and his board of idiots!
Ummm he wasn't the one residing over the nation when it took a nose dive, bud.
post #9 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Master Sheep Hurdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectD3 View Post
But he and his gang were the ones that gave GM the ultimatum.

'08 G8 GT- White/Premium 395 of 888
Mods: Superchips Cortex tune; VCM OTR CAI; Baer Front BBK; BMR Adjustable Rear LCA's, Adjustable Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Sway Bars/Sway Bar Links & Poly Strut Mounts; Pedders Front LCA's, Shocks and Poly Rear Sub-frame, Rear Upper Arm & Differential Bushings
post #10 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Let history reflect that many factors caused the death of Pontiac, and that Obama is one of those factors. We can debate how much of a factor, but he clearly is a factor.
post #11 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketracer View Post
Maybe I'm still in a state of denial, but I just don't see this happening as abruptly as everyone fears. Even if the announcement comes out Monday, I suspect this will be a gradual process over the next 1 to 3 years, just like with Oldsmobile. They simply will eliminate each model (or transfer it to a different division perhaps) one at a time until there is no more. They can't just shut everything down over night. I feel like I will still be able to buy a new 2010 G8 GXP next spring even if Pontiac is killed off. As long as I can get my Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, I will be fine for the next 7 to 10 years. The trauma for me will come the next time I need to buy a new car and can't turn to Pontiac as an option first. That will hurt. I am a diehard Pontiac fan, and always will be. My family have owned well over 50 Pontiacs since the '50s (my parents, siblings, and myself currently have 9 in our "stables"), and they have always served us well. I hope these reports are only rumors, and that Pontiac will at least maintain it's niche status. If not, I will always blame their death on Obama and his board of idiots!
This message totally hits it on the head. I have my G8 now, so I'm happy. But what happens when it is time to buy my next car? I always used to look to Pontiac first (and they always had something for me), so now what??
post #12 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Official Glass Tech

Quote:
neither was W when he took office, those problems incurred because of "the past 8 years of Clinton"

FS: 18x8 5x114 Enkei wheels, and SHOEI X-ELEVEN (L) Helmet
post #13 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
neither was W when he took office, those problems incurred because of "the past 8 years of Clinton"
Never inferred it was W, I agree it's some from Clinton. Another part being the yen finally "updated" to it's true value, band aid fixes to our economy from the gov for the last 20yrs., and the two front war we are in now (with it's massive $ contracts to KBR & RMS) certainly does not help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfz28 View Post
But he and his gang were the ones that gave GM the ultimatum.
I'm sorry, but I don't see a problem with giving an ultimatum to tighten GM up. If GM as a whole takes a dive, there go the tax dollar bailout dollars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorneyguy View Post
Let history reflect that many factors caused the death of Pontiac, and that Obama is one of those factors. We can debate how much of a factor, but he clearly is a factor.
Never said he wasn't. I don't see a problem with making GM wisen up their finances. I'm sad to see Pontiac go, but GM had too many platforms across too many brands. All of which closely resembled each other.

Last edited by PerfectD3; 04-24-2009 at 12:37 PM.
post #14 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlochili View Post
WOOHOO i beat the admins!!

Sucks..I have been depressed all day!
Same here, I didn't sleep well last night after I heard this. I love my G8, but lately, up until last night I was kicking myself, about buying it during the resection and the possibility of me loosening my job weighed heavily on my mind. Now I'm really glad I did.

post #15 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:54 PM
GOT BOOST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedMom View Post

eh. It is what it is. If thats what they choose, thats what will happen.
I cant believe they are gonna attempt to sell Saturn Hummer and SAAB, yet they just off Pontiac? Why not sell it too?

Because if they dont sell Pontiac then there is a the potential for them to bring it back in the future.

510 RWHP RICE EATER!!!

G8 has been sold.
post #16 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:58 PM

I don't get why some are blaming GW or Obama, when it's been GM's and Pontiac's fault for producing crappy and unreliable cars for the last 30years, an inefficient manufacturing process, a over bloated sales channel and unrealistic UAW,CAW contracts. Come on people, put blame were blame is due!
post #17 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 PM

post #18 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
BINGO!! It's on the guy who's name is the same as my favorite part of a woman's body... whoop
post #19 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
This message totally hits it on the head. I have my G8 now, so I'm happy. But what happens when it is time to buy my next car? I always used to look to Pontiac first (and they always had something for me), so now what??
Just walk over to the Buick lot and look for the Grand National or GNX... it'll be there... that's what will happen... yes it will...
post #20 of 246 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Talking NOOO We Cannot

Quote:
Time to protest!
do that! CNN and MSNBC will classify us as a bunch of illiterate Fox News Supporting, American Legion Dangerous Militia Rightest!! and Homeland Security Boss NeoPolitan Ice Cream will be knocking at our door.

Twin Turbo 2000 SS Camaro(486RWHP,493 RWTQ)SOLD
2009 Pacific Slate G8 GT
2006 Daytona Sunset Orange C6
2005 Sunbusrt Orange Colorado Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page