10 Totally Awesome Cars of the 1980s Hitting the Auction Block This Weekend. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

10 Totally Awesome Cars of the 1980s Hitting the Auction Block This Weekend.

If you want to be seen driving around in a seriously retro ride, then we suggest a trip to the Auburn Auction Park in Auburn, Indiana this weekend. The annual Auburn Spring Auction is kicking off with 900 cars hitting the block, including some serious gems of the MTV era.

We've compiled a list of 10 of the best and most interesting cars of the 1980s that any Gen-Xer would take over a date with Molly Ringwald.

Crank up the MJ, Devo or Whitesnake and join us for a trip through one awesome era of cars.

More: 10 Totally Awesome Cars of the 1980s Hitting the Auction Block This Weekend. on CarCrushing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 01:57 PM

I own a #6

09 G8 LR GT.
06 GP/GT
01 GP/GT (wife's)
86 GP 2+2
76 TA 455 4sp
72 GTO 400 4sp
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uforacing View Post
I own a #6
Nice! I love those! Much cooler than the Montes.

Not surprisingly, I love #2 (my brother has an '80 turbo T/A). The writeup on that website is a bit odd: I've never heard of a "gold package" besides the SE, and that was only on black; lots of people added stripes afterwards, in various colours, but I question the factory legitimacy of that auction car. The 301T wasn't also "incredibly rare" when new, nor was the 6.6L even an option after '79; finding a working 301T now is pretty tough, though: lots of (heathens, unbelievers) pulled the 301T for a 400 or 455 (or, sacreligiously, a 350 SBC).

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
1996 Caprice Classic: dark cherry, LT1, B4U
1977 Mercury Cougar XR7: light jade metallic, rare 302/low-option Ontario car

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Wow I had never heard of the turbo model T/A.

-2009.5 MSM Premium GT-

Mods: Forged 6.0, 3600 Coan, GPI SS3 Cam, Milled LS3 Heads, VCM, RCR Intake, tuned by GPI.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Garage
The '80 and '81 Pace Cars were all TT/As, but you could order it in any T/A. My brother's is black with red interior and the maroon/orange/red bird (super-slick combination, and much more interesting than an SE, IMO), WS6, no T-tops - handles stupidly well for a car of that vintage, it's no wonder T/As had such a fearsome reptuation!

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 01:57 PM

My preferred T/A is the 78 6.6 L; used to drive one when I was stationed in Hawaii.

US Army Retired 1986~2008

Fortune Favors The Bold
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Garage
400s are nice, especially W72s, but I still think the 301T has a neat charm all its own - it's a great symbol of the times (second gas crunch, automakers doing what they could with what they had), and it's quite relevant these days with everyone going to turbocharged, smaller engines again.

And I still like it better than a 403 Olds because at least it's a real Pontiac motor

Other cars:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page