Report: Pontiac G8 to Live On as Chevrolet Caprice - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Report: Pontiac G8 to Live On as Chevrolet Caprice

Calling the Pontiac G8 "Too good to waste," GM's new product boss, Bob Lutz, has just announced that the car will live on, rebadged as a Chevrolet Caprice. The news comes as a surprise, considering GM's CEO Fritz Henderson has been unwavering in his insistence that the car would be eliminated from the New GM.

Apparently part of the reason for the move is due to the fact that GM has an internal agreement with Holden, the Australian arm of the company that makes and sells the car as the Commodore in its home market. Currently GM sells the Comodore in markets like the middle east badged as a Chevy.

Lutz did not say if the new body style would be available for the U.S. market by 2010, of if consumers would have to wait until 2011.

So while GM looks to pave a new future full of green cars, it appears as though old-man-Lutz still wants General Motors to build cars for performance enthusiasts. He even said that a high-performance "V" version of the upcoming Cadillac CTS Coupe is still a possibility.

In addition, Lutz even commented that a "V" version of the Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon was not completely out of the question. "I'm sure we'll build at least one," he said.

More: Report: Pontiac G8 to Live On as Chevrolet Caprice on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 AM

that thing is fugly...way to ruin the G8

2009 Liquid Red GT
SLP Powerflo exhaust, RotoFab intake, Superchips Cortex tune
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot9g8gt View Post
That picture is the Middle East version of another car holden makes (not the Commodore....a stretched version of the Commodore they call something else). So that won't be what we see here.

We SHOULD see something very close to the current G8 body style with a different front end.

EDIT: The 'Statesman" is what that picture above is based off of.

http://www.motorauthority.com/2009-c...ddle-east.html

Last edited by RedWings; 07-13-2009 at 09:20 AM.

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Be EzE G8

Quote:
Can you say G8 conversion kits? I am glad i kept my stock parts those Caprice owner might just be in the market.

On another note, I am glad to see that someone in GM still has half a brain. Totally killing the G8 in the US market was as we all agree a horrible idea. I think from a marketing standpoint this car will be one of the best selling Chevys made in the last 15-20 years once its all said and done. This also opens up a whole new world of options for them to produce this as a fleet vehicle for law enforcement. I would be willing to bet this option was a major selling point when convencing Fritzy to keep making them.

09 Sport Red G8GT Premium/Sport
2.03 60ft 13.374 @ 104.70 (BONE STOCK TIME)
Slightly Moded... New times soon!
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:23 AM

Thank You, God...I sure hope the G8 crash parts will be in good supply-looks wise that thing just doesn't have it
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 AM

Actually the statesman looks better than the Commodore in real life IMHO.

Good news for Holden!

post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of the continued development of aftermarket parts for our G8s now that it will apparently live on.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM

This would be good news. It all about parts availability...
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Flying at low altitude

There are a few reports on this on the web, one of them (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...710_847893.htm) said that the G8 outsold the Acura TL and Infinity G37 during the same time period.

On one hand, Pontiac this year sold more of the G8, which starts at $28,000 for a base model up to $40,000 for the super-sporty GXP version, than Acura sold of its high-volume TL luxury sedan and Infiniti sold of its sporty G37. The cars all sell in the same general price range. "They would sell even more of them under the Chevy name," says John Wolkonowicz, an analyst at IHS Global Insight in Boston. "And they would do well in the police-car market, too."

Way to go Maximum Bob, welcome back!

2008 GT
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
'08 LR GT #772

This is great news, although after reading the Business Week article, it's not a sure thing.

I'm not to sure about the Caprice name. I always think of Chevy Caprices as rather mundane sedans or police cars. A better idea is to name it Impala and replace the current FWD car. Take the FWD formally-known-as-Impala and call it Chevrolet Classic and sell it to rental agencies, and other fleet only.

Then not only will you get the enthusiasts to buy it, but also the current clientele which cares more about the room than how it performs.
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM

The Chevy won't look like that... it will look like the VF Commodore (which isn't coming out until next April-ish, so look for the Chevy car to not be here until at least August or September of 2010 as a 2011 model). The VE gets new engines in September of this year, and VF gets some weight reduction (including aluminum body panels) and other styling changes (headlamps), is based on Zeta2 (Camaro), and gets a new interior. The Chevy will be a VF car, not VE like our G8's. It will probably have its own grill, which will likely be shared with the models which Holden exports to GMME...

2004 Cosmos Purple GTO (summer toy)
2009 White Hot/Onyx G8 GT (daily driver)
2009 White Hot/Onyx/Red G8 GXP (summer toy)
1998 Black Olds Aurora (retired
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Thumbs up

They (GM) can call it Vega, Corvair ,Chevette or whatever just as long as it keeps coming here. And don't be suprised if it doesn't look much better than the picture of this middle eastern version. I knew it was good news when I heard Lutz was coming back!
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:15 PM

Great news, it didn't make sense to kill this great a car.

SBM 2009 GT
Premium/Sport package
Chrome Grills
Solo Cat back
JBA Shorties
Intense Dyno Tune
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Flying at low altitude

Lutz just said in a blog on line:

Bob Lutz: The G8 has finally been discovered by a broader percentage of the buying public. The owners are ecstatic about them, many calling it the best sedan they've ever driven. We consider it too good to waste. So we're studying the feasibility of bringing it in as a Caprice for both law enforcement and the public.

So, it is confirmed some of this is being driven by law enforcement...

Join the live blog here:

http://www.gmreinvention.com/

2008 GT
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 PM

Great

http://www.TheHumbler.net

2009 G8GT Sport Red/Blk/Auto SOLD ;0(
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 PM

I modify this as I think about it more but, here's my first input:
  • Parts concerns for current G8 owners have, for the most part, vanished!
  • Because of the limited production of the Pontiac G8, this truly will add "collector" value to our cars.
  • For thsose of us that bit on the long-term 0% deals; if they make an even hotter version of the Caprice down the road, with the $5,000 of "buyer protection" we could easily trade into a new car.

So far, this seems like good news!

09 White Hot G8 GT

"Leave the Rice to Uncle Ben! Drive V-8's!"
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lassa -- Motor Trend
2:37 [Comment From Todd Lassa -- Motor Trend ]
(Follow-up on G8/Caprice question): Will most state and local law enforcement agencies allow purchase of a foreign-built police car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lutz
2:38 Bob Lutz: While the large RWD cars may be made in Australia, they are an integral part of GM, contain US-built engines and transmissions and numerous other components, and are so "American" in character that i don't believe the law enforcement agencies would have any problems with the assembly origin of the vehicle. Plus, they'll love it.
Will they really use LWB?

There is no stock in the US.
For all stock, pricing, availability and time of shipping to US, please contact JHP Australia directly.
http://www.jhpss.com/Pontiac-G8/ContactUs.htm
I can only answer technical questions (on my own time).

post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM

I suppose it's good to keep the parts supply going for current G8 owners, but I fail to see the logic in keeping the car alive, but killing the performance nature with a malibu style front end and taxicab wheels. Anybody who has a clue about the performance potential would most likely be turned off by the looks. Anybody who actually likes the looks (Buick owners?) would not be interested in the performance. I don't get it. If they keep it, I hope it keeps the sporty nature.
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM

As others have said, THE PICTURE DOESN'T SHOW THE CAR WE'RE GOING TO GET HERE! Look for a concept car at NAIAS in January 2010.

And no, I doubt it will be the LWB Zeta (WM platform) - they are just going to use the "Caprice" name (since Caprice was the high end Chevy sedan, and they don't want to use the "Lumina" name here in the 'States)...

2004 Cosmos Purple GTO (summer toy)
2009 White Hot/Onyx G8 GT (daily driver)
2009 White Hot/Onyx/Red G8 GXP (summer toy)
1998 Black Olds Aurora (retired
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Well, I don't dig making our car a Chevy, and quite frankly I don't buy the VF Commodore thing...but at least parts won't be an issue for now...just keep us unique...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page