Report: Still Hope For Full-Sized, Rear-Drive Chevy and Cadillac Models - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
Administrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 732
Garage
Report: Still Hope For Full-Sized, Rear-Drive Chevy and Cadillac Models


With yesterday's announcement of the Chevrolet Caprice police cruiser, General Motors was clear to indicate that a civilian version of the car would not be offered. According to a report by the GM know-it-alls at GMInsideNews, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that no rear-drive full-sized sedans are coming.

With GM back on track, the company is reportedly re-examining the possibility of building one or even two vehicles on the full-sized Zeta platform. Product boss Bob Lutz is particularly interested in using the platform to underpin two new sedans: one for Chevy and one for Cadillac. GM does already have plans to build the Cadillac XTS, but it be offered as either a front-drive or all-wheel drive model, with no rear-drive option available. GMI's sources indicate, however, that there has been considerable discussion on this topic by GM execs as many people doubt Cadillac can ever achieve top-tier luxury status without a true rear-drive S-Class/7 Series competitor. The discussion has even moved into action as several individuals within the company have been tasked with proposals for the car.

A new Caprice model in Australia is due out in 2013, so if GM does bring back a civilian Caprice or create a new rear-drive full-sized Cadillac, it would most likely have to wait until then.

More: Report: Still Hope For Full-Sized, Rear-Drive Chevy and Cadillac Models on AutoGuide.com
Administrator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
G8BLBYU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 1,584
While hope springs eternal, it wasn't too long ago that Lutz said:

"The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I'd mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste.

"That's all still true. But I have to say that, with my new "marketing" hat on, upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today's market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be."

And good old Fritz said:

"We've been looking at it for police applications. As for whether or not it's broader than police applications, I am not a believer in re-branding and re-badging. We've been talking about in terms of potential police applications and we'll leave it at that."

Maybe something really changed in the last three months, but I doubt it. They couldn't make a business case for it a few months ago and the head of the company said he didn't believe in rebranding and rebadging, but maybe they now see the light?

09 PBM G8GT Prem & Sport
PPV Struts
Tein Springs
DBA 4000 Series Slotted T3 Rotors
Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads
GM & Pontiac Badge Delete
V8 6.0 Litre Emblems
Rear Mufflers Deleted (replaced with straight pipes)
01/09/10: Fontana - 13.187 @ 106.67 MPH (DA Corrected - 13.036 @ 107.91)

Mulholland run 4/19/09
G8BLBYU is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Member
 
Scarhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 78
Quote:
Maybe something really changed in the last three months, but I doubt it. They couldn't make a business case for it a few months ago and the head of the company said he didn't believe in rebranding and rebadging, but maybe they now see the light?
I think that was a BS excuse anyways...the way I see it, Zeta was built as a "global" platform...how could you turn a Holden built vehicle into a global platform without rebranding and rebadging? There's no Holden brand in North America. It's a bit different from, for example, the GM W-body...Grand Prix, Impala, Monte Carlo, LaCrosse...All the same car in the same market.
Scarhead is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 705
Lutz clearing out the losers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GM-US-...&asset=&ccode=

Now if he can just get Fritz dumped or reprogrammed, we'd get a whole line of Zeta Chevys and Caddies.

He's a Marine...knows how to grind it out.
G8>550i is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post

With yesterday's announcement of the Chevrolet Caprice police cruiser, General Motors was clear to indicate that a civilian version of the car would not be offered. According to a report by the GM know-it-alls at GMInsideNews, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that no rear-drive full-sized sedans are coming.

With GM back on track, the company is reportedly re-examining the possibility of building one or even two vehicles on the full-sized Zeta platform. Product boss Bob Lutz is particularly interested in using the platform to underpin two new sedans: one for Chevy and one for Cadillac. GM does already have plans to build the Cadillac XTS, but it be offered as either a front-drive or all-wheel drive model, with no rear-drive option available. GMI's sources indicate, however, that there has been considerable discussion on this topic by GM execs as many people doubt Cadillac can ever achieve top-tier luxury status without a true rear-drive S-Class/7 Series competitor. The discussion has even moved into action as several individuals within the company have been tasked with proposals for the car.

A new Caprice model in Australia is due out in 2013, so if GM does bring back a civilian Caprice or create a new rear-drive full-sized Cadillac, it would most likely have to wait until then.

More: Report: Still Hope For Full-Sized, Rear-Drive Chevy and Cadillac Models on AutoGuide.com
Amazing how these styling changes can convert a hot, sexy G8 into a total snoozemobile Caprice.
G8>550i is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
BBBBGXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8>550i View Post
Amazing how these styling changes can convert a hot, sexy G8 into a total snoozemobile Caprice.
What, you don't like the typical boring GM designs? If you hate these, just wait 'til the "Green" designs start hitting the light of day! Being under the government thumb as they are, there is no way to go but down design wise!
BBBBGXP is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Skyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8>550i View Post
Amazing how these styling changes can convert a hot, sexy G8 into a total snoozemobile Caprice.
I have been thinking the same thing ever since I saw those pics a few months ago. I don't think they're ugly or anything, but definitely not as nice looking as our G8's. I'm thinking the Aussie's think so too since they have started offering basically our G8's down under as well.


Daily Fun - 2009 PBM GT, Sport & Premium, VCM, SOLO Mach Catback, Tune, L76 Oil Cap, Visor & Arrowhead Decals, Planned Soon: Top End Build by RCR and a few other goodies
Weekend Fun - 2009.5 Pacific Slate Metallic GXP, A6, Sunroof - Stock (#960, 1 of 18 as optioned)
Daily Hauler - 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche - CAI, HID's, Sail Panel LED's, LOF, Plasma
Two Wheel Fun - 2005 Honda VTX1300C
Skyview is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I chase paper!!!
 
DollarBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8>550i View Post
Amazing how these styling changes can convert a hot, sexy G8 into a total snoozemobile Caprice.
This isnt exactly the same car as the G8.
DollarBill is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Skyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,254
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Caprice

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Statesman

I think it's more like these, although they are pretty similar to the Commodore from the looks of it. I think they're longer than the Commodore among other things.


Daily Fun - 2009 PBM GT, Sport & Premium, VCM, SOLO Mach Catback, Tune, L76 Oil Cap, Visor & Arrowhead Decals, Planned Soon: Top End Build by RCR and a few other goodies
Weekend Fun - 2009.5 Pacific Slate Metallic GXP, A6, Sunroof - Stock (#960, 1 of 18 as optioned)
Daily Hauler - 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche - CAI, HID's, Sail Panel LED's, LOF, Plasma
Two Wheel Fun - 2005 Honda VTX1300C
Skyview is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I chase paper!!!
 
DollarBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyview View Post
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Caprice

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Statesman

I think it's more like these, although they are pretty similar to the Commodore from the looks of it. I think they're longer than the Commodore among other things.
Longer, and more luxurious. They arent even in the same class as the commodore. If GM or australia had a cadillac division, those two would be a part of the lineup.
DollarBill is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
IdontRe Member
 
AuggieDosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South GA
Posts: 631
If you would like to make your voice heard and would like to keep or rebadge the G8GT/GXP then please sign one or both of the below links!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savetheG8/
http://www.gopetition.com/online/29534.html
AuggieDosta is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 112
Is it just me, or does this look waaaaaay to much like a Ford Five Hundred with Chevy badges?
TheWhiteKnight is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Master Sheep Hurdler
 
lonewolfz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Crown Point, NY
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteKnight View Post
Is it just me, or does this look waaaaaay to much like a Ford Five Hundred with Chevy badges?
Nope, doesn't look anything like a Gillette Mach 3 razor.

'08 G8 GT- White/Premium 395 of 888
Mods: Superchips Cortex tune; VCM OTR CAI; Baer Front BBK; BMR Adjustable Rear LCA's, Adjustable Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Sway Bars/Sway Bar Links & Poly Strut Mounts; Pedders Front LCA's, Shocks and Poly Rear Sub-frame, Rear Upper Arm & Differential Bushings
lonewolfz28 is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Service Tech Approved!
 
oxbcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 532
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8>550i View Post
Amazing how these styling changes can convert a hot, sexy G8 into a total snoozemobile Caprice.
Really? Because it looks to me like it has the GXP front clip.
oxbcat is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 42
http://www.chevrolet.com.br/action/s...ion=OmegaOmega

GM still sells the Commodore as a Chevrolet (Omega) with left hand drive but only with a V6 in Brazil! I guess it's time to head south and pick on up. Even just a chassis with no drivetrain and then find a donor/wrecked G8 GT and you got the Chevy CR8!

lots of possibilities!
thepaidtraveler is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 116
Here we go again.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ered-gm-85919/

A couple of questions asked at gmreinvention.com show that maybe a retail version of the caprice might still be alive. This going back and forth is killing me.

Future Chevy SS owner.
cozbyrt is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:23 AM
US Ute whore
 
sccaGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaidtraveler View Post
http://www.chevrolet.com.br/action/s...ion=OmegaOmega

GM still sells the Commodore as a Chevrolet (Omega) with left hand drive but only with a V6 in Brazil! I guess it's time to head south and pick on up. Even just a chassis with no drivetrain and then find a donor/wrecked G8 GT and you got the Chevy CR8!

lots of possibilities!
It's easier said than done. If you can arrange transport of only the bodies & chassis (or even the whole car), then it would still cost more than anyone would want to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozbyrt View Post
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ered-gm-85919/

A couple of questions asked at gmreinvention.com show that maybe a retail version of the caprice might still be alive. This going back and forth is killing me.
It's not killing me anymore. I gave up months ago. If it arrives, fine. If not, whatever.
sccaGTO is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
josh_4184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 320
Haven't they beat'in this topic to death yet, Lutz wants RWD, then doesn't, that man has more trouble making decision than Brett Farve.

2009 LR Pontiac G8 GT
Premium PKG/Sunroof

Mods:
Performance: SuperChips Custom Tune, GXP Exhaust
Appearence: DDM HID 35W 5000K, GXPDifuser, 20% Tint
Coming Soon: Rotofab CAI
josh_4184 is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Pontiac Fanatic
 
whiterp199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Franksville, WI in summer Elizabethtown, PA, winter
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_4184 View Post
Haven't they beat'in this topic to death yet, Lutz wants RWD, then doesn't, that man has more trouble making decision than Brett Farve.
Lutz says what he wants, then gets shot down be the losers that are currently running GM.
whiterp199 is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
US Ute whore
 
sccaGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterp199 View Post
Lutz says what he wants, then gets shot down be the losers that are currently running GM.
That's the correct synopsis. Josh should know that Lutz wants what he wants. He's gotten that at least 2 times (maybe more).
sccaGTO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome