Top 10 Cars of the Detroit Auto Show - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Top 10 Cars of the Detroit Auto Show

For some of the more minor auto shows, a Top 10 list of the most important cars often covers most of the new debuts, but not so at the North American International Auto Show. Held each January in Detroit it's the obvious launch site for major products by the Big Three domestic automakers and over the years has also become the venue for important new models by the rest of the auto industry.

Domestics made their mark at this year's Detroit show, starting with one very different concept car revealed by Chevrolet. Called the Tru 140S it may look like some outrageously fast and expensive exotic machine, but it's neither. Based on the same front-drive platform as the Chevy Cruze, it is powered by the same 1.4-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder, which makes just 138 hp in that car. Designed, along with the Code 130R concept, as part of an initiative to attract youth buyers back to the brand, Chevy seems serious about the concept, even announcing that if it made production, the target price would be around the $20,000 mark.

More: Top 10 Cars of the Detroit Auto Show on Autoguide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Shannon

Garage
I like it, i would drive that around, would force some air into the 4 banger though!

G8 GT Panther Black, Sport/Premium Package
Performance Mods:
Superchips 91 Volant Tune, Volant CAI, Borla Cat Back
Interior Mods:
Home Link in Visor, Kicker Audio All around.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:12 PM

I really liked the look of the 2013 Fusion, its got a Rapid DB9 look about it.

2009 Voodoo Metallic Blue G8 GT
1 of less than 1,111
Premium/non-Sport & no-roof, Vararam OTR, V6 Radiator Cover, Corsa CB, RoyalPurple,
LLumar Ceramic Tint 40/30/15, 3400k HIDs, Pontiac cargo tray, 18" Drag-37 wheels,
BMR Sways, HSV Engine Cover & Clubsport Wheels, Yellow +09 CTSv Brembos,
Kooks Mids w/Pat G Tune

5 Year Plan: 3.27 Dif, HSV Front Guards & Flutes, E3 front bumper

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 PM

Garage
That Chevy thing looks like a Genesis coupe and a toad mated... there's a lot of "bad Hyundai" in that front end (that is referring to Hyundai's rather beastly new front end treatments).

I love the look of the new Fusion, but jebus, no V6 option?! Seriously, offer the Taurus SHO engine in that puppy and then we'd be talkin'. It's really sad to see displacements getting so small, and I4s becoming the norm for even bigger cars.

BTW the Lexus LF-LC must be the grandson of the 1961 Plymouth LOL!

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
1996 Caprice Classic: dark cherry, LT1, B4U
1977 Mercury Cougar XR7: light jade metallic, rare 302/low-option Ontario car
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM

Garage
And no, I don't apologize for the overly-negative tone of my post LOL

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 AM

I am going tomorrow to the show. I'll try to post some pics up after!

2009 Panther Black GXP (Sold)
Maggie 2300, Kooks Midlength Headers, BMR Trailing Arms, Livernois tune, Rotofab CAI, Corsa Catback
2012 Audi A6 Prestige, Full LED, Cold Weather package, 20" sport suspension package
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 AM

Big winner is the Fusion...finally looks like Ford got some benefit out of owning Aston Martin and Jaguar, provided they don't get sued for design infringement. The Fusion is a rock star styling wise.

Other winner is the Cadillac ATS. Clean styling showoing some M-B influence and a really nice job integrating big grill and headlights. Interior far above 3 series or C class. If GM is successful in exploiting the fact that the 3 Series is going soft by having best in class handling for the ATS, it could be a game changer. They are definitely focusing on the right things.

Now how about a twin turbo V6 ATS - V with 400+ hp, 8 speed transmission and say 18-31 mpg. For under $50K. That would really shake things up
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Other than the ordering of the list and a couple spots, these really were the highlights of the show. The two Toyota concepts were either nothing new (Prius) or hideous (NS4). And I know there have been a lot of mixed reviews on the internet pics of the Chevy concepts, but in person they looked really good. I personally liked the Code30R concept better. That Lexus concept was wierd too. It looks more like a politically correct list than an objective one.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how

And yet the prototypes never look anything like the finished product...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8>550i View Post
Now how about a twin turbo V6 ATS - V with 400+ hp, 8 speed transmission and say 18-31 mpg. For under $50K. That would really shake things up
This is what I am most excited about!!! I'm also crossing my fingers that they're able to offer the AWD in the V. Now that would be one sweet DD.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo301 View Post
And no, I don't apologize for the overly-negative tone of my post LOL
LMAO usually I look forward to going to the Canadian international Auto show in February in Toronto for the freebies and to see whats new and exciting.... this year were going to Vegas on Vacation but even if we weren`t I would probably pass on the car show...

2009 SBM Pontiac G8 V6
Mods tints 35's front 5's rear
Solo Mach Shorty Cat back with a J Pipe
Colour Shifting Halos AAC STYLE...
Spyder LED Tail Lights
GXP Rear Diffuser
Bohnman front Splitter
Blue Lamin-X Fogs
Roto-Fab CAI
Third Shift Studios Concept Dart
Video in Motion Courtesy Zepcom Performance
Overkill Tune
OGOC Member
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM

The 1st thing that comes to mind with the Lexus is a Remington Electric Shaver.

US Army Retired 1986~2008

Fortune Favors The Bold
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM

At first I thought that was a Kia.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM

The biggest winner I would say is the new ATS from Cadillac.

2008 Liquid Red V6: K&N Air Filter, Commodore Tail Lamps, GM 410mm Antenna Mast, Coil Spring Rubbers for rear suspension, Pontiac Mud Guards (Winter Only), COMMODORE Badge, GM Chiclet Debadge, UK Tax Disc, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W tires, and an Interstate Battery.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 PM

i agree the cadi takes it for me then th next is the acura ilx.

Moe

2009 g8 v6
cai
20 advanti wheels
saving up for exhaust upgrades, among other things.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeCos View Post
i agree the cadi takes it for me then th next is the acura ilx.
Really, ILX - same Honda platform stretched wheel base, so-so luxury, but what is the biggest fail of that car is its styling. What were they thinking with its styling? Did the designers from Dodge relocate to Acura, because its a pure mirror image of the Dodge Advenger. Look at the back quarter exact mirror image. Honda & Toyota designs in the last years have been giving a solid F in design, this shows their they are unimanginable and not ready to try something new not radical that WORKS.

2009 Voodoo Metallic Blue G8 GT
1 of less than 1,111
Premium/non-Sport & no-roof, Vararam OTR, V6 Radiator Cover, Corsa CB, RoyalPurple,
LLumar Ceramic Tint 40/30/15, 3400k HIDs, Pontiac cargo tray, 18" Drag-37 wheels,
BMR Sways, HSV Engine Cover & Clubsport Wheels, Yellow +09 CTSv Brembos,
Kooks Mids w/Pat G Tune

5 Year Plan: 3.27 Dif, HSV Front Guards & Flutes, E3 front bumper
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM

it sure beats the #1 spot the NSX. that looked like crap. for me the Cadi took the show and the second best one i saw was the ilx. everything else looked the same as it used to. not to much better in my book. the new dart looked like a bloated avenger so don't know what else to say about this years top 10. i'll always stand by my car though we have some of the best looking cars made in the last ten years i say. but that's just my humble opinion.

Moe

2009 g8 v6
cai
20 advanti wheels
saving up for exhaust upgrades, among other things.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 AM

In Japan they can build a reliable car but as far design they cannot pull it out even to save their souls. I wonder why they have to copycat others designs?

If you look at it in the genetic point of view.

In Japan is a clone of the original and in Korea is clone of a clone; so what you get?

What was that Hyundai car that looked like an old Jaguar and a Mercedes but looked more like an intent to copy a Lexus. That thing was hideous.

US Army Retired 1986~2008

Fortune Favors The Bold
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I maek mah avitar :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craneum View Post
What was that Hyundai car that looked like an old Jaguar and a Mercedes but looked more like an intent to copy a Lexus. That thing was hideous.
You mean this?

While I do think Hyundai styling has come a long way, I don't think their designs will age well with time. The Veloster just looks like a helmet with wheels attached.

Plastiderp
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 05:09 AM

Garage
Ah, poor Amanti - it's sad to think I used to like those... it looks like an ugly little piglet now LOL!

As for the Veloster, I agree, it does look like a helmet, or a toad... and didn't the whole three-door concept die in the '90s? C'mon, put a fourth door on, for heaven's sake!

Other cars:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page