Chevy SS to Bow at Daytona 500 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Chevy SS to Bow at Daytona 500

Quote:
Next year’s Daytona 500 will mark the return of the Chevy SS sedan, powered by a V8 engine and sending plenty of torque to the rear wheels.

The big race will see the Super Sport revealed in production form, while racing versions take to the track in the NASCAR classic.

According to a report out of Australia, the new Chevy SS will be revealed simultaneously with the next generation Holden Commodore, on which its based. The current Commodore did underpin the Pontiac G8, which had modest success in America, despite tremendous praise by enthusiasts and the automotive media. The car would likely have lived on though, were it not for the global economic collapse, GM’s filing for bankruptcy protection and the shuttering of the Pontiac brand.

Fans who can’t wait for the return of the rear-drive Chevy sedan will have to do just that, however, with the Daytona 500 not scheduled until Thursday, February 21st of 2013.

Once it’s revealed, getting one won’t be easy either, as Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux, has said just a few thousand of the cars will be delivered to the US.
Read the full story on the Chevy SS Debut at AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM

Garage
"Return of the Chevy SS"? When was it ever here in the first place?

I hate it when automakers purposely limit supply like they're suggesting they will. If GM can sell 10,000 of 'em, why not do that? CAFE, I guess?

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
1996 Caprice Classic: dark cherry, LT1, B4U
1977 Mercury Cougar XR7: light jade metallic, rare 302/low-option Ontario car
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

its a joke the price will be so high that non of ous will be able to afford one.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Garage
limited edition run, gxp-like awesomeness for the bridge generation?

I might get one. Just to throw around and do a video on the differences between that and the ol' g8.

Would be cool to have one rental SS or something that we all share to "test objectively" with.

--zep

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Garage
It's a Pontiac, of course the G8's better (that's right, Chevy slap down LOL).

I wonder if GM's sold the first year's worth already? Getting one just to "throw around" might be hard to do, according to the Holden hype...

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Car RamRod

I hope it looks different at the showrooms...the NASCAR version looks like the taurus, or the camry, or the lumina, et al.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 AM

Garage
I'm sure it will, "stock cars" don't really look like stock cars anymore (just one of the reasons motorsports do not interest me in the slightest).

Other cars:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Garage
STICKERS!

v8supercars who use the VE body shell, although modified to accomidate race cage and layout, have working doors, exterior mirrors, working headlights and brake lights, and even have a flash-to-pass feature on some of the cars.

At least it feels so much more real than the nascar cars that differentiate different "body styles" by the stickers that they put on the "one size fits all" paradigm.

Maybe nascar will be changing that?

Would there really be a Toyota Camry body style in nascar? Should it be required to be a front wheel drive racecar? Oh that would be fun.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Garage
IMO a "stock car race" should feature stock cars: yes, have fire suppression, gutted interiors, and a roll cage, but they should have the same motor, suspension, etc. that you get from the factory. Until that happens, I'll be indifferent at best towards NASCAR.

Other cars:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Car RamRod

Anyone remember the particular year that Nascar went away from requiring the correct body style? I remember the mid 80s were still the correct style.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

i think it was around 85 86 when this happend
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I yam what I yam

I'm not sure of the year when stock cars no longer looked like stock cars.
But I do remember when Stock Car racing used stock cars for the racing.

Same can be said for Funny Cars in drag racing. They no longer look anywhere near the cars they are supposed to represent.

But I see GM has lied to us once again. Remember when they dumped Pontiac and said the G8 would not be coming back as a Chevy? Well then what is this SS?

My Rides:

'12 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Titanium Gray 5.0L 429 HP. Lovin it.

'08 Magnetic Gray Metallic Sedan. V6, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound package. Debadged, GT Rear Tail Lights, Tinted windows, 35% rear, 50% front. Royal Purple oil and K&N oil filter. (GONE Lemon Law)

'06 Harley Roadglide.
95" kit w/ custom heads and 50 mm TB. 101 HP/ 104 TQ.Lot's of custom body work as well. And it's Built by ME.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 PM

it will be nice when people ask what kind of car is that. it will be fun to say, you know the new chevy ss. its a better looking version of that car with more power(mine will be more powerful by then.)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I'm not sure of the year when stock cars no longer looked like stock cars.
But I do remember when Stock Car racing used stock cars for the racing.

Same can be said for Funny Cars in drag racing. They no longer look anywhere near the cars they are supposed to represent.

But I see GM has lied to us once again. Remember when they dumped Pontiac and said the G8 would not be coming back as a Chevy? Well then what is this SS?
Automakers lie all the time. I'm so used to it I'm just completely numb when they say things anymore.

2008 Liquid Red V6: K&N Air Filter, Commodore Tail Lamps, GM 410mm Antenna Mast, Coil Spring Rubbers for rear suspension, Pontiac Mud Guards (Winter Only), COMMODORE Badge, GM Chiclet Debadge, UK Tax Disc, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W tires, and an Interstate Battery.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Cars are my hobby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo301 View Post
IMO a "stock car race" should feature stock cars: yes, have fire suppression, gutted interiors, and a roll cage, but they should have the same motor, suspension, etc. that you get from the factory. Until that happens, I'll be indifferent at best towards NASCAR.
Could not agree more. When I watch NASCAR, I have issues getting involved. The cars are boosted in performance, then reduce in performance. It's not a skill of driving like a road course, it's a skill of wind efficiencies and team work.

While my Fiancé loves it, I find it boring and hard to get into. If they did what you asked, for them to be a true form of stock, I'd pay more attention.

I mean, how the heck is the Fusion even close to stock? Where are these V8 models? Where are the performance models with manual transmissions?

2008 G8 GT - Procharger 14PSI D1SC, Squash Double Pumper & Fuel Rails, ID725, ZR1 Map, Port & Polished w/ 4 angle heads, Forge 9.5:1, Pacesetters 1 3/4" LTH (CAT-less), Flowmaster Super 44s, X-pipe, Brembos, 3200 FTI Triple Stall, EBC rotors & yellow pads, Motegii MR120 20x9 +38 275/30s wheels, Pedders Coilovers/Swaybars, BMR Strut bar, Pat G cam/tune!

Old: 353.8
New: 632/530 Mustang Dyno
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM

Not to mention a V8 ToyLet !

2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem. SunRoof. Nav kit, Vararam,Holden badge kit,Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, VMS Tuned
2009 White Hot G8 GT;Onyx/Red,Sport/Prem,SunRoof, Nav kit,Holden badges,VMS Tuned,Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, Maggie TVS1900, Injection is Great but i love being Blown !
2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6Spd 21K Miles
2001 G/P GT
Quote:
When The People Finally Lead,The Leaders Will Follow
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 PM

you mean like this?

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz View Post

Wow... not to stereotype Alabama or anything, but I can't say I'm surprised LOL!

Other cars:
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM

Just read the article in the latest edition of AutoWeek and saw the pic (no camo) on it, and it sure made me miss my G8 GXP. It was 1 year last week that I sold her, and the 2014 Chevy SS got me reminiscing about the GXP.

SOLD: 2009 G8 GXP - A6 - PBM/Onyx w/Roof - Purchased May 2009 - #825/1829
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page