New Era Performance OTR CAI - Page 10 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
New Era Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned

Your too late, I'm the only one who entered so it's mine! lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCUSTOMPARTS View Post
I agree, I make custom aluminum parts for the W-Body cars, and everything I sell is less than $100. It takes me a couple hours to make a set of parts, and I'm sure that intake can be made in that amount of time with the right equipment. In fact I'm going to try to make one, and if it works out I'll sell them for around half that price.
What you're missing here is the fact that the G8GT is a limited production vehicle (so far) and the amount of people wanting to modify them is even smaller. So, for say a few thousand units sold/shipped, for a decently sized aftermarket company, only making $20 on each unit isn't enough. Once you take into account "engineering" hours to design the intake to work correctly, going through multiple versions to make sure its correct, dyno testing, road testing, etc... You're talking about thousands of dollars of time spent (if the time was spent elsewhere making money, time costs money) to develop this product. Also, New Era seems to stand 100% behind their products, so you know they'll take back any "faulty" product with no questions asked, as a bad rep is money lost as well.

Personally, $380 is too steep for me to spend right now (its winter). Maybe this spring I'll convince myself, but most likely, I'll wait for them to put it on sale for a little cheaper. Once it falls around $300, I'll probably scoop it up. So, while I agree with you that its very expensive, its also a little more design intensive then a series of pipes and couplers, like every other CAI.

How do I come up with this? Well, I'm a product designer. My job is to factor design/test time into the total cost of the product.
post #183 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
09 GT fully loaded

Well took the G8 to the dealership because of the issue with the altenator and the one headlight went out and then came back on. I showed the tech the new install on the NEW ERA OTR and was told that would not void my warranty. I however did use a Cortex handheld tuner on the thing and was worried that might have caused some type of electrical problem. I flashed the system back to the stock tune before taking it to them but wonder what the odds are of them finding it if they hook it up for electrical reasons.

post #184 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

If you flashed it back to stock they won't know you ever changed it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #185 of 198 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Aint First, Your last..

Finally got mine today. Installed, no real problems-directions were okay. Plug that goes to MAF just long enough to make it with out problems. Intake sounds no different than stock at idle, wot a bit more grunt. No stickers came with it. More comments after i get some miles on it.....

NEP OTR Intake
V-Badges
post #186 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Dirty Jerz

What's the reason for disconnecting the battery first ? Don't see a reason to do so.

2009 G8 GT
Stryker Blue Metallic ~ Premium w/Sunroof, VM ECM/TCM Tune, NEP OTR Intake, Borla Cat-back Exhaust & Holden Badges
post #187 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Probably since we remove the MAF connection, JUST in case......? You know, the safety factor issue?

1st Place 90 MPH Class at SORC 08/11/08 in Arnold, NE
First prototype (I think), New Era OTR CAI added, and the "total" VMS tune.
post #188 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Thats what I tell them!

I didn't disconnect the battery and I have no problems.

09' White Hot GT7
post #189 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Dirty Jerz

Just thought it was one less thing to do/worry about. I didn't see a reason too either.

2009 G8 GT
Stryker Blue Metallic ~ Premium w/Sunroof, VM ECM/TCM Tune, NEP OTR Intake, Borla Cat-back Exhaust & Holden Badges
post #190 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Banned

Electronics are very sensitive, if you unplug the MAF and a spark jumps something could get damaged. If you've ever worked inside a computer you should unplug it from the wall AND wear a grounding strap on your wrist, so static electricity doesn't zap a component.

post #191 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 PM

Those wrist strap things suck. Just keep a hand on the case to keep you grounded with the thing unplugged. If I can ever find a dealer around here to pass along the dealer cash and get the car, I MAY have a superflow bench available for delta P measurements if you want to really see if your designs are less restrictive.
post #192 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

We have already tested our designs.

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/Images/small%20stickermetal0%20half%20size.JPG

www.neweraperformanceparts.com
If you want your G8 to go fast, check out our website.

08 G8GT with New Era DOD cam - [email protected]
post #193 of 198 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCUSTOMPARTS View Post
Electronics are very sensitive, if you unplug the MAF and a spark jumps something could get damaged. If you've ever worked inside a computer you should unplug it from the wall AND wear a grounding strap on your wrist, so static electricity doesn't zap a component.
Normal electronics are typically sensitive. Automotive grade electronics are designed to be able to handle large voltage transients, due to the harsh environment they live in. Not as big of a deal. now, if you go take apart the sensors/computers, that's a different story. If they're in their stock housings, its typically not an issue.
post #194 of 198 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 PM

Where can I get a New Era Performance decal from?
post #195 of 198 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygreek89 View Post
Where can I get a New Era Performance decal from?

send us an email at [email protected] with your mailing address and we will send you one.

AEROFORCE SCANGAUGE SALE!!!!!
New Era Performance

1322 Buffalo Road
Rochester, NY 14624
(585)865-1832

post #196 of 198 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 PM

howdy I just put my NEP OTR CAI on and was wondering... As far as tuning with my cortex, is it better to leave it on stock 91 or to get the vararam tune?
post #197 of 198 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Site Sponsor

Your best bet is a dyno tune. Or a tune custom for our intake, not a vararam.

AEROFORCE SCANGAUGE SALE!!!!!
New Era Performance

1322 Buffalo Road
Rochester, NY 14624
(585)865-1832

post #198 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM

This is a great intake I like mine a lot these cars love an OTR Intake...having said that after my visit to Australia last month and seeing the extra width for air to be collected makes me wonder how much more HP could be achieved from our New Era intake if they had a similar design...Grower intakes are very popular on Holden Commodores back home Down Under But....They are double the price /// Value for money we have a great deal with New Era....

...Live Fast...It Won't Last....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page