My official G8 GXP Build thread. Updated as the car gets updated - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Gay Pontiac-Buick-GMC Dickinson (Houston), TX

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Approved Dealer

Garage
Nino, thanks for the pics on the scoop mod. Looks great and I imagine it will help get some cool air in. In looks well done!

Joe Morgan, G8 GXP Registry Organizer, G.O.N.E. Organizer 2010-2013
2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), 12.344 @ 110.92 with 1.688 60' at 766' DA, PB with new cam & tune - 12.191 @ 112.35 with 1.693 60' at 1319', 2:59 lap time at Road America on RS-As, 143.1298 mph NoFlyZoneMidwest 2017 1/2 mile into 20 mph headwind. RACECAR NOW RETIRED. All of these are final PBs.

VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, Heater Hose Relocate, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Comp Cams 224/228 .581"/.588" 112 LSA cam, LS7 lifters, PAC 1219x springs, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Camaro 1LE Diff with 3.91 gears, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, 2017 Chevy SS front & rear Brembo calipers and rotors.
1 of only 10 built in this combo (1 of 4 this combo with RS-As)& #1497 built of the 1829
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Mr. Bueno : No, I had one of the tecdh at works handle it for me. But to be honest. It looks easy on this car. The hardest part would be sliding everything in/out from under the car. But especially with these SLP's it all looks like cake. I dont think I lost any ground clearance (as I said this mounts in the factory location on the midpipe.)

bracketracer : Thanks. Its not perfect yet, but it will be. Ill even add some mesh grill to it to reduce any "creatures" or road debris getting in. LOL
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

SLP Axlebacks came in today...and went on today

They fit like a glove, just as good as the headers whih I expected. The tip, which was my main reason for choosing this set looks perfec in the openings and in my opinion more OEM than OEM.

The biggest bonus however was when I started the car...Needlss to say, you need to hear it for yourself. Im in love. The perfect cross of Muscle car and euro performance car is the only way to describe it.

Im so happy with the sound I am uncertain if I want to tamper with the midpipe now. Next, dyno, tune and then back to the track to see if I can embarass myself any worse.

SLP kit

OEM, I wonder if I saved any weight?

Installed

Sounds

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM

Nino...you are starting to make me want to drop some bucks on my GXP! haha any luck on the ZR1 switch?

ONE, TWO, THREE...BURN RUBBER!
09 GXP A6; MSM/Onyx/Red; Sunroof,Clear Bra, NO MODS...yet?
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I could've had a GXP

Wow Nino that sounds really really nice! A midpipe would / could make it sound worst! Personally I wouldn't change a thing.

2002 Collector Edition Trans Am A4
2001 Tahoe 4wd
1979 10th Trans Am 4spd.
2011 Cadillac CTS-V A6
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

LOL

Not trying to make anyone spend any money, just sharing.

I might just pull a fast and furious stunt and put ZR1 badges on it...

after the maggie that is.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:58 AM

That does sound pretty nice! When you are mildly cruising around with light throttle do you think these changes are noticably louder (dB) then the the original stock system?

09 G8 GXP SRM 6M (no sunroof) SOLD
17 SS NGM 6M (no sunroof, spare)
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

only a noticeable difference when below 16-1800 rpms and very light throttle. But even then I compare it to what my M5 used to sound like.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Houston GTG Dude

I want one too

hey nino, I'm looking for a Manual with sunroof and onyx interior with silver ext., when ever you get some manuals in let me know. Thanx
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Got my Roto-Fab account and ordered a handful of intakes and now I have one on my car. (and several sitting here)

I must say, perfect like OEM fitment, Great instructions, and the quality is awesome!

Let me add... The sound is an added bonus as well.

Tuning should be done on Thursday. Hopefully I can break the 420 mark ATW's.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-09-2009 at 04:33 PM.
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Got my Roto-Fab account and ordered a handful of intakes and now I have one on my car. (and several sitting here)

I must say, perfect like OEM fitment, Great instructions, and the quality is awesome!

Let me add... The sound is an added bonus as well.

Tuning should be done on Thursday. Hopefully I can break the 420 mark ATW's.
Agreed...I finally just installed mine today and after stock, a Volant, stock again, and Orssom OTR from Oz, stock again, etc. the Roto-Fab is awesome. Fits and looks like OEM, AND, unlike others so far, gives the car a distinct sound that's not just under hard throttle. Love it. Especially with the VMS tune modded for it that I flashed in at the same time. Finally, the sound, feel, design, fit, etc. I'm happy with.

Even better, the Roto-Fab radiator cover is another beautiful piece, and really cleaned the look up dramatically--again, like OEM, but better.

2009 G8 GT - Sold...
Pacific Slate/Onyx, Premium/Sport - 3M Clear Bra, 20% Rear Tint, GM Trunk Mat, Dimming Mirror, Holden VE Rubber Floor Mats, VMS TCM & 93 ECM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Pedders Bushings, Holden 6.0L Badges, GrafxWerks Badge Overlays, GXP Front Fascia & Rear Diffuser, JHP GPS Kit & Garmin, BP Catch Can, FE3/GXP Dampers, Corsa Cat-Back, GY Eagle GT Tires, GM Accessory Shift Knob
MPGTune.com Mileage History
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Where's those dyno results Nino? Are you going to dyno it before AND after the tune, to prove how much you got from the hardware and what came from the tune? Also, which tune are you applying? Or will a local shop roll their own for you?

I ask because I'm very strongly considering a CAI and tune for my GT, but it has to be no-muss no-fuss, and I really don't want the car to be any louder either, so I most likely won't do any exhaust work. So I figure CAI and tune is about the limit of what I'll want to do for now, and I'm reading opinions and hoping I can find a combo that works good and isn't too expensive.

Last edited by flensr; 05-10-2009 at 09:36 AM.
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Im going to the place I originally dynoed so I can get a true and exact gain from parts, and then from tuning compred to what the stock pulls got me.

We will be doing a custom tune with HP tuners. Hopefully I can get the tune thurs and then hit the track friday for some runs and see if I can improve my driving.

Then, I should be able to get the Maggie ordered and Ill be swapping to Kook's headers and midpipe, installing injectors and an upgraded fuel pump and re-tuning to get over the 600 hump atw. (crosses fingers)

Im also getting ready to take the plunge on some CTS-v wheels.
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM

Sounds like fun. I'd love to boost mine but I don't have the time or $$$ even assuming everything goes well and nothing breaks down the road. One of the conditions my wife and I set when I bought the GT was that it wouldn't become a continual money or time consumer... That's why I figure CAI and tune are probably all I can get away with for now. Maybe in a few years (and after I mow the dang lawn) I can hang a blower on it. My Dad just put a supercharger on his 10th anniversary miata and he's having so much fun with it that I really had to hold myself back from putting a blower on my trans-am instead of buying the G8
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:30 PM

Gee... Nino... watcha gonna do with the other Rotofabs you have?

'09 Silver GT
Mods to date: 93 octane, Rotofab CAI, Holden trunk liner & matching Holden umbrella
Mods short-term: spare tire kit, radiator cover
Mods long-term: exhaust, tune
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flensr View Post
Where's those dyno results Nino? Are you going to dyno it before AND after the tune, to prove how much you got from the hardware and what came from the tune? Also, which tune are you applying? Or will a local shop roll their own for you?

I ask because I'm very strongly considering a CAI and tune for my GT, but it has to be no-muss no-fuss, and I really don't want the car to be any louder either, so I most likely won't do any exhaust work. So I figure CAI and tune is about the limit of what I'll want to do for now, and I'm reading opinions and hoping I can find a combo that works good and isn't too expensive.
Just as an FYI, my Rotofab CAI made the engine sound A LOT louder when driving her hard. However still pretty much sounds the same under normal driving.

-Q

2009 PBM - Premium, Sport, Roof, Red Leather. (1SD)
GO:
Superchips Tune
RotoFab CAI
Magnaflow 'Street Series' Cat Back
SHOW:
20% rear tint
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:18 AM

I was very surprised by the sound of my Accord's engine after I installed my AEM CAI. Nothing until 3k rpm, then a lot of noise. I almost took the CAI off but decided not to. MPG on my Accord went up a couple, that was unexpected. It's amazing how much noise baffle a stock intake provides.

I am so looking forward to putting on a Rotofab.

Anywho...

'09 Silver GT
Mods to date: 93 octane, Rotofab CAI, Holden trunk liner & matching Holden umbrella
Mods short-term: spare tire kit, radiator cover
Mods long-term: exhaust, tune
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Just as an FYI, my Rotofab CAI made the engine sound A LOT louder when driving her hard. However still pretty much sounds the same under normal driving.
-Q
Thanks, that's good to know. I think I can live with more engine noise when driving hard, I just don't want more overall noise all the time like you often get with exhaust work. I made a BAD choice with my trans-am and ended up with fairly loud drone as low as 1400rpm even with the throttle barely open. Yea it sounds awesome at WOT, but it is too loud during daily driving at cruise too. So that's what I'd like to avoid with the G8, hoping for it to remain quiet during daily driving and at freeway cruise. If it wakes up a bit when I put my foot in it, that's ok
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post

-Q
Absolutely, positively agree. Normal driving, as expected, not greatly different. Any harder throttle, or really hard throttle, it's suddenly lets out a roar so deep and mean it scared me the first time yesterday...had to do it again this morning, just for fun, though

Had a deeper growl with my brief Volant stint and the same with an OTR from Oz, but nothing at all like with the Roto. And I like the way it feels in every way, too, more than any other--the VMS tune to match is probably the biggest help there, though.

2009 G8 GT - Sold...
Pacific Slate/Onyx, Premium/Sport - 3M Clear Bra, 20% Rear Tint, GM Trunk Mat, Dimming Mirror, Holden VE Rubber Floor Mats, VMS TCM & 93 ECM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Pedders Bushings, Holden 6.0L Badges, GrafxWerks Badge Overlays, GXP Front Fascia & Rear Diffuser, JHP GPS Kit & Garmin, BP Catch Can, FE3/GXP Dampers, Corsa Cat-Back, GY Eagle GT Tires, GM Accessory Shift Knob
MPGTune.com Mileage History
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I got a reasonable tune complete today.

Is it up to my standards, maybe not, but it did the job and got me over 400 ATW. I feel as it there is alot left, but time more than nything limited what I could get done and my inability to get the components I needed from HP Tuners myself forced me to have it done by someone else.

Car feels much stronger across the power band and I think the IAT's have alot to do with the fact that we didn't get as much as we expected from it. A little more work could make it easly over 420 IMHO, but Im just not that interested in fumping hundreds of dollors into tuning when I know Im going Maggie.

So, heres the chart.

Dyno'd at the same place I got my baseline done.

Baseline was 365 ATW and now before the tune we have 382 with a rotofab, SLP 1 3/4 headers and SLP axlebacks. Not bad.

After Tuning, 402 ATW

The strongest pull on video

The dyno chart. Pre-tune and tune pulls.

I also attribute a good portion of the lower than expected numbers to the factory midpipe and small Cats included with the headers. But that will all be corrected with the Kooks setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page