Complete List of 2009.5 Changes (VS 2009) - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 AM

Just found this thread and have one small addition. Not exactly sure what models HAVE it but I know my 2009.5 does NOT. The sunroof control in the 2009.5 requires the user to press the button while the sunroof opens to the selected position. In earlier models that I test drove, you simply turn the dial and the sunroof automatically opens to the selected setting.

I checked with the parts guy at my dealer a couple weeks back to see if there was a different part number but he couldn't find anything. Not that it doesn't exist...in fact, if anyone happens to know or can find it, I'd love to switch mine for the automatic control.

2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT - SRM w/ sunroof, P&S packages
Vararam, Corsa cat-back, hood vent mod, engine cover removed
30% window tinting, LED tail & reverse lights, GXP diffuser, amp mod, VG Sharkfin, CTS auto-dim mirror

Finally broken in...now it's time to go for broke (or go broke)!!!
Check my fuel mileage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thats actually a late 2009 MY change, not a 2009.5 unfortunately the entire sunroof module changed. We can get the 2008 module if you'd like and you can swap it in with no other changes.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellersAutoSport View Post
Thats actually a late 2009 MY change, not a 2009.5 unfortunately the entire sunroof module changed. We can get the 2008 module if you'd like and you can swap it in with no other changes.
Wait, I thought the 'old' module was unobtainable unless you can find one in a scrap yard. There are a ton of us who want the one touch feature. You can get these? If so how much?

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
We are trying to complile a list of changes to help people better understand the MANY changes that were done to the 2009.5MY Vehicles that mostly go unnoticed now but may matter in the future. If you know of a difference that isnt mentioned here please let us know.

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)
Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom
Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
New Camshaft for L76 (Unverified physically but very likely)
New Diameter for foul air passage
Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP
Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)

Where exactly are these rear cup holders?
And can someone expand on the acronyms?
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
They are in the rear seat, right in the middle. You push on them to pop them out. If you don't see anything, you don't have them.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:20 PM

The 6M trans has changed. The front houseing is different. The bearing on the input shaft prutrudes out with a beveled shoulder.
The old bearing is flush with the houseing. A problem for after market throw out bearing. I have been waiting 2 months for McCleod to desine one. It is in the proto type stage now. Who knows how long it will be. McCleod has several other customers waiting. Oh well, shoulden't ahve blowen the clutch.
Wally
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
And can someone expand on the acronyms?
ECM - Engine Control Module
TCM - Transmission Control Module
BCM - Body Control Module
IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
VCIM - Vehicle Communications Interface Module

ECM -
The engine control module (ECM) is a type of electronic control unit that determines the amount of fuel, ignition timing and other parameters an internal combustion engine needs to keep running. It does this by reading values from multidimensional performance maps (so called LUTs), using input values (e.g. engine speed) calculated from signals coming from sensor devices monitoring the engine.

TCM -
The transmission control module or TCM is a device that controls modern electronic automatic transmissions. A TCM generally uses sensors from the vehicle as well as data provided by the Engine Control Module to calculate how and when to change gears in the vehicle for optimum performance, fuel economy and shift quality.

BCM -
A body control module is a computer component in an automobile that checks, regulates and operates electronic devices throughout the car. When electric devices first began being used in cars and trucks, each device had a separate electric component to govern it. There was a module for the air conditioning, a module for the interior lighting, a module for the door locks and so forth. A body control module gathers all these separate modules under one system so that they function together instead of separately, a format easier to both manufacture and troubleshoot.

While there are many different types of body control modules, they are generally alike, connecting sensors, switches and automatic reactions together in one computer system. These components are divided into inputs, such as sensor data about heat or speed, and outputs, or ways in which the body control module computer responds to control the vehicle's electronic functions. Inputs and outputs are further divided into analog and digital types of information, analog signals being used with modules that may change continuously (such as oil pressure) and digital signals being used for modules that can simply be on or off (like the headlights or the oil indication light).

IPC -
Self-explanatory

VCIM -
This control system can monitor numerous categories and types of data during operation of the vehicle. The control system can receive signals from one or more velocity sensors to monitor vehicle speed, from one or more lateral acceleration sensors to monitor vehicle stability, from diagnostic sensors to monitor conditions such as temperature, pressure, and engine revolutions per minute. Also, the control system can monitor serial/parallel data as well as analog/digitalsignals
The control system can also execute several different types of commands. For example, the control system can receive input from the driver and control the functions of an entertainment system of the vehicle. Also, the control system receive signals from vehicle sensors and execute commands. For example, the controller can receive a signal from a windshield rain sensor corresponding to rain and control the windshield wipers to engage.

post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Run Red Run

Quote:
We are trying to complile a list of changes to help people better understand the MANY changes that were done to the 2009.5MY Vehicles that mostly go unnoticed now but may matter in the future. If you know of a difference that isnt mentioned here please let us know.

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)
Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom
Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
New Camshaft for L76 (Unverified physically but very likely)
New Diameter for foul air passage
Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP
Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)
What makes you think the 2009.5 has a different camshaft for the L76 engine?
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhaps View Post
ECM - Engine Control Module
TCM - Transmission Control Module
BCM - Body Control Module
IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
VCIM - Vehicle Communications Interface Module

ECM -
The engine control module (ECM) is a type of electronic control unit that determines the amount of fuel, ignition timing and other parameters an internal combustion engine needs to keep running. It does this by reading values from multidimensional performance maps (so called LUTs), using input values (e.g. engine speed) calculated from signals coming from sensor devices monitoring the engine.

TCM -
The transmission control module or TCM is a device that controls modern electronic automatic transmissions. A TCM generally uses sensors from the vehicle as well as data provided by the Engine Control Module to calculate how and when to change gears in the vehicle for optimum performance, fuel economy and shift quality.

BCM -
A body control module is a computer component in an automobile that checks, regulates and operates electronic devices throughout the car. When electric devices first began being used in cars and trucks, each device had a separate electric component to govern it. There was a module for the air conditioning, a module for the interior lighting, a module for the door locks and so forth. A body control module gathers all these separate modules under one system so that they function together instead of separately, a format easier to both manufacture and troubleshoot.

While there are many different types of body control modules, they are generally alike, connecting sensors, switches and automatic reactions together in one computer system. These components are divided into inputs, such as sensor data about heat or speed, and outputs, or ways in which the body control module computer responds to control the vehicle's electronic functions. Inputs and outputs are further divided into analog and digital types of information, analog signals being used with modules that may change continuously (such as oil pressure) and digital signals being used for modules that can simply be on or off (like the headlights or the oil indication light).

IPC -
Self-explanatory

VCIM -
This control system can monitor numerous categories and types of data during operation of the vehicle. The control system can receive signals from one or more velocity sensors to monitor vehicle speed, from one or more lateral acceleration sensors to monitor vehicle stability, from diagnostic sensors to monitor conditions such as temperature, pressure, and engine revolutions per minute. Also, the control system can monitor serial/parallel data as well as analog/digitalsignals
The control system can also execute several different types of commands. For example, the control system can receive input from the driver and control the functions of an entertainment system of the vehicle. Also, the control system receive signals from vehicle sensors and execute commands. For example, the controller can receive a signal from a windshield rain sensor corresponding to rain and control the windshield wipers to engage.

Thanks...that is some major changes to the electronics controlling the cars...were things not performing well before that GM felt the need to make so many changes to a car that was dying.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Tin Indian

Garage
Interesting. I don't have Bluetooth, I don't have the cupholders. I DO have the additional pup cats in the exhaust after the center resonator in the exhaust. Maybe i have a 2009.25 model year (LOL)

1967 Firebird 400/4spd all numbers matching
1965 Pontiac GTO 389 4bbl 4sp.
1971 Camaro Pro ET Drag Car
1970 Camaro real Z-28
1963 Impala Super Sport 409 dual quad 4 spd
1967 Chevelle SS396 4sp clone
2009 White Pontiac G8 GT.........shockingly stock.
(My wife says I have a problem)
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 AM

What exactly is this instant MPG? I know for sure I have a 2009.5 because of the Bluetooth, the rear cupholders and the easier addition of the rear GXP valance but I DO NOT have the instant MPG. When I cycle through the menus on the DIC and I come to MPG, it seems like it refreshes every 15 seconds or so. Pretty weird if you ask me. My 2007 Mustang GT had a true instant MPG that would update precisely on the fly.
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygreek89 View Post
What exactly is this instant MPG? I know for sure I have a 2009.5 because of the Bluetooth, the rear cupholders and the easier addition of the rear GXP valance but I DO NOT have the instant MPG. When I cycle through the menus on the DIC and I come to MPG, it seems like it refreshes every 15 seconds or so. Pretty weird if you ask me. My 2007 Mustang GT had a true instant MPG that would update precisely on the fly.

A new feature only available on 2009.5 G8's with the new code.

https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19632

I tried begging the dealership to upgrade my 2009.1 code to 2009.5 code way back when, but due to incompatibilities between them, it was impossible.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 AM
LS is More

The instant MPG is hidden away in the Engineering Mode of the DIC. You have to press and hold the left scroll wheel/button on the steering wheel while turning on the car to get to it.

Not very convenient.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT SBM Sport & Premium w/ Sunroof & Bluetooth - My Tune (HP Tuners), Rotofab CAI, HSRK, Corsa CB, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH, Kooks Catted connectors
1987 VW Scirocco 16V - Stock
1985 Buick Grand National - Not Stock
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks...that is some major changes to the electronics controlling the cars...were things not performing well before that GM felt the need to make so many changes to a car that was dying.
Ya gotta wonder what was in store for 2010 model year. I already know that the "GTPPrix Triple digital Atari gauges" were slated for the GXP trim level for 2010. Others have commented that the Base Sedan would have gotten the DI (V6 camaro) 3.6L V6, capable of achieving 27+mph highway.

Most of these computer changes throughout model years can be due to limitations found in existing designs, supplier/parts supply issues, or preparation of new features for an upcoming model year within the existing model cycle.

It all comes down to, such a shame that the G8 only had a short 2 year lifespan. So much potential. But, on the bright side, that's what makes our cars unique. Here's to the Chevy SS of 2014.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 AM
LS is More

Ooops, I didn't realize it's just on the 2009.5's. Nevermind!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT SBM Sport & Premium w/ Sunroof & Bluetooth - My Tune (HP Tuners), Rotofab CAI, HSRK, Corsa CB, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH, Kooks Catted connectors
1987 VW Scirocco 16V - Stock
1985 Buick Grand National - Not Stock
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
I already know that the "GTPPrix Triple digital Atari gauges" were slated for the GXP trim level for 2010.
Those were canceled completely, if they HAD made it they would have been on the GXP from the get go.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 PM

...I recently saw a GT with cup holder in the rear seat and the last 6 of the VIN are 178xxx ??
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Mod-a-Holic

Post Timing Chain Tensioner - Complete List of 2009.5 Changes

Aegis,

You made a comment about nylon tensioners for timing chains in GM small blocks for years. You said go the "direct gear" route. Are you referring to (DOHC) dual overhead cam versus the single cam in block that are the majority of GM small blocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Nylon has been in use on the GM small block for decades. If you run a high perf engine, you want to go the direct gear route.

Last edited by fluidfalcon; 05-31-2010 at 09:54 PM.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 AM

GM typically changes a part number when their has been an engineering change.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 AM

After reading all these upgrades, I'm hesitant to buy a G8 that isn't a 2009.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page