Complete List of 2009.5 Changes (VS 2009) - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Seller's Auto Sport

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 142
Complete List of 2009.5 Changes (VS 2009)

We are trying to complile a list of changes to help people better understand the MANY changes that were done to the 2009.5MY Vehicles that mostly go unnoticed now but may matter in the future. If you know of a difference that isnt mentioned here please let us know.

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)
Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom
Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
New Camshaft for L76 (Unverified physically but very likely)
New Diameter for foul air passage
Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP
Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)

Sellers Auto Sport
www.sellersautosport.com
The best in New Vehicle Sales and Service combined with the best of the Aftermarket!

Last edited by SellersAutoSport; 10-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.
SellersAutoSport is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
ThatFreakBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wewahitchka, FL
Posts: 125
Great list, though I'd love to see more information for each point. For instance, all the new engine parts: are the new parts better parts, just part number changes, or did GM just find a new, cheaper part that, physically/mechanically/performance-wise, is basically the same as the old parts, etc.

First the 2009 production breakdowns and now this: keep the great information coming :-)


2009.0 Pacific Slate Metallic G8 GT
(Sport + Premium)
GM Cargo Tray Covercraft Heat Shield
Painted Wheel Center Caps
Intake Cover Removed
ThatFreakBob is offline  
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,625
Other than the Bluetooth, I'd like to know what all the changes to the Control Systems did.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner



Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
J Wikoff is offline  
 
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:02 PM
LS is More
 
esinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 545
Cool list, thanks for sharing!


2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT SBM Sport & Premium w/ Sunroof & Bluetooth - My Tune (HP Tuners), Rotofab CAI, HSRK, Corsa CB, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH, Kooks Catted connectors
1987 VW Scirocco 16V - Stock
1985 Buick Grand National - Not Stock
esinger is offline  
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,625
What's an IPC?

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner



Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
J Wikoff is offline  
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
mongosG8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Connecticut,
Posts: 1,343
With all these updates it makes me wonder if my 2009 parts were having problems...hmmmmm?? Typical...They just couldn't update this for all of 2009?
mongosG8 is offline  
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18
What do I have?

I have some of the mods like the GXP rear valance fit. But I dont have the cup holders. How do I identify if I have a 2009.5 or early model?
Dukeofpg is offline  
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeofpg View Post
I have some of the mods like the GXP rear valance fit. But I dont have the cup holders. How do I identify if I have a 2009.5 or early model?
You just did. 09.5s get cupholders on the rear seat cushion.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner



Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
J Wikoff is offline  
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SellersAutoSport View Post
We are trying to complile a list of changes to help people better understand the MANY changes that were done to the 2009.5MY Vehicles that mostly go unnoticed now but may matter in the future. If you know of a difference that isnt mentioned here please let us know.

Control Systems:
ECM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
TCM (GT/GXP Share Same New OS)
BCM (New 09.5 Calibration with many subsystem changes)
IPC (Totally New Hardware/Calibration NOT Compatible with 08/09)
Radio (New Part # for Face and Unit)
VCIM (New Part to add Bluetooth)
Interior:
Cup Holders Added To Rear Seat Bottom
Engine:
New Valley Plate/Oil Module for L76
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
Exhaust:
Additional Two Pup Cats Added to Mid Pipe Section for GT/GXP
Body:
Rear fascia retooled for GXP Style Valence (may have happened earlier in 09 not sure)
Any possible elaboration on that?



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Perhaps is offline  
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bryan/College Station, Texas
Posts: 242
I am a new G8 GT owner and just realized that there is a difference between 2009 and 2009.5 after reading this post. What really gets me is that the dealer couldn't have mentioned this to me. They obviously sold me the 2009 version as mine doesn't have the rear cupholders. I mean it isn't really that big of a deal, but since I am buying a brand new car, I want the newest available...ya know...
andrewv28 is offline  
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Administrator
 
zepcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,244
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
What's an IPC?
Instrumentation panel cluster, I believe.

(2009.5 version is required) for engineering mode GPH and MPG-instant. Us older folks have no option to upgrade.

https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19632


2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
zepcom is offline  
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Derek98z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Raymore, MO
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewv28 View Post
I am a new G8 GT owner and just realized that there is a difference between 2009 and 2009.5 after reading this post. What really gets me is that the dealer couldn't have mentioned this to me. They obviously sold me the 2009 version as mine doesn't have the rear cupholders. I mean it isn't really that big of a deal, but since I am buying a brand new car, I want the newest available...ya know...
You would have noticed when comparing the price on equally equipped cars. GM raised the prices at least once due to price of materials. This is another reason I searched to find an 09 rather than 09.5 because the same car was like $900 less.
Derek98z is offline  
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 7
Thanks for the 2009.5 list

Thanks for the list. How did you find the information??
pontiacb2 is offline  
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
I am looking into buying a new 2009 G8 GT. Is there an easy way to identify if a 2009 G8 GT is a 2009.5? I am llooking fo a possible VIN # split. I know I can look at the cup holders and the price but I was looking for something more definitive.

Also, What is the prospect of additional cars being imported over the next 6 mohts with the demise of Pontiac?

Any other recommendations while looking for this car?
Boweryboy is offline  
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,625
Cupholders are definitive for 09.5. So is saying Bluetooth on the window sticker if it's new. All of the G8's are here.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner



Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
J Wikoff is offline  
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Delaware
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boweryboy View Post
I am looking into buying a new 2009 G8 GT. Is there an easy way to identify if a 2009 G8 GT is a 2009.5? I am llooking fo a possible VIN # split. I know I can look at the cup holders and the price but I was looking for something more definitive.

Also, What is the prospect of additional cars being imported over the next 6 mohts with the demise of Pontiac?

Any other recommendations while looking for this car?
Very easy: the vin. If the last 6 digits of the vin start with a 3 (i.e. 3xxxxx), then and only then is it a 2009.5. Otherwise 2009 vins have a 1 or a 2. So the changes above or simply look at the vin, and you'll know.

2009 G8 GT - Sold...
Pacific Slate/Onyx, Premium/Sport - 3M Clear Bra, 20% Rear Tint, GM Trunk Mat, Dimming Mirror, Holden VE Rubber Floor Mats, VMS TCM & 93 ECM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Pedders Bushings, Holden 6.0L Badges, GrafxWerks Badge Overlays, GXP Front Fascia & Rear Diffuser, JHP GPS Kit & Garmin, BP Catch Can, FE3/GXP Dampers, Corsa Cat-Back, GY Eagle GT Tires, GM Accessory Shift Knob
MPGTune.com Mileage History
beach is offline  
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Senior Member
 
T-Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niles, IL.
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boweryboy View Post
Also, What is the prospect of additional cars being imported over the next 6 mohts with the demise of Pontiac?

zippo, nada, notgonnahappen...... What's supposed to come here is here already.

As to recommendations - if you want Bluetooth, get a 2009.5. Otherwise get the oldest one you can find - you'll save a couple hundred bucks. There was 2009, 2009.1 and 2009.5.
T-Type is offline  
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacb2 View Post
Thanks for the list. How did you find the information??
It's compiled from our experience mainly things we've noticed personally and being noted in the parts catalog.

Sellers Auto Sport
www.sellersautosport.com
The best in New Vehicle Sales and Service combined with the best of the Aftermarket!
SellersAutoSport is offline  
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Ephesians1_4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhaps View Post
Any possible elaboration on that?

I think if you run a search on timing chain tensioner you will see. The older ones are plastic, and break easily. The problem with this whole deal is that its down into the engine and you can't see it unless you have the front of the engine taken apart, or you have some sort of special scope.

Another problem they found is that when it breaks, you really don't know, and then all of a sudden your timing chain starts acting up, not sure if this can damage the engine. There's alot of info out there on it, I believe it might be on the GTO website....you'll know when you see it, its a yellow piece of plastic, crappy design, that's why it was changed.

Truth is absolute. John 14:6
Ephesians1_4 is offline  
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: S. Jersey
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephesians1_4 View Post
I think if you run a search on timing chain tensioner you will see. The older ones are plastic, and break easily. The problem with this whole deal is that its down into the engine and you can't see it unless you have the front of the engine taken apart, or you have some sort of special scope.

Another problem they found is that when it breaks, you really don't know, and then all of a sudden your timing chain starts acting up, not sure if this can damage the engine. There's alot of info out there on it, I believe it might be on the GTO website....you'll know when you see it, its a yellow piece of plastic, crappy design, that's why it was changed.
Nylon has been in use on the GM small block for decades. If you run a high perf engine, you want to go the direct gear route.
Aegis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome