New G8 owner. Small issues and questions? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Newbie/Introduction Forum How to post pics and other technical marvels

1Likes
  • 1 Post By tchr49

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

New G8 owner. Small issues and questions?

Hi folks,

My name is Max, I am a 26 year old Mechanical Engineer in LA who just upgraded from a 1999 4Runner to a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Quite the upgrade!

I want to be as responsible and as diligent an owner as I can. So here I am! I am not nearly knowledgeable enough to be called "a car guy" yet. But I'm working on it!

I'm not sure if the following belongs in this forum. I see there are many subdivided forums, but I am about as newbie as can be, so please direct me to the right page if necessary.

My first issue happened immediately. I had the error code read and got the error "P0521". If my research is correct, I need to get a new ACDelco 12616646 around $15. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the XL metric socket that it requires.

I don't have much room for tools in my LA apartment. Should I get the socket and replace it myself? Or in your opinion, is it worth taking it to a shop?

The second issue happened today on my way to work. The alternator light turned on and off around 3 or 4 times. It's hot, I had AC, and the speakers going. Is that enough to make the G8's electrics tremble? Or do I have a bigger issue?

Thank you all in advance for reading and providing any guidance or help.

P.S. Suggestions of LA shops please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:59 PM

most parts stores have a loan a tool program. However to do any work on a car you'll need to start building your set. I good set of sockets short and deep shouldn't take too much room and will allow you to do most jobs. Even if you bought cheaper harbor freight stuff, it's usually good for the little amount of hell you'll put them through.

You can also have your alt tested at those stores before you go to the trouble of replacing it. same goes for the battery. But first check the obvious with the connections to the battery in the trunk.

assuming you bought it private party and not a dealer, which would include some limited warranty?

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Welcome to the forum. Current mileage on the G8? A fresh oil change and filter might be beneficial especially if none done recently. Local parts supply store should sell, rent, or loan the necessary socket. PO521 (see below)
https://www.g8board.com/forums/42-ca...-vs-p0521.html
https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...-disaster.html
https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...ode-again.html
https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...-pressure.html
https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...w-oil-psi.html
https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tec...mance-dtc.html

Alternator... 1. Check connections for corrosion, snugness, etc. 2. Have it tested either while on or off the car.
Check the battery connections for corrosion, tightness, etc. A bad battery ground bolt can cause a whole slew of issues. https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech-lounge/224746-battery-ground-bolt-read-check-yours.html Good luck.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Since finding out that *this* can cause a P0521, you should at least go get an oil an filter change. I know that doesn't make much sense, but doing that actually corrected that fault code condition in my car. That looks to be the correct P/N for the oil pressure sensor, as long as your car is not an 09MY serial numbered car. Those cars have VIN serial numbers starting at 300000 an up. A parts manufacturer *LISLE* makes specialty tools, an sells a dedicated socket made for these oil pressure sensors # 13250 for about 7 dollars. Cheap enough even if you only use it once. But nice if a friend (trying to R an R a GM sensor) needs a tool like that. That sensor (in my opinion) is very easy to change (once you figure out the unlocking an release of the connector)

I think you should get into the Engineering page, scroll down to the battery voltage display line, an watch the voltage output for a time. You would like to see something like 14.7 volts. As the battery reaches full charge condition, it most likely will throttle back the voltage towards something around the 13 volt area. If the Alternator is gong south on you (which is what it sounds like to me), that voltage will most likely drop down into the 11 volt area.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response folks,

It has 90k miles

I believe the filters were changed directly before I got it but I'll check that and when the last oil change was.

If that doesn't clear it, I'll check the SN to be sure I buy the right sensor. I'll also get that tool which was recommended. Maybe a full set after I move in a month. I'll start building my collection.

As far as the alternator goes. It sounds like there are a number of quick fixes to check off before I go and get a new one.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Weinstein View Post
Thanks for the quick response folks,

It has 90k miles

I believe the filters were changed directly before I got it but I'll check that and when the last oil change was.
If it was me, codes or not I'd do a fresh oil and filter change. I know it's not cheap on these 6.0 L engines but it's good piece of mind. Now you KNOW it's done and when it needs to be done next. Plus you can be sure you get some good oil in there as well.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 PM
every village has one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
If it was me, codes or not I'd do a fresh oil and filter change. I know it's not cheap on these 6.0 L engines but it's good piece of mind. Now you KNOW it's done and when it needs to be done next. Plus you can be sure you get some good oil in there as well.
Get yourself a good synthetic
Belo likes this.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page