Interesting new product from Superchips -- Android phone support! - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Superchips

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:56 PM

I think the vivid e/t's use a mixture of both the gps and monitoring too but it won't work at all without the GPS on I don't think. Mine has the option to choose a full standing mile. I just need to go find me a super smooth straight road first.

Sent from my Samsung GS11 Skyrocket

09 S/P MSM G8 Gt - 12k hid's, Michelin super sports,
Mods - Slp powerflo, mid-muff delete w/ x pipe, SC vivid linq
1/8et - [email protected] [email protected]

96 SWB Z71 - Blue, stock wheels on 33 bfg's
Mods - 387ci stroker, dart 200cc pro1 heads,
Comp .230dur .595lift cam, supercomp headers etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Garage
Hell yeah! ill have to look and see if they have that on Torque too. theres all kinda of plugins, I just downloaded a camera that superimposes all your guage readings on the screen as you film. Ill post up some vids sometime... Guess we pretty much highjacked this thread lol, sorry Mods!!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeqshnr View Post
Hell yeah! ill have to look and see if they have that on Torque too. theres all kinda of plugins, I just downloaded a camera that superimposes all your guage readings on the screen as you film. Ill post up some vids sometime... Guess we pretty much highjacked this thread lol, sorry Mods!!
Does you're torque app display oil pressure readings? mine doesn't so I have no way of checking oil pressure since mines 09 so I don't have the atari gauges

this was one thing I didn't understand about my car before buying it was there was no oil pressure gauge and its a performance car my old s10 even had it

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom
I wouldn't necessarily use it to "tune" my car, but some of the other features are nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnbruno View Post
Why not? I've owned one for 2 months and it works awesome. Does everything the cortex does plus more.
I realize I never answered this question.... I started with the oldskool cortex, but after my mods bypassed simple CAI boltons, I outgrew the capabilities of the device. Right on Superchips website, it says they do not support headers or high flow cats (the latter is what I had recently purchased from solo).

I chose Livernois for tuning, and I datalog with my equipment frequently, as well as keep track of AFR with my dedicated wideband sensors, and I can say that their tune is very good and helps my car to run very well, and I've done my homework.

Currently I have longtubes, solo hfc, and solo mach catback, so given that the tuning with this device is not something that I would be targeting (already have a solution in place that is working perfectly) then just to "display" the data, I have seen better and cheaper devices and solutions, depending on the monitoring and display needs of the driver.

Still, I like this device and want to learn more, so keep the reviews and screenshots coming...

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
I realize I never answered this question.... I started with the oldskool cortex, but after my mods bypassed simple CAI boltons, I outgrew the capabilities of the device. Right on Superchips website, it says they do not support headers or high flow cats (the latter is what I had recently purchased from solo).

I chose Livernois for tuning, and I datalog with my equipment frequently, as well as keep track of AFR with my dedicated wideband sensors, and I can say that their tune is very good and helps my car to run very well, and I've done my homework.

Currently I have longtubes, solo hfc, and solo mach catback, so given that the tuning with this device is not something that I would be targeting (already have a solution in place that is working perfectly) then just to "display" the data, I have seen better and cheaper devices and solutions, depending on the monitoring and display needs of the driver.

Still, I like this device and want to learn more, so keep the reviews and screenshots coming...

--zepcom
I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that you wouldn't recommend getting one in general, not in your personal situation.

Yes CT's ofcourse are superior to just about any canned tunes but ive only owned my g8 for about 2 months so it'll be a few months til I get efilive.

But if you're looking into getting a monitoring system/scanner and don't need the tunes PLX makes a Bluetooth device called Kiwi that works extremely well and it works with the Torque app which has numerous plug ins that do way more than mine. I was looking into getting it but needed a tune so got the SC's instead.

The PLX kiwi module runs about $100 and its supposed to be the best. There are some for as low as $20 though.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
another item on the market is DashBoss, from the makers of DashHawk, this iphone/ipad/ipod bluetooth ODB2 device has extensive realtime engine metrics monitoring display and datalogging capabilities, and accepts up to two external sensor inputs, to also datalog things that the ECM is not keeping track of, such as Boost or AFR. I have an AFR on my car, for example, and I display the dashboss video out on my rearview mirror.

I've worked with torque in the past in both android phones (several) as well as a few android tablets. What I thought would be amazing with the tablet having more cpu horsepower and bigger screen real estate was quickly squashed when I realized how slow the display got when adding larger (tablet sized) or simply quantity more gauges to the torque/bluetooth solution. It didn't scale well.

I keep track of up to 12 metrics of my choosing, and can export or email to CSV or display in graph analysis mode right on my ipad. I have a few youtube videos on my zepcom channel that show some of the capabilities of this.

Car engine metrics monitoring fascinates me, it's smart to know that the mods and tune are in lockstep for the safest, most horsepower available.

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Do the 2009s not have an oil pressure sending unit from factory because I couldn't find it in the PID's list on my vivid.

I know the 08s have the Atari oil pressure/voltage gauge, why wouldn't they have them at all on the 09s especially being a performance car. That was one thing that irritates me about my car

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnbruno View Post
Do the 2009s not have an oil pressure sending unit from factory because I couldn't find it in the PID's list on my vivid.

I know the 08s have the Atari oil pressure/voltage gauge, why wouldn't they have them at all on the 09s especially being a performance car. That was one thing that irritates me about my car

The 2009's do indeed have oil pressure sending units, it's possible that superchips doesn't know about it.

The vintage double ataris were deleted from all 2009.1 and 2009.5 cars due to the terrible reviews of the 2008 models, indicating that it looked out of place, blocky and 8-bit-atari-like, and did not dim properly with the rest of the dash.

GTPPrix has been able to re-green the dual ataris to match your VIN through his website that is only open on weekends. I have the triple ataris in my car, and they plugged into the factory harness hidden behind the center stack. So your car definately has this harness, it's just not in use.

And don't forget, Superchips would need to research/find all the PID's for each model car to fully support all the things that all the different ECM's and TCM's keep track of every second that the car is powered on.

TL;DR: I actively monitor my oil sending unit readings from my dashboss and from my aftermarket triple ataris without issue on my 2009.1 car without issue.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Good deal, that will make it alot easier on me since I hate wiring (I have ocd about those types of things).

I like the aeroforce gauges alot so I may go with those if they aren't too much more $ than the triple Atari's.

I think SC's has their heads up their asses right now because they were supposed to have all the tune files that the cortex has for the vivid done 2 Weeks ago already but they haven't. But I kinda knew this might happen being one of the firsts to have one for our cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page