Car Build Teaser Pic(s) - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Car Build Teaser Pic(s) *Now with Video!*

So I may have spur of the moment decided to cam the car as well as do the 3.45's, and at the same time since its tore down im modding the engine bay.

I am starting a new business with my friend, part of this new business is powder, ceramic and internal engine part coatings. We can do any color powder and some really neat stuff... I decided to do my engine parts in Candy Red with a chrome base coat, it gives it a really deep red color that changes in the light from a dark deep red to a fairly bright red.

We are doing much more then just the coatings to which I will do a little write up on everything sometime soon.

The heads are currently having the valves machined, hopefully it will be done today so I can start my estimated 10 hours of porting and polishing on them . Heres hoping its all together by Sunday night so I can measure how long of push rods I want and get Kirk to overnight them to me for Tuesday!

So far we have totally stripped the motor, taken the differential out and are waiting to pick up new parts tomorrow. Here are some pics of what some of the powder coated parts look like so far, and how the engine bay looked like when we started last night. I will take some more pics today with the car entirely stripped.

Progress is pretty much done, just need to move heater hoses!

***Cold Start-Up Video***

2009 Hot White Pontiac G8 GT
1 7/8" Kooks Headers, 4" race converters, Magnaflow Cat-back, VMS Tune, Vararam, VMS HSRK, VMS Stage 2.5 stock converter cam, 3.45 gears some head love, Radical Advantage Powder coated engine + Tranny dipstick kit

Coming soon-FAST LSXR Manifold, Nick Williams 102mm Throttle Body, Billet Catchcan

Last edited by CanadianEh; 07-22-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Looks like a complete pita but the end result should be very nice

Sold 09 Liquid Red GT, Premium & Sport Package, Vararam, Intense Tune, Pacesetter LT headers, X-pipe, Borla axle-backs, hsrk, 160 degree thermostat

06 honda civic lx, 140hp and some wicked hubcaps lol
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Its not bad at all, it doesnt take long to coat the parts and most of it has to come off the car anyways for the cam

1 7/8" Kooks Headers, 4" race converters, Magnaflow Cat-back, VMS Tune, Vararam, VMS HSRK, VMS Stage 2.5 stock converter cam, 3.45 gears some head love, Radical Advantage Powder coated engine + Tranny dipstick kit

Coming soon-FAST LSXR Manifold, Nick Williams 102mm Throttle Body, Billet Catchcan

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM

What cam are you going with?

Sold 09 Liquid Red GT, Premium & Sport Package, Vararam, Intense Tune, Pacesetter LT headers, X-pipe, Borla axle-backs, hsrk, 160 degree thermostat

06 honda civic lx, 140hp and some wicked hubcaps lol
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 PM

Also are those mid length headers?? if so why not LT's??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 Mustang GT M6 3.73
Wrenched&tuned by CMS
G8 GT sold
Wrenched&[email protected]
[email protected] DA2400+
sound clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8trh7SkzQg
drag racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA5td_Jm1OE
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 PM

The engine bay is going to look really nice when your done.

More details on the planned engine mods...

09 GT Loaded Liquid Red, Red leather interior.
Show:
Red shift level, sports pedals, extended OEM remote, 3med front clip
Modding 07 Solstice GXP
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacman1112 View Post
What cam are you going with?
The cam is from Vector, dealt with Kirk on it and he said the cam is his stage 2.5 non DOD cam. I cannot remember the specs he told me but I will know today when I go pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycaronROIDS! View Post
Also are those mid length headers?? if so why not LT's??
Yes they are mid length headers, when I looked back and forth at them and the LT's they both seemed to give the same HP gain but I liked the dyno curve on the mid lengths more. There isnt much difference between the 2 but it ended up being personal preference.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelout View Post
The engine bay is going to look really nice when your done.

More details on the planned engine mods...

Thanks I cant wait to see it all put together, so far anyone I showed the red to in person has went nuts over it lol

Engine mods... hmm to start with I will explain how I ended up doing all of this lol. I went to install the Kook's headers on the car and when I pulled them off I noticed how extremely restricted the exhaust ports were. I then decided to pull the heads and port the exhaust and intake since I can do it myself.

So away I go pulling it apart, I then get to thinking hmmm.... a few more bolts and I can put the cam in now instead of waiting a year, so I got to talking to Kirk and decided to order his stage 2.5 non DOD cam package. I sent the heads to my local machinist and got him to do a 3 angle CNC valve job on them. So far I have ported the throttle body, and the exhaust on 1 head (took 6 hours to do just the exhaust on 1 head ) doing the other one today and hopefully the intake on both. As for the engine bay mods, I decided that because the oven to bake our powder coat was sitting beside the car... and I figured if coat some stuff, liked the color and then coated a lot more stuff lol. I also tried 1 caliper last night with a heat dispersant we have that works awesome on the backside to cool the brakes and mirror red powder on the front. It turned out great and am now doing the other 3

I am now thinking of coating some internal engine parts... combustion chamber, valves, maybe the valve springs. The coatings keep parts cooler by up to 50%, have less friction and shed oil. Why is this good? because shedding oil off parts will keep them cooler increasing performance by not having any more hot oil on them then whats needed. Less friction lets them do their job much easier. If you coat every engine part.. crank, camshaft, pistons, rods, valves, combustion chamber, cylinders, ports, valve springs, oil pan you can get gains of up to 14%.

Bit long but I wanted to explain why I am doing what im doing

Kyle

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 AM

The powdercoat looks great. Anyone that knows me well, knows that I love PC! Anyone can make a vehicle faster but to make a vehicle faster and detailed; that is a different story.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's G8 View Post
The powdercoat looks great. Anyone that knows me well, knows that I love PC! Anyone can make a vehicle faster but to make a vehicle faster and detailed; that is a different story.
Thanks, it definitely is better to have a fast car that looks good when you blow by everyone and give little old ladies the finger

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM

There is a power/flow difference and your car will be faster with the LT's but different strokes for different folks... Regardless you will enjoy either one you choose..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 Mustang GT M6 3.73
Wrenched&tuned by CMS
G8 GT sold
Wrenched&[email protected]
[email protected] DA2400+
sound clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8trh7SkzQg
drag racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA5td_Jm1OE
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 PM

I love powdercoating. The engine looks awesome. How come you didn't powdercoat the headers?

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

You cannot powder coat headers, it wont take the heat and it will burn off. I did however ceramic coat them chrome... its what ceramic is made for, it keeps them a lot cooler and they cool down to the touch within minutes.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM

let us know dyno numbers

2008 PBM G8 GT
Delivery-9-18-08
Death-3-18-12-Total Loss

New Car-??
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Well its finished and on the road, all I can say is WOW haha

Definately can hear the cam, and the cam is on the verge of needing a converter but still definitely drive-able with a stocker. It pulls incredibly hard... its supposed to rain tomorrow so hopefully by the weekend I will have some videos and some engine bay pics

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Went out in the garage and took a little video of a cold start up, ignore all the dirt im going out right now to give it a wash after all the work we did its a little dusty.

Crappy camera but it gives you the idea [IMG]http://forum.***********/images/smilies/thumbup1.gif[/IMG] I will get the car warmed up and take another one after a bit since the roads are drying up a bit !!! [IMG]http://forum.***********/images/smilies/clapping.gif[/IMG]

About the last thing I need to do is get some aluminum pipe to move the heater hoses so they are completely gone.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Garage
That red looks really hot in that engine, and I bet that car pulls hard now with the new cam!

too bad the OTR intake rubber connector hose (looks Orange?) doesn't match, that would complete the look. Or at least make it black since it does not go with the dark red very well.

Nice job, how much $$ did all this run ya, ballpark figures for the major parts?

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
That red looks really hot in that engine, and I bet that car pulls hard now with the new cam!

too bad the OTR intake rubber connector hose (looks Orange?) doesn't match, that would complete the look. Or at least make it black since it does not go with the dark red very well.

Nice job, how much $$ did all this run ya, ballpark figures for the major parts?
Thanks, yea the rubber is a bright red color it doesnt really match... if I could get a black one id be all over it.

It was very wallet friendly since we did all the work ourselves, if your interested in doing the mods you should give Kirk a call at Vector, and Greg at Pace since im in Canada and prices change from shipping/tax/exchange rates

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
It was very wallet friendly since we did all the work ourselves, if your interested in doing the mods you should give Kirk a call at Vector, and Greg at Pace since im in Canada and prices change from shipping/tax/exchange rates

I think you missed my point. If someone were to be impressed with how you powdercoated all the engine components, while the engine was already 'torn down' getting internals upgraded, what kind of ballpark $$ would some of those mods cost?

I know you did it yourself, but if you were to charge a 'customer', really loose numbers, taking into account the labor involved, paint or materials, and teardown/buildup .... how much?

That's probably gonna be the first question you get asked at every car show that you pop the hood at, so if you get an answer for it now, at least you'll be able to tell them at the shows.

you could definately make a business case for this sort of thing, even if it's not all the pieces that you did, perhaps some of the easier "bolt on" stuff in the engine compartment even. There's a lot of people out there that are into appearance mods, and this one takes the cake for sure!

Was just curious, that's all.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page