Bye Bye Old Tires, Burnouts and 360's - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Bye Bye Old Tires, Burnouts and 360's

Well my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are in at Belle Tire and they get mounted on Monday so what any car guy would do with the old tires, burnout time!

First Run:

Second Run:

Completely destroyed the tires, here is them by the end:

Off the car:

I need to talk to Pat G about my tune. It keeps shifting into second and third by itself in manual mode thats why the beginning of each burnout starts slow then finally gets better. They are not the best but it was fun!

Enjoy!

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT Sold!!!

Current: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM

A proper end to any tires life.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Garage
I like how you come out of the smoke in the first one. Nice job!

2009 G8 GT White Hot
19" Niches
Summitomo tires
JBA LT Headers
Flowmaster axlebacks
Vararam
Bo White ported TB
Tune by Shane

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 AM

My very few attempted burnouts ever since getting the Pat G tune have done the EXACT same thing. It will constantly upshift to the next gear after a few short seconds. If you figure out why it does this I would live to know. I think it's something in his trans tune settings.

New: '12 Mustang GT 5.0 6MT (SR lowering springs, Borla Touring axle back, CAI, Bama tune, 3" O/R H pipe)

***SOLD :"( ***
'09 White Hot G8 GT, Pat G cam (.634"/.608", 223/230, 112 + 2), Pat G tune, HSRK, Rotofab CAI, Magnaflow Catback, DT Tri-Y LT's, Rick Crawford intake, throttle body, and ported/milled heads, stock gears & stock stall, H & R springs, Lovells poly strut mounts, VMR V710 wheels, 11.86 @ 120.32 mph (1.94 60')
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Yesss!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeqshnr View Post
I like how you come out of the smoke in the first one. Nice job!
yeah thats what some people thought was cool at the end of the first video. Didn't plan on doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesWhiteHot View Post
My very few attempted burnouts ever since getting the Pat G tune have done the EXACT same thing. It will constantly upshift to the next gear after a few short seconds. If you figure out why it does this I would live to know. I think it's something in his trans tune settings.
Yeah it seems to shift very easily into the next gear. I tried using sport shift compared to manual which helped out but still had the issue. I will send him an email here soon and see what he says. Glad i'm not the only one with the issue.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM

OP, when I emailed him about it some 4-5 months ago, he said if the trans temp is too high it will do that. But that certainly wasn't the case when I tried my burnout that's for sure. The trans temp had to be plenty low at the time. It was cool out and the car had barely been driven prior, just enough to warm it up gently.

New: '12 Mustang GT 5.0 6MT (SR lowering springs, Borla Touring axle back, CAI, Bama tune, 3" O/R H pipe)

***SOLD :"( ***
'09 White Hot G8 GT, Pat G cam (.634"/.608", 223/230, 112 + 2), Pat G tune, HSRK, Rotofab CAI, Magnaflow Catback, DT Tri-Y LT's, Rick Crawford intake, throttle body, and ported/milled heads, stock gears & stock stall, H & R springs, Lovells poly strut mounts, VMR V710 wheels, 11.86 @ 120.32 mph (1.94 60')
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Yep, that just happened..

Cool videos! I'd try it more but hate cleaning the car afterwards!! LOL

2008 Liquid Red G8, Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
219/230, 607/610, 114 LSA, DOD Delete
Kooks LTH, kooks catted x-pipe, kooks axle back, Roto-fab CAI and 25% udp, DMH electric exhaust cutouts, little shot(alright, maybe not so little) of happy juice courtesy of HSW and tune by Tony G at HP Performance. Oh yeah, and 08 Super Bee as well!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesWhiteHot View Post
OP, when I emailed him about it some 4-5 months ago, he said if the trans temp is too high it will do that. But that certainly wasn't the case when I tried my burnout that's for sure. The trans temp had to be plenty low at the time. It was cool out and the car had barely been driven prior, just enough to warm it up gently.
hmmm interesting, my trans temp was higher because I drove it 20 minutes prior and was hard on it. But do you think its just his software then? Did he offer to try and fix it? I feel like its software but for sure could be wrong.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxredg8 View Post
Cool videos! I'd try it more but hate cleaning the car afterwards!! LOL
hahaha I know, I got rubber everywhere behind the wheels even on the exhaust tips too.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
What he said!

Mods: 222 Custom Cam, Stage 3 ported and dimpled heads, 6-piston CTS-V Brembos, GXP Facia, GXP Rear Diffuser, JBA Shorty Headers, Vararam CAI + HSRK, Custom Tune, H&R Springs, Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust w/ HF Cats, 25% UDP, 160 Thermo, Staggered Breyton GTS 20's, Fully debadged except V8 6.0L

"There's always somebody faster, they just don't look as good"
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM

that is because the stock tune is set to shift at 8198 RPMs, or something, in manual mode and 38mph from 1-2 gear shift for manual tap mode. IE, stock shifting tune will never upshift just bounce off rev limiter.

a lot of people who tune cars up the rev limiter/ fuel cutoff from the stock 6300, area to maybe 6400-6500 area, for a somewhat stock car. this could be one reason tuners may like to make an auto upshift for manual mode.

so its somewhat common for a tuner to make it shift automatically vs just hit the fuel cutoff like stock tune does

also nice end to tires, and btw what do your tire guy say when you bring them in??? did you wait to long or just have fun. lol, not so fun to clean up the bumper tho, next time tape it off..
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 G8 View Post
Yesss!!!

yeah thats what some people thought was cool at the end of the first video. Didn't plan on doing it.

Yeah it seems to shift very easily into the next gear. I tried using sport shift compared to manual which helped out but still had the issue. I will send him an email here soon and see what he says. Glad i'm not the only one with the issue.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewo View Post
that is because the stock tune is set to shift at 8198 RPMs, or something, in manual mode and 38mph from 1-2 gear shift for manual tap mode. IE, stock shifting tune will never upshift just bounce off rev limiter.

a lot of people who tune cars up the rev limiter/ fuel cutoff from the stock 6300, area to maybe 6400-6500 area, for a somewhat stock car. this could be one reason tuners may like to make an auto upshift for manual mode.

so its somewhat common for a tuner to make it shift automatically vs just hit the fuel cutoff like stock tune does

also nice end to tires, and btw what do your tire guy say when you bring them in??? did you wait to long or just have fun. lol, not so fun to clean up the bumper tho, next time tape it off..

Well that makes sense then why it automatically shifts for us. Thanks for the explanation, I never got around to email Pat G.

The guy at the tire shop was laughing a bit when I brought them in the back and said "well looks like you had a bunch of fun with those," hahaha, he was a cool guy.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 PM

here is what the stock tune looks like with hp tuners, I think pat g uses efi-live tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (93.0 KB, 11 views)

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM
'Mod'erator

Pat G tunes your trans to do that so you don't bang the rev limiter all day in manual mode. For a long time many people complained that they could not get the car to shift fast enough in manual mode when at WOT, so a hand full of tuners like pat tuned that out. He can tune it back if that is a feature you really want.

LSA, Pat G DOD cam, RCR TB, 4.5IN Intake/MAF,
CNC LS3 Heads, OBX,
H&Rs, Konis, BMR, Brembos, Slotted/Drilled Rotors
3.27 Gears, 2600 Stall, ZL1 pump, Ice tank
Tuned By Pat G and Luis at RPM Speed Center

Bolt ons Street tires
[email protected] 60ft 1.96 Da 700ft

Cam no stall Street tires
[email protected] 60ft 1.75 Da -200

Stall
[email protected] 60ft 1.66 DA 400ft

Zex 125shot
[email protected] 60ft 1.83 DA 2000ft
second gear launch

LSA 1/4???
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewo View Post
here is what the stock tune looks like with hp tuners, I think pat g uses efi-live tho

Yepp along with adjusting the proper shift RPM's that 2-1 shift needs to be changed to 2MPH so it will return to 1st gear at a stop instead of staying in second. A lot of people dont even realize they start in 2nd gear when coming to a stop in manual mode (unless you manually tap it down to first which the setting above will fix).

Capital City G8 Club /// DriveShaftShop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page