2009 G8 GT - ~238k Miles - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

2009 G8 GT - ~238k Miles

Worth it? It looks extremely clean and I can't see how those possibly couldn't be mostly highway miles. They're asking $10,900. I'd offer like $8,500-9,000.

http://www.jesmotors.com/2009_Pontia..._252944591.veh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 10:51 AM

it actually looks clean for the miles, but that would still scare me.

a highway mile is as long as a city mile.

my worries would be the lifters and dod stuff really.

Ron
"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" ~ Cake
2009 G8 GT - LSA > TT SOLD

March G8 Of the Month! Thanks so much guys!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I figure that with those miles, somebody had to have done something about the lifters. I don't know, I'm on the fence about it. I know that the LSX engines are strong and basically indestructible if you take proper care of them, but obviously that is a whole lot of miles.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM

That is a lot of miles, must be the second highest miles I have seen on these cars. Why not buy a car that has 50000 or 60000 miles.

K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:36 PM

FWIW, CarMax offered me $8000 for my 08 GT with 130,000 miles. (one year ago).

2008 Liquid Red G8GT
RotoFab CAI
Magnaflow Street Series Cat-Back
DBA Rotors, Hawk Pads, Stainless Steel Lines

2014 Chevy SS
Silver Ice Metallic
RotoFab CAI, ARH Headers, Livernois Tune
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Sarcasm Personified

Also as of note it claims it has bluetooth that is a 2009 and not a 2009.5 so no bluetooth if that interested you. Looks clean I would personally offer no more than $7500.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Because finances, brah. And again, it does look really clean. I'm not too sure. I'll send them an offer of $7,000 and I'll see what they say. If they stick to their $10,000 or whatever it is, no way in hell.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:51 PM

A Subaru dealer offered me 13 grand for my gt with 60,000 miles on it. So offer them like 5 grand...... lol
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Honestly, I'm surprised it's even at a dealership. Generally the 200k mark scares them off. They're probably (hopefully) begging to sell it.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 10:56 PM

Offer 5K, that way, if you have to put a new engine in it, you have some room to play...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 12:09 AM

AS I said before buy a GT with less than 50,000 miles.

K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Garage
I'd say test drive it. Betcha it's looser than .. .well ...

It's the risk-verses-reward scenerio -- are you against replacing major components (engine/transmission/etc) if it gives up the ghost soon after purchasing?

If the price is right for you, and you are the type who can do their own mechanic work (or trust a mechanic to inspect this car and give you their honest opinion on it after inspection!) then it's got potential to save you money and get into the game. How bad do you want it?

I know some cars with 89k miles (caugh caugh) that have probably been beat harder and more from owning them from day one than other cars with >100k on them, depends on driver and other maintenance things over the life of the car. I know most of that can't be "traced" reliably with used cars, but that's where you take the gamble and see if it pays off.

I'd be much better paying 10k for a 60-75kmile car than 7-8k for a 200+ mile car, but that's just me.

good luck op!

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
I'd say test drive it. Betcha it's looser than .. .well ...

It's the risk-verses-reward scenerio -- are you against replacing major components (engine/transmission/etc) if it gives up the ghost soon after purchasing?

If the price is right for you, and you are the type who can do their own mechanic work (or trust a mechanic to inspect this car and give you their honest opinion on it after inspection!) then it's got potential to save you money and get into the game. How bad do you want it?

I know some cars with 89k miles (caugh caugh) that have probably been beat harder and more from owning them from day one than other cars with >100k on them, depends on driver and other maintenance things over the life of the car. I know most of that can't be "traced" reliably with used cars, but that's where you take the gamble and see if it pays off.

I'd be much better paying 10k for a 60-75kmile car than 7-8k for a 200+ mile car, but that's just me.

good luck op!

--zepcom
I bough both of my cars with 36,000 & 37,000 miles on them just after the 3 year warranty. But I believe the previous owners really looked after them.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 04:40 AM

60-75kmile car
These cars will be a lot more than 10,000 dollars closer to 16 or 18,000 dollars.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

This. I love the G8, I really do but they get very expensive very fast as you go lower in miles. Hell, just about every one listed here with less than the 100k has the owner asking for like $18k. The car has had one owner and that's verified by Carfax. On the dealer's website, they say that they have a lot of service records, too. I can't help but think the car had to have been taken care of prior to this but I'm still not sure. If the price is right, I may be willing to take a chance but there's no way in hell that I'm going near their $10,900 asking price. That's just insane.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:39 PM
The Natural.

Very nice for 238k on the od. Did you test drive it and see maintenance records? Make a decision based on drivability and how tho motor sounds as well as SUSPENSION! Check the a arms shocks springs etc. if YOU like what you see offer 7,500 to get them to come back with a bottom deal offer... Good luck buddy welcome to the family soon

35% tint 20% rear, KOOKS mids W/cats, solo axelback,MJD tuned, AFE Cold air, Xpipe,mid muffler delete, Plasti Dipped front grilles and window chrome SRM! Hankook 17" ipike (cold).
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

I can't tell you how much I want one. I always told myself that if I had like 20k to spend, it'd be a G8. Regardless, I haven't had the chance yet. I sent the dealership my info and when they call back, hopefully I'll get some more information and pre-approved for a finance. I live in NJ and the dealer is in CT so I'm definitely not making a trip down there until I know I can get it. But yes, a long test drive is one of many tests!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraSieghart View Post
I can't tell you how much I want one. I always told myself that if I had like 20k to spend, it'd be a G8. Regardless, I haven't had the chance yet. I sent the dealership my info and when they call back, hopefully I'll get some more information and pre-approved for a finance. I live in NJ and the dealer is in CT so I'm definitely not making a trip down there until I know I can get it. But yes, a long test drive is one of many tests!
Well if you are dead sent on getting it make sure their is no lifter tick. Which at this point it probably has been looked after. Check the shocks & struts to make sure that they are not shot. I am pretty sure they have been replaced. If not they are done.
End links will rattle if not replaced.
Also make sure that the recalls have been done. I have never bought a used car with more than 73,000 miles.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
Well if you are dead sent on getting it make sure their is no lifter tick. Which at this point it probably has been looked after. Check the shocks & struts to make sure that they are not shot. I am pretty sure they have been replaced. If not they are done.
End links will rattle if not replaced.
Also make sure that the recalls have been done. I have never bought a used car with more than 73,000 miles.
Yup. That's one of the reasons why I'm asking you guys for your opinions--so I know what to look for! My father was a mechanic for almost twenty years so he knows what general things to look for so I'm hoping that'll help. Other than that, I know to ask them not to warm up the car before I get there so I can see if the lifters tick.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 11:31 AM

To many miles bro. You can get one with easily 100k less miles on it for the same price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page